Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the kind of person that likes to take time (mostly in solitary walks) to think. Although I sometimes think about some abstract and philosophical or scientific stuff, I always make time to think about whether I'm "doing the right thing". Is that normal? I feel like asking myself that question on a regular basis is important in order to be satisfied. Although it's helpful for staying rational, I often feel a sense of constraint; - that I don't have enough free will even though I probably have a lot more than most people. I feel guilty that I may not be using my time in a productive manner.

My issue is that I feel like I haven't perfectly grasped an understanding of what's too much and what's too little. For instance: "Am I spending enough time on my studies?", "Do I need to chill more?", "Is my life going the way I want it to?", "Am I a bad person?", "Do I have serious problems?", "Am I doing enough?" that kinda thing.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
very normal for 20yr old.
I remember thinking I hate it when people say do your best because I don't know what that means.
You have to live some, to figure that out. It's nice to have a mentor, or several people in your life who have some qualities or accomplishments that you admire. It's good to figure out if you are a perfectionist. A site like this helps you to know how not to fall in a trap of thinking you need to be somebody not yourself.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
"Am I a bad person?", "Do I have serious problems?", "Am I doing enough?" that kinda thing.
I don't know you but I really have a feeling you are a bad person, have very serious problems, and are not doing enough. It's just a sixth sense I have. I also think you will win the lottery tomorrow, and you should die your hair purple blue with a hint of red and gold. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ask myself these questions constantly. The questions never stop. And I know that it is definitely not healthy. I still have not learned totally how to control the way I overthink, but I had a friend who went through something similar who told me this;
"You're thinking too much about the problem, when the fact is the problem is that you think too much. There's a way to turn it off you just have to trust yourself."
Once again I'm still a terrible perfectionist who makes everything harder than it has to be due to my paranoia that I'm totally messed up. But I'm learning to get out of my head and dive into things. To experience actual life and trust that whatever I am doing is right. I also learned I spend a lot of the time I could be using to do things, to analyze what I actually should be doing. Once again I still do this, but I actually realize that I do. And it's helped me to start acting more than just thinking.
INTJs definitely have very interesting and complex minds, so naturally it's hard to get out. I find myself drowning in my thoughts a lot, I don't know how else to explain it. It's addictive living in my head, but exterior life does have it's advantages too.
I probably made no sense right there, but if you get anything I said then good for you!
Haha good luck, and just know you are certainly NOT alone!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I relate to so much of what people said in here. In relation to the title of the thread, I have never been accused of "not worrying enough." (Now I'm starting to worry about that! :laughing:) My head can be a disturbing and somewhat paranoid place at times. I'm very likely to be told that I "don't know how to relax" or that I "worry too much."

Some peopledo seem to just worry more than other people. Sometimes my tendency to worry can get really counterproductive, so I can hope to learn how to worry a little less in those situations (I'll be going into therapy soon). I think I might have some tendencies toward OCD behavior in my family. Sometimes when we leave the house, my mom has to go back to check that some door was locked. I'm not sure that my worrying will ever really go away, but maybe I will be able to get it to a more manageable level.

OP, if the amount of worrying you do isn't impeding your life in some way, you shouldn't be giving yourself another thing to worry about.

Reactions: nO_d3N1AL
1 - 5 of 5 Posts