Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's possible, but I'm thinking within the frame of how ISTPs behave and learn...how would one go about doing it? There are topics that I am very knowledgable and passionate about, and at times when I am able to dialogue with others...a lot of times I turn into a stuttering, mumbling mush.

At times, however...I am very articulate, to the point where I seem like a completely different person. I can't figure out the correlation, but I would like to be able to bring that side of me out more often...or at will rather. Would this require a complete change in personality altogether...I've tried hanging around people who are more talkative, but it doesn't work. I've tried reading books on becoming a better speaker...I read the damn dictionary on occasion, and at one point I used to carry a pocket dictionary around just to increase my vocabulary.

I've done a lot, almost everything I can think of short of *ahem*, chemically altering my personality.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I went on a quest to become more likable / positive / optimistic. I concluded that I cannot.

The only time I can go out of way to pretend being different from who I am is when I want it for the moment. When that happens I just muster / cover up and do. For instance, public speaking / presentations. I'm not really someone to talk openly, though I don't think I'm actually bad at it, not worse than others though. So if I have to hold a presentation at the front of a class I just take a breather and override my typical being for the necessary time frame. Inevitably however I'll always fall back into my own pattern eventually - it's draining to keep up and definitely doesn't seem to be stick around permanently as change.

EDIT: If done repeatedly chances are you'll grow more familiar with overriding your core habits for the time being, that however will always remains just that. Wearing a mask for a short lived moment before you bounce back to the typical you. It can be misleading at times, if you however leave your comfort zone to the point and so much that it's no longer uncomfortable it may takes a permanent effect.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was quick, lol.

Sometimes my extroverted side comes out naturally in social and public settings and can remain that way for hours, for no apparent reason at all. Not because I just got paid, got laid (LOL), go on a vacation, graduate from something, etc. The only time I notice that it tends to come out like clockwork, is when I'm either frustrated or mad...than a sarcastic social asshole I become.

If I try to force it, it becomes exhausting. And a quite obvious change will occur instantaneously once I'm done putting up that front. It's somewhat comical to me, espicially when I meet new people and they think I'm this charming extrovert, and several minutes or several days later when we talk again, I turn into this social boob.

But I'm just tired of seeing some of my ideas and thoughts and plans being pushed to the wayside, or someone else coming up with the exact same idea long afte rI do, but because I am unable to articulate it at the time, it goes unheard.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I know a lot of extroverts who are awful at public speaking, or communicating their ideas verbally. I don't think it's necessarily your introversion that is the root cause of not being able to articulate ideas clearly sometimes. It's probably more a factor of the group dynamics, your mood, your security in the knowledge you're speaking about, etc.

I have my moments, too, when I'm very outgoing, articulate, etc. I just see it as me being completely comfortable because of the environment and/or the people I'm with. Not so much that I "became extroverted" or "overcame introversion" but that I was comfortable. In small groups of friends, I can be the center of attention. Change the dynamic by one tiny bit, though, and I might be at the edge of the group, completely silent and observing.

Maybe you can figure out, over time, which environments seem to bring out the best in your communication abilities, and then try to replicate that when you need to be more outgoing and articulate? Over time, maybe lots of practice will help you overcome the less comfortable situations...?

Or maybe I'm completely wrong. I haven't been wrong yet today, so I'm definitely due. :happy:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to take a mental note of when it happens, and see if I can replicate those circumstances.

What's funny...some people that I used to think were great at speaking in social settings...a lot of them just have talking points or jokes that they've been sitting on until the right moment to actually bring them out.

I guess your right, there aren't many people that are "great" at public speaking, and just because your an extrovert doesn't necessarily mean you are anymore capable at doing it either.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quyn, I didn't see your second post before I responded, sorry.

I'm the same way - I can be very charming and fun to be around, and then just withdraw or become boring or uncommunicative or whatever. I really do think it's a dynamic change. I know that I can only take so much of anything. Like, say, at a bar. You know when a group of girls comes in and they all start that screeching thing they do? Like if "their SONG" comes on the jukebox and they all screech and start dancing? Well, the first few times they do it, I'm tolerant and I can maintain my social cool. But by the fifth time I've been assaulted by their obnoxious fucking voices and stupid behavior, I'm just done. My demeanor changes. It's just too much noise.

I'm the same way with a lot of different things - smells, lighting, etc. I'm good for a while, but once I'm overwhelmed I'm gone.

If a conversation stays in one place for too long, people repeating themselves or making me repeat myself, I just bow out after a while. It's tedious and annoying.

There are a lot of triggers for me to stop enjoying a moment, actually. I'm a bit hypersensitive to noise and scent (especially), and if they overwhelm me, I can't continue being outgoing or articulate because all I can concentrate on is the noise or the lighting changes or whatever. Or being touched/bumped/crowded in. You know, lots of different stimulation.

It's hard to always be in control of your environment, but I have learned to accept that there are certain things that will make an outing much less fun for me... so I try to stick to places and people that don't trigger my withdrawals. Basically.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As far as I read about introverts, it is not possible to change your type; you can always act more extraverted, but it will tire you much faster than if you would be just the normal you. Try my way, I discovered how to appear much more of a extravert on parties without really being one: find something practical to do. I'm almost always the official photographer or I DJ or I take care of the barbeque ... So even though you're in the centre, much less communication is desired from your side because you have the excuse of doing "important" stuff ;)

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I can relate t the impulses of being outgoing once every blue moon. Ever year I have my 'social phase' at random, sometimes even twice. If that happens I just meet up and talk to people I haven't for months/years as if it was yesterday we last meet and see what's up.

In a group I'm comfortable in it's certainly is easier to be outgoing, any stranger however and I keep back to myself. Lastly because many of my lines break quite some rule standards of many others, so it's easy for me to be 'out of line'. Not that I particularly cared much myself, but I rather be quiet than have some eccentric persons go nuts over any of my comment and ruin the evening for everyone. While I handle conflict well and win out of principle I'm the last one to seek it.

As Chiagirl I'm also very sensitive to noises, one wrong noise can cause me the headache of my life. I can literally feel how something in my head popped and pain is going to prevail and reign supreme. If I don't have any Paracetamol with me I get pretty cranky from there out on, and it's usually not pretty.

Ultimately however I still think that you can force to a degree by making it a habit, as awkward it may be at first it should smoothen out the longer and more often you try. It may always feel fake to you in person though, as you're fully aware what you really are. I actually occasionally start off by telling people I'm socially awkward / anti-social as I don't mind speaking about my traits, as they're facts :blushed:

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I know a lot of extroverts who are awful at public speaking, or communicating their ideas verbally. I don't think it's necessarily your introversion that is the root cause of not being able to articulate ideas clearly sometimes. It's probably more a factor of the group dynamics, your mood, your security in the knowledge you're speaking about, etc.
Agreed, it sounds as though extraverting connoted in this thread iis being equated with behavior and skills. Type has no bearing on either. The attitudes are simply the focus of energy either toward the Self (introverted) or the external world or object (extraverted). Introverts deplete their energies when having to extravert too much and extraverts deplete theirs when they do not extravert enough. We all have the ability to extravert using our Se for short periods, but it is not our dominant attitude so it can and does exhaust us.

Furthermore it should be apparent from your statements that it’s not just extraverting you find arduous, it’s specifically Fe:
I've tried hanging around people who are more talkative, but it doesn't work. I've tried reading books on becoming a better speaker...I read the damn dictionary on occasion, and at one point I used to carry a pocket dictionary around just to increase my vocabulary.

I went on a quest to become more likable / positive / optimistic. I concluded that I cannot.

The only time I notice that it tends to come out like clockwork, is when I'm either frustrated or mad...than a sarcastic social asshole I become.

I'm the same way - I can be very charming and fun to be around, and then just withdraw or become boring or uncommunicative or whatever. I really do think it's a dynamic change.

Lastly because many of my lines break quite some rule standards of many others, so it's easy for me to be 'out of line'.
Ti is our dominant function, therefore Fe at best will only be as strong as our Ti is weak. We extravert using our Se so we are more inclined to take in information (i.e., being highly observant) than we are to connect to people. The extraversion that we prefer is usually more conducive to spontaneous moments than a planned effort to be a certain way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts