Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or did I just ask a completely ironic question? ((<- that's going to bite me in the butt after posting)) Because what if someone has a great ability at using Ne or Se or Te Fe, but really enjoy their own company over that of others? lets say for a hypothetical- it's Ne. Does this automatically make the Dom function Fi or Ti?

Feel like I'm asking a contradictory question...but still

Thoughts?

Reactions: Jewl

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
3,186 Posts
Ofcourse. Being extroverted or introverted has nothing to do with your likes and dislikes. If I were an extrovert I wouldve disliked people just as much as I do now :)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Or did I just ask a completely ironic question? ((<- that's going to bite me in the butt after posting)) Because what if someone has a great ability at using Ne or Se or Te Fe, but really enjoy their own company over that of others? lets say for a hypothetical- it's Ne. Does this automatically make the Dom function Fi or Ti?

Feel like I'm asking a contradictory question...but still

Thoughts?
Leading with an Extroverted function is what makes people "Extroverted". To Jung, to lead with a function with an Extroverted attitude was simply being oriented towards outside of yourself. That doesn't mean liking people. It just means being focused outwards. Being Introverted meant being more subjective, whereas being an Extrovert meant being more objective.

Think about it like this:

If you're outside looking at the mountains, there is both the object being observed (the mountains) and the subject doing the observing. You can be totally focused on the mountains, or you can be internally focused on the ideas/subjective impressions/whatever looking at the mountains gives you.

That's the real difference between being Introverted and Extroverted.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think about it like this:

If you're outside looking at the mountains, there is both the object being observed (the mountains) and the subject doing the observing. You can be totally focused on the mountains, or you can be internally focused on the ideas/subjective impressions/whatever looking at the mountains gives you.

That's the real difference between being Introverted and Extroverted.

Oh, what. Haha. Thats a good example and I can see how it would work for all introverted functions but not so much for extroverted other than Se. How would you apply that example to say Fe? or Ne?

Reactions: Jewl

·
Registered
270 Posts
Absolutely possible. The only Exxx I couldn't see not liking company are Fe dom.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Oh, what. Haha. Thats a good example and I can see how it would work for all introverted functions but not so much for extroverted other than Se. How would you apply that example to say Fe? or Ne?
Right now you can understand it by looking at Pe and Je functions in general instead of asking how each individual function does this. The same principle holds for all of them.

The Perceiving functions are what help us take in information. The Judging functions help us sort out what is perceived.

For the Extroverted Perceiving functions (or as Jung called them, the Irrational functions), it would just be a focus outwards to any objects (whether that be ideas, events, actual physical things, etc) outside of the subject and taking in their info. So Ne and Se are both focused on taking in stuff outside of themselves. For Se, this is constrained to what is, for Ne this is constrained to what could be.

For the Extroverted Judging functions (or as Jung called them, the Rational functions), well. The judging functions are just the functions that determine how you sort out what info you perceive. So you can either focus on categorizing and defining what you've perceived objectively, devoid of subjective influence, using objective criteria (Te). Think of your typical scientific research. Jung used Darwin as an example of a Te-dom.

Or you can focus on evaluating that thing objectively. Is it good, beautiful, just, etc - devoid of my subjective influence (Fe).

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
To Jung, to lead with a function with an Extroverted attitude was simply being oriented towards outside of yourself. That doesn't mean liking people. It just means being focused outwards. Being Introverted meant being more subjective, whereas being an Extrovert meant being more objective.
Hmmm. Let's see...

Jung said:
[Extraverts and introverts] are so different and present such a striking contrast that their existence becomes quite obvious even to the layman once it has been pointed out. Everyone knows those reserved, inscrutable, rather shy people who form the strongest possible contrast to the open, sociable, jovial, or at least friendly and approachable characters who are on good terms with everybody, or quarrel with everybody, but always relate to them in some way and in turn are affected by them.

@WintersFlame

Carl Jung framed his eight types as four varieties of introvert and four varieties of extravert, and spent more of Psychological Types talking about the things he thought extraverts had in common and introverts had in common than he spent talking about all eight of the functions put together — and that's partly because he very much viewed extraversion and introversion as multifaceted. But if anybody tries to tell you that Jungian extraversion and introversion have little to do with sociability, you can be sure you're being addressed by somebody who's never read Psychological Types.

For a long discussion of what E/I's about — from Jung to Myers to Thomson, and including the relation to being sociable and/or reclusive — see this post.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@reckful, still doesn't necessarily mean "likes people". Effected by people or responsive to people, yes. What he is describing is general and how you may sometimes see the two attitudes expressed in terms of behavior, but wasn't meant to be a hard and fast rule.

Reactions: Fumetsu

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Possible for sure :) Can't say that I don't like people as I do but still need a lot of alone time too despite being E-type (ENFP).

It looks like people energize and make me most extroverted person while there are lot of interesting ideas to discuss around but will make me tired, bored and even most introvert person when the topics are only about everyday stuff in their hands :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
yes extroversion applies to needing stimulus from the external world with socializing being a part of it. And if you like being in charge you dont have to like the people to like the job

1 - 13 of 13 Posts