Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
No, makes no sense, at all.
I don't see how personality has anything to do with how someone looks.
All I can think off is that you might get to know how much that person cares for how he/she comes over to other people, but besides that, you get no information about the personality.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Well, technically, yes. But, it would be little more than a lucky educated guess based on statistics (women more likely to be F, rare vs common types, etc.) plus how they appear. Smiles and body language can be really telling. E or I might be easiest to discern, then T or F especially if they are in a group...
So, in a sense, I think you can get close, but generalizations are just that, you can't expect to always get it right.
Just take a stock photo of a random person.

Most of us would guess ESFP, right?

Reactions: PseudoSenator

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
October gave a really good answer.

One might be really accurate if they guessed INTJ after seeing a picture of someone with a death stare accompanied by a serious facial expression hahaha.

·
Registered
782 Posts
October gave a really good answer.

One might be really accurate if they guessed INTJ after seeing a picture of someone with a death stare accompanied by a serious facial expression hahaha.
but that could also be ISTJ.

Reactions: PseudoSenator

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, technically, yes. But, it would be little more than a lucky educated guess based on statistics (women more likely to be F, rare vs common types, etc.) plus how they appear. Smiles and body language can be really telling. E or I might be easiest to discern, then T or F especially if they are in a group...
So, in a sense, I think you can get close, but generalizations are just that, you can't expect to always get it right.
Just take a stock photo of a random person.

Most of us would guess ESFP, right?

Just curious...what stands out that makes you guess ESFP instead of ENFP?

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Not much. I would go either way. Her expression just reminds me of a Heather Locklear ESFP-type. When I imagine the ENFP expression, I think of it as more toned-down or demure.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yes and no...I think it depends. There's two sides to a coin, but for just a picture alone, we can only see one side. I think its hard to with just one picture, but maybe if you had multiple pictures of someone in different scenario's can we begin to type someone based on a picture.

Hope that made sense ._____.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not much. I would go either way. Her expression just reminds me of a Heather Locklear ESFP-type. When I imagine the ENFP expression, I think of it as more toned-down or demure.
Hmm. Can you see the N in my profile picture? What would you type me going on that picture if you didnt know my type?

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Yes.

It takes alot of personal experience and mbti experience.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Hmm. Can you see the N in my profile picture? What would you type me going on that picture if you didnt know my type?
To be honest, I don't know, since I already have that bias. But, you appear really warm and welcoming. I'd guess ExFx, at least.

Anyway, I'd just do it for nothing more than fun.
I think it'd be really sad if people saw someone and thought "he/she looks like a xxxx, I don't like xxxx's, I'm not going to have anything to do with that person," but there are a few people I can think of who would do just that. :sad:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Humans are image producing creatures. Therefore, the images that we create (be it dreams, doodles, etc.) all have significance. Much can be gleaned through looking at such things. But, we must know our cognitive bias, as we have a tendency to project this into how we interpret.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My gut instinct was ENFP as well, actually...

·
Registered
297 Posts
I clicked on your profile before I did anything else today, because I saw that you recently viewed my profile.

I thought ENxP almost instantly, and then looked over and saw ENFP which is awesome, because I love ENFPs.

I have to admit, when browsing online personal ads, I do perform a preliminary "typing" based on the pictures provided, and people do get screened out from that initial typing, I then read profiles, which often screen out/in people that I was iffy about based on pictures alone. (I am not screening based only on type, but that is what is applicable to this thread).

I know I am looking for an NF to have a relationship with (with a strong lean towards NFP), or a few other types based on certain other qualities. I am 29 and I have been in 2 long term relationships that didn't work out... I am ok with my screening methods... I am looking for certain things that I think will be compatable with my outlook on life, and I am not going to be randomly messaging people just because their name is on a dating site.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I clicked on your profile before I did anything else today, because I saw that you recently viewed my profile.

I thought ENxP almost instantly, and then looked over and saw ENFP which is awesome, because I love ENFPs.

I have to admit, when browsing online personal ads, I do perform a preliminary "typing" based on the pictures provided, and people do get screened out from that initial typing, I then read profiles, which often screen out/in people that I was iffy about based on pictures alone. (I am not screening based only on type, but that is what is applicable to this thread).

I know I am looking for an NF to have a relationship with (with a strong lean towards NFP), or a few other types based on certain other qualities. I am 29 and I have been in 2 long term relationships that didn't work out... I am ok with my screening methods... I am looking for certain things that I think will be compatable with my outlook on life, and I am not going to be randomly messaging people just because their name is on a dating site.
Before you brushed your teeth even? :wink:

Can you explain why you thought ENxP almost instantly?

·
Registered
297 Posts

can... but not at this very moment... taking my mom out to play some Canasta...

·
Registered
297 Posts
can... but not at this very moment... taking my mom out to play some Canasta...
Ok, well.. my mom decided she didn'twant to go be around people... (She is an INFJ and my dad passed away two weeks ago, so she has been hiding in her introvert shell)... so it turns out that I can answer...

Darn straight... I saw "cute ENFP viewed your profile" and had to check AT THAT VERY MOMENT!!! (and yes, I think you are VERY attractive in your pic)...

but in seriousness, I meant first thing I did once logging on to PerC (but you knew that)

Hmmm... this is a bit harder to describe... a lot of it is from 11 years dealing with type and recognizing commonalities in facial features...

The thing that struck me most... first impressions are usually along the line of NF/NT/SP/SJ, and then filling out the other 2 letters, although with N's I am getting much better at guesstimating the full type fairly quickly. I think a big part of that is just spending the amount of time I do around Ns versus Ss...

Anyway... back to your picture...

E came from a few things, you are sitting with a very open posture in what appears a very natural setting for you, I's you often find either with a more closed posture (arms crossed or hunched up) or in a more tense or "posed" position for pictures (this really only applies in posed pictures, spur of the moment, unexpected pictures, the I doesn't have the opportunity to "pose" or "hide".

the NxP sort of came all as part of the same insight...your smile is very playful, which is very common in NPs, the part that through me off was the mischiviousness in the smile, in this particular picture, your smile seems more NTP than it does NFP, but I chose not to decide on the T/F scale because the smile was the only part that made me feel "T" about the picture.

There is a deepness in your eyes that I usually only see in NFs and a very few NTPs (your eyes look like you reside in the realm of imagination... beautiful)...

Anyway... thats a summary of how I got that instant impression of ENxP... I hope it helps...

·
Registered
297 Posts
oh... I should also add that it is easier when it is a picture that someone uses to represent themself... if you were to go through your photo album and pick a picture of 10 of your friends for me to "type" it would be a lot more diffiult because there is a bias on the picture, they are pictures that you find appealing, not the person themself, so they would tend to appear more Nfp-ish... (if that makes sense)...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts