Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally type as INTJ when I take tests; the most official assessment I took through school yielded an INTJ result. However, ever since I've started learning more about the MBTI, I've wondered if the result I got the rest of the time (INTP) was my actual type.

A recent test for my cognitive functions gave the following results:

Ne - 44.7
Ti - 40.7
Fi - 34.2
Te - 31.4
Ni - 27.1
Se - 24.2
Si - 22.2
Fe - 11.9

I assume the scores were out of fifty. Anyway, however, to come to my question, I think my living situation and current frame of mind may be influencing the way I answer question and causing a lot of my confusion in figuring out how I actually work.

My childhood was very stressful and possibly emotionally abusive (I still don't have enough distance to decide whether I'm comfortable calling it abuse), but I spent--spend--a lot of time feeling invalidated, useless, isolated, and unmotivated. Has anyone ever heard of an INTJ acting like an INTP under similar conditions or vice versa? I know of at least four close female family members who have suffered from or are suffering from clinical depression, and I'm fairly certain that I am currently depressed. Whether it would affect my cognitive processes to that extent, I don't know...

The functions really aren't helping me, because I identify with both Intuitive and Thinking functions when I read about them...One thing that leads me to suspect "INTJ" is that I started to develop and use Fi to recharge myself when things got really bad in my mid-teens.

I know that in the rare situations when I am completely removed from my family, I act more like your standard INTJ than an INTP...I'd rather take charge than collaborate if I have to work in a group; I am very charismatic and forceful about my views; people tend to recognize and respect my intelligence very quickly (sometimes to an annoying extent).

...On the flipside, I think that even if I were healthy, I'd still show as many traits of "perceiving" as "judging". I'm not all that organized, I'm often a minute or two late for things, and I really couldn't care less how nicely arranged something is as well as it's working. I'm flexible and good with change, but I don't go looking for it and don't really like changes to a good routine. Or surprises, because I am a procrastinator who believes things can be done well enough in the last two hours before they're due. To be fair, I don't procrastinate on interesting things, and some of it is lack of motivation due to depression.

Can anyone help? Thoughts? I will answer any questions you deem necessary to clear this up once and for all. :mellow:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hm. Well although I may get flamed for this, I am a firm believer you can beat depression just by changing your attitude. It's like a drug addiction, you need the support of your family, and you can't make the change unless you want to change.

I believe many people get "depressed" through a kind of emotional masochism, for some reason we like to sabotage our lives.

By the way I put depressed in quotes not because I don't think you're depressed, but because it is seen as a disease to be cured, and I don't think it's that way.

What types of things do you enjoy doing?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm. Well although I may get flamed for this, I am a firm believer you can beat depression just by changing your attitude. It's like a drug addiction, you need the support of your family, and you can't make the change unless you want to change.

I believe many people get "depressed" through a kind of emotional masochism, for some reason we like to sabotage our lives.

By the way I put depressed in quotes not because I don't think you're depressed, but because it is seen as a disease to be cured, and I don't think it's that way.

What types of things do you enjoy doing?
Oh, no, I'm not offended at all. In fact, I see depression much the same way. The thing is, I cannot change my personal attitude until I remove myself from the current situation--in which I am being continually beaten down and drained after my attitude adjustments. When I'm not in the situation, I pick myself right back up. I believe that if one makes a plan, one can overcome emotional problems quite effectively. I do have a plan for getting out, but it's not going to happen overnight. ^.^ Hence, my current feelings of exhaustion. So in conclusion, I do want to change, I plan to change, and the problem is my family. xD

Hmm...To answer the question...

-I don't like to do things I'm not good at, especially if they don't interest me.
-I enjoy acting, because it gives me a vehicle to experience and express different emotions using someone else's words, and also because it comes very easily to me. I'd like to try my hand at directing, because I can get a fairly concrete vision of where and how I'd like people to move; not telling other people waht to do is a problem for me as an actor. I like "clean" movement as far as the stage is concerned.
-I tend to latch onto certain obssessions, which can last around a year or more before burning themselves out. In this case, I find out pretty much everything I can and fear making even the slightest inaccurate statement about the topic. Topics are usually historical in nature.
-I rather like doing math, but I tend to skip a lot of steps and show really scattered and vague work, so that when I make an error, it's hard to find and correct it. Something I produce is trash if it has a mistake in the process...It needs to be redone.
-I like sitting and thinking--usually about a single topic, developing and embellishing it. I can say to myself, "I'm going to think about [such and such]" and do it with pleasure for quite a long time. I can control my thought process and use it as a recreational activity. If I suddenly make a connection or have an idea, which I do sometimes, I will become very excited and immediately start investigating and probing this new idea. Sometimes this involves calling my friends and telling them about every new additional facet to my pet thought.
-I start a lot of projects, but won't finish them if they're not perfect or if I hit a block. I don't think of it as not ever finishing; I think of it as being on a very slow road to completing them. I like precision and can sit for a long time finding the right word or the right tone or the right color.
-Understanding is the most important thing to me in any discipline. If I cannot wrap my mind around something completely and with confidence, I become anxious and uspet. It's not enough just to follow the steps; I need to know why the steps work. That way, it's knowledge and not just memorization, and I'm not dependent on the Steps if I forget one. I will sit down and attack a concept in my head and be determined to understand it.
-I was better at language classes than most adolescents because of this. I wanted to be fluent and to understand how to speak German and Spanish rather than just parroting back phrases.
-If I'm not good at something (ie. "critical approaches to literature") and it's not something that can be taught through a definite theory, I tend to term it "BS" when frustrated. :crazy: I don't like subjective judgements being used in place of good, solid objectivity.
-I don't like authority figures when I don't have a good reason to respect them (ie. expertise).
-I want to teach because I like explaining the subjects of my enthusiasm to people.
-I like to study and absorb information when I'm interested in something.
-I don't like mundane things like making sure my socks and sweatpants are in different drawers. Who cares?

...Is that exhaustive enough? ;;>.> I know the INTx is definite enough, so I omitted the rants on my views toward people and feelings.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Well do you think you have Ni (introverted intuition) or Ti (introverted thinking) as dominant?
The difference between INTJs and INTPs is not just 1 letter - the whole cognitive function ladder becomes rearranged.
INTPs: Ti-Ne-Si-Fe
INTJs: Ni-Te-Fi-Se
So figure out which functions you use, then you'll know which one you are. Places to read about functions:
ENFP Wiki
MBTI characteristics & 16 Personality Types
Intro to function theory: personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html

If you are indeed an INTP and not an INTJ you will also find this detailed profile to resonate quite a lot with you: An INTP Profile.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I generally type as INTJ when I take tests; the most official assessment I took through school yielded an INTJ result. However, ever since I've started learning more about the MBTI, I've wondered if the result I got the rest of the time (INTP) was my actual type.
Good thinking... The test results in themselves are as often as not misleading. And I guess, that's why your here... :wink:

A recent test for my cognitive functions gave the following results:

Ne - 44.7
Ti - 40.7
Fi - 34.2
Te - 31.4
Ni - 27.1
Se - 24.2
Si - 22.2
Fe - 11.9
I'll return to the test results. They are rarely acccurate, but can still be an indication.

I'm fairly certain that I am currently depressed. Whether it would affect my cognitive processes to that extent, I don't know...
It does. Big way... If you have done enough introspection, however, you this might still be a quite conscious process, so it doesn't necessarily imply that you will be unable to type yourself correctly.

The functions really aren't helping me, because I identify with both Intuitive and Thinking functions when I read about them...One thing that leads me to suspect "INTJ" is that I started to develop and use Fi to recharge myself when things got really bad in my mid-teens.
Makes sense...

I know that in the rare situations when I am completely removed from my family, I act more like your standard INTJ than an INTP...I'd rather take charge than collaborate if I have to work in a group; I am very charismatic and forceful about my views; people tend to recognize and respect my intelligence very quickly (sometimes to an annoying extent).
If I were to guess, I'd say your true self would be more likely to express itself when you are away from your family, as then you would not be re-living the effects of your childhood in the same way.

...On the flipside, I think that even if I were healthy, I'd still show as many traits of "perceiving" as "judging". I'm not all that organized, I'm often a minute or two late for things, and I really couldn't care less how nicely arranged something is as well as it's working. I'm flexible and good with change, but I don't go looking for it and don't really like changes to a good routine. Or surprises, because I am a procrastinator who believes things can be done well enough in the last two hours before they're due. To be fair, I don't procrastinate on interesting things, and some of it is lack of motivation due to depression.
The P/J dimension of MBTI is probably just as misunderstood as the I/E dimension. All those things could be found in equal amount in either Ps or Js depending on learned behaviour. You seem to be a perfectionist, and that would be totally natural if you have been pushed in that direction during your childhood. The best way to go for clearing the INTJ/INTP question, is to look at how you use your N and T. Extraverted versus introverted T and N are very different, and in an INTx, there is always one intraverted and one extraverted. You could also look at which functions you use the least. Look at vel's post, and you see the differences between the types.

-I don't like to do things I'm not good at, especially if they don't interest me.
-I enjoy acting, because it gives me a vehicle to experience and express different emotions using someone else's words, and also because it comes very easily to me. I'd like to try my hand at directing, because I can get a fairly concrete vision of where and how I'd like people to move; not telling other people waht to do is a problem for me as an actor. I like "clean" movement as far as the stage is concerned.
-I tend to latch onto certain obssessions, which can last around a year or more before burning themselves out. In this case, I find out pretty much everything I can and fear making even the slightest inaccurate statement about the topic. Topics are usually historical in nature.
-I rather like doing math, but I tend to skip a lot of steps and show really scattered and vague work, so that when I make an error, it's hard to find and correct it. Something I produce is trash if it has a mistake in the process...It needs to be redone.
-I like sitting and thinking--usually about a single topic, developing and embellishing it. I can say to myself, "I'm going to think about [such and such]" and do it with pleasure for quite a long time. I can control my thought process and use it as a recreational activity. If I suddenly make a connection or have an idea, which I do sometimes, I will become very excited and immediately start investigating and probing this new idea. Sometimes this involves calling my friends and telling them about every new additional facet to my pet thought.
-I start a lot of projects, but won't finish them if they're not perfect or if I hit a block. I don't think of it as not ever finishing; I think of it as being on a very slow road to completing them. I like precision and can sit for a long time finding the right word or the right tone or the right color.
-Understanding is the most important thing to me in any discipline. If I cannot wrap my mind around something completely and with confidence, I become anxious and uspet. It's not enough just to follow the steps; I need to know why the steps work. That way, it's knowledge and not just memorization, and I'm not dependent on the Steps if I forget one. I will sit down and attack a concept in my head and be determined to understand it.
-I was better at language classes than most adolescents because of this. I wanted to be fluent and to understand how to speak German and Spanish rather than just parroting back phrases.
-If I'm not good at something (ie. "critical approaches to literature") and it's not something that can be taught through a definite theory, I tend to term it "BS" when frustrated. :crazy: I don't like subjective judgements being used in place of good, solid objectivity.
-I don't like authority figures when I don't have a good reason to respect them (ie. expertise).
-I want to teach because I like explaining the subjects of my enthusiasm to people.
-I like to study and absorb information when I'm interested in something.
-I don't like mundane things like making sure my socks and sweatpants are in different drawers. Who cares?
I bolded some things that seem to indicate INTP to me.

And for the test results, if we assume INTP, Ti and Ne are clearly the two right in the top. Si and Fe are clearly in the bottom. The scores could probably be interpreted as ENFP (NeFiTeSi) but that doesn't fit with your description. They do not seem to fit INTJ (NiTeFiSe), but of course they could simply be off. So from the test results too, I'd say INTP is a possibility.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good thinking... The test results in themselves are as often as not misleading. And I guess, that's why your here... :wink:

I'll return to the test results. They are rarely acccurate, but can still be an indication.

It does. Big way... If you have done enough introspection, however, you this might still be a quite conscious process, so it doesn't necessarily imply that you will be unable to type yourself correctly.

Makes sense...

If I were to guess, I'd say your true self would be more likely to express itself when you are away from your family, as then you would not be re-living the effects of your childhood in the same way.

The P/J dimension of MBTI is probably just as misunderstood as the I/E dimension. All those things could be found in equal amount in either Ps or Js depending on learned behaviour. You seem to be a perfectionist, and that would be totally natural if you have been pushed in that direction during your childhood. The best way to go for clearing the INTJ/INTP question, is to look at how you use your N and T. Extraverted versus introverted T and N are very different, and in an INTx, there is always one intraverted and one extraverted. You could also look at which functions you use the least. Look at vel's post, and you see the differences between the types.

I bolded some things that seem to indicate INTP to me.

And for the test results, if we assume INTP, Ti and Ne are clearly the two right in the top. Si and Fe are clearly in the bottom. The scores could probably be interpreted as ENFP (NeFiTeSi) but that doesn't fit with your description. They do not seem to fit INTJ (NiTeFiSe), but of course they could simply be off. So from the test results too, I'd say INTP is a possibility.
Wow...Your post was extremely helpful, and I really need to mull it all over before responding to most of it. <3

Yeah, I'm definitely not an ENFP; one of my best friends is one, and I just don't understand how she can be around people so much or why she always brings things back to emotions. xD

My other best friend is a confirmed INTP--and our differences are causing my main doubts about being an INTP myself. I'm cockier, more confident, and much quicker to lead and direct people...I'm also more motivated academically, mainly because I place a higher importance in taking the hardest classes and getting the best grades because I can't stand failure and can't resist standing out. >.>

Reactions: penchant
1 - 6 of 6 Posts