Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been reading a bunch recently on how we can act as our reverse functions under stress, and our shadow functions for an 'in the grip' episode, but I was wondering if it is possible for us to ever act like our reverse shadow functions and when this would occur.

I will use myself as an example.

I am an ISTJ:
Si Te Fi Ne

When under stress, I can use my reverse functions, an ENFP:
Ne Fi Te Si

When having an 'in the grip' episode, I can use my shadow functions, an ESTP:
Se Ti Fe Ni

But what I want t know is if it is possible for me to use my reverse shadow functions of an INFJ and when this would happen:
Ni Fe Ti Se

Does anyone know anything about this topic? Is this even possible?

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I think everybody has all cognitive functions present. We're all human after all. The MBTI test just determines which ones you use most of the time, but doesn't limit you to these. These functions tend to be most developed in you, and that then gives rise to certain personality traits that get associated with the four-letter profiles.

But there is nothing to stop you from momentarily focusing on introverted intuition say. It is just that it will probably going to be short-lived experience from which you may not get very much. Inferior functions work out in this rather black-and-white manner and don't deliver same breadth and scope of experience as they yield to a person who is used to them being his or her primary function.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The order of those functions is about archetypes, and not about any association with another type and its order.
For the other type will manifest the primary functions in a more ego-syntonic manner, while the type with the same functions as shadows will manifest them in a more negative and stress-induced manner. So they won't even look the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts