Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every ESFP that I've ever known has been an extreme optimist. I've never known a pessimistic ESFP? Agree?

Reactions: LittleMermaid

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have my moments where my life sucks, but then I get over it and focus on the good stuff life has to offer.

Reactions: ENFPathetic

·
God of 1000 Suns
2,547 Posts
yes I can be pessimistic especially when alone, but in the presence of people or those who are cheery, its easy to forget about it and be optimistic again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ohhhh did you touch a nerve........If you could hear my daily thoughts this past year on my views of life and people and the mundane, and purposeless that sometimes I feel You would be surprised that IM AN ESFP FEMALE. Yes you can say Ive been jaded, hurt or I was angry.... I now after many books, lessons of life, call it realistic and maybe pessimistic... I see no point in many things. I just accept it to a degree that were here spinning our wheels.... THe first book by allan watts called become who you are was what put me into the deepest thoughts of my life and i forever am changed at the way I look at everything. My demeaner is smiling and upbeat and entusiastic yet the rest is what I have described so there you have it... RAW TRUTH. IT IS POSSIBLE MY FRIEND.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I seem to play the opposite guy. If im with a person that thinks everythng is peachy, when clearly it isnt, ill be the pessimist. When everyone else is gloomy, I seem suddenly to pop up with odd optimism. So to answer your question, yes it is possible, just less likely.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Sometimes I feel like I am when everything is falling apart around me but I can't really say I am. I am always looking for ways to improve my situation and dislike just complaining. I expect things to go well and am genuinely confused when they do not, which sometimes makes me anxious/depressed but I don't think that's the same thing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Of course

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have my moments where my life sucks, but then I get over it and focus on the good stuff life has to offer.
Yeah, I bounce back pretty quick. I can feel really down in rough situations and even without the situations being fixed feel way better and full of optimism a couple hours later.

I could text someone in the afternoon about despair over frustrations and in the evening the person asks me about it and I'm confused, "what are you talking about?"

Person explains what I was talking about, I say, "oh that, I'm sure I'll definitely pull through better than ever, don't be such a pessimistic. "

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I'm an optimist in the sense, that I have faith that everything works out somehow eventually. However, I also suffer bouts of depression and disassociation from people, where I feel sad, alone, and unloved, as well as unmotivated to do anything.
Fact is, I'm pretty broke and have been since almost forever, my parents don't own anything either and make even less money than me, I don't have a career I would have chosen for myself and spend most of my working hours doing things that don't generate the value that is important for me. I can't afford to do almost anything I like doing, have been alone for a long time and yes, it makes me pretty bitchy and whiny at times, when I seclude myself, because I figure, I don't want to be with me right now, so how could anybody else want to?:laughing: I also struggle with some maybe not so serious, yet very irritating health issues.
On the bright side, when things work out my way, even little ones, I can find pure joy in them, I can be grateful for what I have and I have a fantastic, supportive family, so I'm pretty grounded and have what to come back to from my dark moods.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Probably but the problem is Aux Fi and Ter Te. Together they want the ExFP to live true to themselves and express themselves in the world. Pessimism would violate both Fi beliefs and compromise Te action. So pessimism would probably be lead to depression and maybe even suicide.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
@Toroidal, ESFPs can get depressed, just as much as the next type. We know what we enjoy, we are willing to work for it, but if something isn't in our hands and we can do nothing about it, or if we just have to wait it out or rely on someone other than ourselves, we don't deal too well with that.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Probably but the problem is Aux Fi and Ter Te. Together they want the ExFP to live true to themselves and express themselves in the world. Pessimism would violate both Fi beliefs and compromise Te action. So pessimism would probably be lead to depression and maybe even suicide.
This is ridiculous. Any type can be a pessimist. How the fuck does that violate Fi beliefs if those ARE your beliefs? People need to stop making up stuff on this website and spouting it off like it's fact.

Signed, an ESFP pessimist, whose life experience engendered pessimism and who is just as prone to it as the next person given the same life experience.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts