Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to be an INTP yet seem like an INFP, like be mistaken for one because of the way s/he writes? What is the difference between the communication style of an INFP and an INTP? Is it possible for an INTP to match an INFP when describing feelings in written format (in essays, prose and such)?

What are the differences between the principles of an INTP and the values of an INFP?

I'm so confused. I've scored INTP since the first time I took the MBTI (and I didn't know anything about it then) up until now. Even when I took tests that included the alignment of Cognitive Functions, I would score INTP (and according to the tests, if I wasn't, then I was probably ENTP, if not then either INTJ or ISTP). I've RARELY scored INFP--it happened like once, twice, no more than five times, but after an incident (two incidents actually), it got me curious.

What if I really was an INFP? I know that in Cognitive Funcition tests, my Fi would always score second to the last, next to Fe, but still--can't completely eliminate the idea just because I've been scoring INTP all this time, can I?

**Just so you know, here's my Cognitive Function Alignment:
[ According to one site: Ti - Ni - Ne - Te - Si - Se - Fi - Fe ]
[ According to another: Ti - Ne - Ni - Se - Te - Si - Fi - Fe ]

Anyway, just so you know, the incident wasn't anything big. And it only happened twice. First was when according to a site, I wrote (prose) like an INFP. Second was when I was ranting and someone suggested that I might be an INFP.

After the second incident, I researched because it got me really curious, and then from there, I just got confused. I'd state some facts about myself, but I wouldn't know what to share that could possibly help. Maybe you could ask questions. I'm so sorry.

Anyway, this isn't really anything serious. I'm just itching curious. I just want to know which is best fit for me.

Although I think I'm really an INTP, I want to prove it (or if I'm actually not, then I'd like to know why). I'm just interested, nothing too serious. But I want accuracy anyway. I just want to know which type is more accurate. I understand that as humans we use all 8 cognitive functions, but I want to know which is my dominant function [Ti or Fi] and which is my 8th function [Fi or Ti].

I know the tests have stated INTP, and almost never INFP, but what if the tests were wrong? What if I interpreted the questions wrong?

Up until now I'd take the test once in a while for fun, but then, sometimes I wonder, what if I'm just actually choosing those answers because I know they'd lead me to the score 'INTP'?

I've already consulted some of my friends about this, and those who have read the profile of an INTP said that that was totally me, but I don't know. What if they were just saying that?

I may not or may believe why you would think I'm an INTP or why you would think that I'm not (and instead an INFP), but please do let me hear your insights anyway. If you want to cite examples, then please do. It may help to let me figure it out on my own how this whole thing works through analysis of situation than to just explain it to me.

Anyway, that's all. I'm sorry for dragging you into this nothing too serious, just interesting matter (interesting for me at least). :laughing:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
This might be helpful: http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/3074-ti-v-fi-closer-look.html
Haven't read it myself but I figured it is good since it is sticky thread xD

For myself I can say that I have a rather highly developed Fi (at least if we assume the online cognitive functions tests are somewhat accurate) and I do realize that when expressing my feelings I do sound a lot like an INFP friend of mine despite the differences in expression styles.

You mention that you might answer the tests questions biased (which I guess everybody does) but the simple fact is that the first times when you did the tests you had no clue how to answer to get a certain type. From what I know (which is based on rather limited personal experience) is that INFPs can behave like INTPs but not consistently. If you were an INFP it should show in tests more than just once or twice.

As a whole your whole post and doubting sound a lot like an INTP train of thought (for me).

·
Registered
INTP
5,111 Posts
Scanned through the post and I've decided you write like an INTP.

INFPs write beautifully and illustratively. INTPs write in a way that's concise and logical but still manages to use way more text than is really needed (classic information overload because of the desire to make sure all necessary snippets of data are provided. I'm doing it now actually).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do realize that when expressing my feelings I do sound a lot like an INFP friend of mine despite the differences in expression styles.
As a whole your whole post and doubting sound a lot like an INTP train of thought (for me).
Can you please elaborate on the differences in the expression style of an INTP and an INFP? I'm just interested. It was basically the reason why I was so confused over my type. :laughing:
Also, how can you say that this post generally sounds INTP and how can you say that you sound INFP when talking about your feelings? (I'm sorry for asking too many questions, I just wanna know so that maybe I could thicken the line between INTP||INFP--or at least Ti||Fi)

Anyway, thank you for linking me that thread! I've just finished reading it, and I've become more confident that I'm an INTP. Haha!

Fi can work with small inconsistencies as long as the bigger picture can still function as whole.
It's not going to work out for me at all. ; u ; When there's a missing piece or something that seems out of place whenever I'm, let's say, trying to understand a lesson at school, even though things are going to work out well even without that piece of information, I find it difficult to move on and take the next step. I'd need to get the information I've missed no matter what. If not, then I must figure it out. Or else I'll resist from understanding the lesson completely.

Anyway, if ever will come a time when you'll be in doubt or maybe just want something interesting to read, you can try reading the thread you've linked me. It's actually quite cool! Very insightful.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scanned through the post and I've decided you write like an INTP.
That's cool. I was worried that I've lost my logical touch. :cool:
Just kidding. :laughing:

INTPs write in a way that's concise and logical but still manages to use way more text than is really needed (classic information overload because of the desire to make sure all necessary snippets of data are provided. I'm doing it now actually).
This though. Thank you. Everything just clicked in my head now.

Yes. I must say, I am like that (in written conversations especially). And although I think that when it comes to writing prose I have better control over this part of me now that I'm a bit more educated about the ways of writing compared to how I was then, the temptation is never really gone. :laughing: And sometimes, I still end up giving into the temptation and allow myself to include useless details. /sigh

·
Registered
559 Posts
In my experience with myself and my friends, in contradiction to popular belief, it's easier for an INTP to be confused between INFP and INTP. It's much easier for an INTP to mistake his inner emotions with Fi, than it is for an INFP to even find something in accordance with Ti's working...

·
I love my everything
10,925 Posts
I've noticed that when INTPs try to explain something, they write step by step.

For example: Use words like "also", "in addition", or imply thoughts one after another.

Other times, INTPs writings can be explanatory in that they try to cover different angles, make exceptions--they look out for details and make active choices when writing and explaining. ...It's hard to explain.

EDIT: I forgot to answer your question. Yes, I have read that a lot of INTPs get mistyped as INFPs.

·
Banned
512 Posts
Check this out - Typealyzer . I'm not how accurate this is, but it did type me as INTJ on all my writing samples (except for my travel blog, which was typed as ESFP. Apparently ESFPs love to travel.).

Edit - To answer your question. Yes. I find it hard to tell between INTPs and INFPs sometimes. Also, I think cognitive function tests are incredibly inaccurate since each type expresses the functions differently, which the test does not account for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts