Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's definitely ISFP. No doubts there. But, she comes off as rather intimidating. She's quite a quiet person, and won't talk unless she's either spoken to or with close friends. She's blunt, and talks in a direct way as well, and won't stand fools. She definitely keeps to herself. Perhaps part of her intimidation comes from her lack of talking and quite a lot of glare-like looks (which aren't meant in a bad way, but still).

Is this typical of an ISFP at first?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I think it depends on your temperament/personality. Some people find it intimidating. Se and Ni types tend to have an intensity to their look that Si and Ne types don't. They tend to be softer in appearance, and also a bit more affected by it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I guess I can intimidate some people around me, but it's not really intentional. (And not in the way you described). It's more like I really, genuinely, don't give a shit about what people think of me, and I don't feel a need to be included in any groups, I'm pretty comfortable by myself. I guess those are the things that could make some ISFP's seem standoffish, but... idk.

Reactions: Mapple

·
Registered
321 Posts
It could just be her face?

But I doubt its typical of ISFPs. I have a friend who looks indifferent for most part, I either look inattentive or tired at first glance.

Your description reminds me of ISTPs, especially the bluntness and the glare. From experience, its just them observing (and processing) their environment. They're not so self aware when in observer mode and may unintentionally come off as intimidating.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I actually have had multiple people tell me that I look mad when I'm not which, I guess, makes people assume I'm not very approachable, grouchy or a mean person. It's not intentional, but I usually have a million things going through my mind at any given time and I'm not concerned about how people see me since I can't control it 24/7.

I wouldn't say I'm extremely blunt but that also depends on what you mean. Any examples on how she's come off 'blunt'? I speak my mind sometimes, and sometimes I don't. It entirely depends on what's going on.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I've notice a few times before people mentioning I look like a killer lol. I guess I come across serious haha. Yeah I do seem serious sometimes. I need to smile more

Reactions: Mapple

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
yes, most definitely. its the dom Fi that has this effect and it wont change either.

·
Registered
195 Posts
From my own experience, I tend to be very quiet in the beginning (except for introductions) and will stay that way until I've had a chance to analyze those around me. I try to get a feel for common interests, acceptable topics, their general demeanor, and the type of energy they give off. I like to look before I leap.

I know that silence and an observing gaze can be intimidating. I do my best to speak bluntly as well. Dancing around the topic can be exhausting so it may be the most efficient use of her energy.

The glares that you see from her may be you catching her in the middle of processing her thoughts and emotions. Once in a while, I'll get asked my facial expression because I get so wrapped up in my thoughts/emotions that I didn't pay attention to how those manifested.

·
The spirit of the spirits
11,043 Posts
This is possible and normal since ISFPs use Te function, which can be seen as intimidating.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
tl;dr We have a hard exterior but gushy insides. :proud:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Reactions: perpetuallyreticent

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
A few years ago, the father of an acquaintance I had at the time, asked me to leave his house because he didn't like the "look I had in my eyes".

·
Registered
INFP SP/SX 6w7 1w9 4w5
61 Posts
I actually scared my own mother once... she said she felt intimidated by a person she saw through the corner of her eye and felt a rather strong aura from them. When she turned to face me and realised who it was, she just said "woah", but that kinda melted away then. I don't intentionally have a death stare, nor do I intentionally want to come across as a statue, it just happens. I'm very good at hiding away in corners where I can be alone, and sitting deathly still for extended periods of time. Some people call it intimidating, others just call it shy and reserved. Other people sometimes don't even realise I'm there until they're looking directly at me, and often react in a similar way to a person that has just been jump scared. I was only sitting there minding my own business, not attempting to give anyone a heart attack. People who don't know me also seem to think I'm quite intimidating, and quite cold initially - I tend to prefer going with a rather blank expression when I first meet someone. As for conversations, I can be hilariously blunt. I like the truth and appear quite nonchalant about some rather sensitive topics, often to the surprise of others. Other times, I just give short replies with minimal emotion. Not sure about fools, but I can't stand ingratitude, so I actually reprimanded a drunk on the streets when he insulted a poor cinnamon roll trying to help him. At times like that, I really don't look much like an ISFP and I'm more than happy to say it as it is if I don't go into sullen hiding first. I also go into non-blinking trances for long periods of time when I'm thinking about something, and have sometimes found myself either accidentally staring at people who give me rather odd (and even frightened) looks in return or I just end up almost walking into things. I can definitely relate to the OP's description and iLLu's comment about looking fierce.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
Possibly because we resist with Te. So I'm going to defend any scientific cause I know with Te in some really harsh off-color way, I'm unapologetically disgusted with adults who don't understand climate change. I have co-workers and contemporaries who are still all 1990s Lucy from Twin Peaks shit, like be nice to the undesirables, and I'm like fuck that shit, we have 12 years to stop climate change, excuse me - fossil fuels, animal agriculture, get out of here with your fast fashion, your SUV and your steak. Some people even in my senior classes didn't fit well with me. A lot of them were vegetarian or vegan but the few who were meat eaters kind of subtly fought with me, and I'm like look tool, we have x years to stop y shit and here you are having filet mignon, people don't like feeling like shit like they're social outcasts - ESPECIALLY peeps in enviro science...some have a god complex, you can't touch them (Al Gore is one of these I literally want to assassinate him slightly less than Donald Trump for all of the damage he's done to global warming poli sci) ...you have these defensive dipshits who are using more energy than average (Al Gore) or who are still eating meat (my classmates) and still want to give lip service to climate change and global warming and conservation, and I'm like look asshat...I'm just one of those people, I may seem defensive AT FIRST, like in the moment I'll fight you (Se) but in the long term (Ni) I will literally change my entire life for a goal (Fi, and I hope Ti types do it too for a different reason) ...but I guess what I'm ultimately saying is anyone who actually believes in The Cause of Humanity better buy a bike and become vegetarian.

Reactions: lunaticrabbits

·
Registered
777 Posts
Alot of ISFPs are also known for being baby-faced, charming, and disarming. I don't think intimidation is the core of the type. Someone like Kurt Cobain is a rather good example of an ISFP and the kind of vibe that I understand them to have.

I'm generally disarming with people, but I do sense there is something that keeps people at a distance. I'm not certain what it is.

Enneagram, culture, genetics, and many other details of a person's life can change what they are like, so there is going to be a broad range of people that fall under the ISFP category and some will likely seem intimidating.

Reactions: ThoughtShadows

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hell yeah, ISFPs can come across as intimidating. It’s a combination of a lot of things - like that quiet yet fierce confidence and the fact that they’re quite straightforward in speech. Throw that together with the fact that they don’t take anyone’s shit, and of course that’s going to intimidate some people.

It’s not until you’re closer with them and they’ve opened up a little more that you discover how kind, thoughtful, and sensitive they can actually be. It’s just that that sensitivity tends to be hidden behind a sincere don’t-give-a-fuck attitude.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm an ISFP with pretty good Te I reckon.

I've definitely come across as intimidating. Calm, assertive, super confident, rule breaking no fs given attitude, all this with being silent.
I'm also not afraid to voice my opinions and speak in a loud, commanding voice. However, once you get to know me, you'll see my softer side....Maybe if I like you enough. :wink:
You should see how soft I am with my girl :laughing:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts