Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The spirit of the spirits
10,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, it a real question. I'm thinking of getting PS4 Slim or Nintendon't Switch as a gift for birthday and later to waste hours at Christmas. The thing is that I have multiple PCs and X360.

Another factor is that I'm not interested in Marios or most AAA titles,so mostly exclusives and non AAAs matter the most. I expect myself to try things like Wipeout Omega, Knack, Sonics, de Blob, Nier Automata, Steins Gate 0. Mostly non violent arcades.

Bad things about Playstation:
Almost EOL (PS5 will be launched not too far away)
Expensive
Game library is pretty much matured, what I see is almost all I will get

Bad things about Switch:
I don't need or want portable console
Expensive
Tiny library of games
I said, I hate Marios
Per game cost is way too high for what I would like to think of spending (For 1 Switch game I could get 2 PS4 games)

So what I want to ask here is, would it be worth to get PS4 slim or Switch, if expected game consumption would only be casual and perhaps rare? I just wanna hear opinions.

I know that I want Sega Dreamcast 2, but Sega doesn't make consoles anymore.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Was going to say Switch for the Nintendo IPs, but if you don’t want those there’s not much of a point.

Can’t comment on PS4, I’m out of the loop as far as what their library is. If your PC has beefy specs I’m not there’s much of a point to getting a console, except for exclusives. I’d wait until the fifth gen comes out and grab one for cheaper.

·
10,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can’t comment on PS4, I’m out of the loop as far as what their library is. If your PC has beefy specs I’m not there’s much of a point to getting a console, except for exclusives. I’d wait until the fifth gen comes out and grab one for cheaper.
My best PC isn't something beefy, something that is just enough for now. Short spec list:
AMD FX 6300 @4.1GHz
16GB RAM (overclocked and latencies reduced)
RX 560 4GB non D

It's as EOL as PS4 is.

And the thing is that I can ask and may get console for free, but I'm not sure what I really want to present. I wouldn't care normally, but when certain people ask me what they should get me and sometimes pick weird stuff that I end up not using, I just thought that console may be at least baseline of not horrible present. Anyway, I don't really know if I want one. So I sort of wanna see what others would do in such situations.

As for now, I guess Switch is totally not worth it as most games are either Mario canon or Mario spin offs. PS4 is more promising.

I didn't include Xbox one as I don't wanna be in MS system anymore and I see even less games than PS4 I would play with it. But chances of getting it would be higher as it costs like 40 percent less. Around 220 euros, meanwhile cheapest PS4 slim is 310 or a bit more.

I think that I take presents a bit too seriously at this point and it would be probably better idea to just get some chocolates instead or a nice book.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Some game recommendations: Super Mario Aces, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Mario Sports Superstars, Mini Mario & Friends, Super Mario Maker, Super Mario Party

·
10,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some game recommendations: Super Mario Aces, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Mario Sports Superstars, Mini Mario & Friends, Super Mario Maker, Super Mario Party
I just said some things about Mario games.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
If you don't like the games on either platform then the answer is obviously: No.

I personally never saw a point of Xbox one, especially as a PC gamer.

Nintendo I don't bother with. Like you I have no interest in Mario. I have the vaguest interest in Zelda but as the only game I would enjoy (other than a few minutes of Splatoon) I really see no point in buying Nintendo consoles. I've played a little of the games at friend's and borrowed one once.

PS4 I do see a point of getting. There's enough games on there to make it worth my money and they are quality games. Naughty Dog and Quantic Dream games, Spiderman, horizon zero dawn, until dawn... Personally for me these are all some of the greatest games to come out in recent years.

If you are that concerned that ps5 is around the corner then wait for it to come out and ps4 might be cheaper to buy or a miracle happens and they have backwards compatibility but I'm not holding my breath for that when they can just make money with remasters.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,124 Posts
you can play Nier Automata and SG;0 on PC too
dunno about the rest

overall it sounds like a "no" unless you really can spare the money and don't mind it

·
10,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you don't like the games on either platform then the answer is obviously: No.
It's not like I don't like games on either, but all I think I would like is quite limited and I'm more casual gamer at best. Even as PC gamer, I would admit that consoles just nail "I don't care, I just want to play a game" attitude much better. I don't use Steam on PC, because it's not like that at all and some Africans stole my Steam account for the 5th time, so I just pirate my stuff (Reasoning 101). Also Steam is full of shitty indie games and another junk. I just hope that Steam dies one day and like in old times you could walk to store and pick up your game, insert DVD (bluray nowadays) and play it, without any bullshit. If anything, GOG is superior to me.

The reason for console would be comfort and convenience, some exclusives. I don't care about PS5, I just care that PS4 will get nerfed once it comes out.

I went to online store and looked at what I may play:
Aragami
Asseto Corsa Ultimate Ed (without wheel, it's better with controller)
Blazblue Chrono Phantasma
Crash Bandicoot N. sane trilogy
Danganronpa series
de Blob series
Gintama Rumble (I secretly suspect it's POS game)
GT Sport
Gravity Rush series
Knack series
Lego City Undercover
Megaman series
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Nier Automata
Nioh
Okami HD
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2
Project Cars GOTY
Ratchet and Clank
Redout Lightspeed Edition
Sega Mega Drive Classics
Shenmue I and II
Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition (I already completed normal version tho and loved it)
Sonic Forces bonus edition
Sonic Mania + artbook
Steins Gate 0 Limited Edition
Tearaway Unfolded Messenger Edition
Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Trackmania Turbo
Trials Fusion: The Awesome Max Edition
WipeOut Omega collection
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza 6 After Hours Premium Edition

·
Banned
1,134 Posts
um, i don't think it's worth getting a console right now unless this console generation as it relates to sony and microsoft will stay relevant after the next generation has been launched, nintendo has very correctly carved their own lane and aren't directly in competition with the 2 behemoths.

if future-proofing a content avenue isn't your concern and you're just looking to get some good gaming done then i would go with sony, ignoring perspectives on the other generational console wars this particular generation (blu-ray 2.0 gen) sony has utterly destroyed microsoft with their management of original IP's (granted the biggest successes of the past year weren't expected to be successes by sony so who knows how that science works)

the switch needs to be looked at in isolation, cause i believe it's a brilliant little concept nintendo have got going there and i imagine it's worthwhile to invest in the product as an end-user as it looks like it has a high ceiling as far as what can be done on it with gaming.
but that would be a project investment, the ps4 would simply be a known product that rightfully has positive reviews despite the mixed ideas of what vidya games should be doing in 2018.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
honestly, it looks like you have a good amount of games to choose from for the ps4 but, really, however many hundred dollars to play plants and zombies?? none of those games look interesting to me but i am a nintendo loyalist and I like the mario games. why don't you like mario? would another sonic type game fill the void in your soul? that being said, i wouldn't get the switch. it got bad reviews and i think it should be boycotted personally to teach nintendo a lesson about putting out hugely overpriced systems. all of them really. the games lately all stink in my opinion. i'd spend your five hundred bucks or whatever on something more worthy. think of how many books you could get. or imagine the dvd collection 500 dollars would give you. i don't know. there's gotta be a better way to spend that money. you could save it up for travel or something.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
It's not like I don't like games on either, but all I think I would like is quite limited and I'm more casual gamer at best. Even as PC gamer, I would admit that consoles just nail "I don't care, I just want to play a game" attitude much better. I don't use Steam on PC, because it's not like that at all and some Africans stole my Steam account for the 5th time, so I just pirate my stuff (Reasoning 101). Also Steam is full of shitty indie games and another junk. I just hope that Steam dies one day and like in old times you could walk to store and pick up your game, insert DVD (bluray nowadays) and play it, without any bullshit. If anything, GOG is superior to me.

The reason for console would be comfort and convenience, some exclusives. I don't care about PS5, I just care that PS4 will get nerfed once it comes out.

I went to online store and looked at what I may play:
Aragami
Asseto Corsa Ultimate Ed (without wheel, it's better with controller)
Blazblue Chrono Phantasma
Crash Bandicoot N. sane trilogy
Danganronpa series
de Blob series
Gintama Rumble (I secretly suspect it's POS game)
GT Sport
Gravity Rush series
Knack series
Lego City Undercover
Megaman series
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Nier Automata
Nioh
Okami HD
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2
Project Cars GOTY
Ratchet and Clank
Redout Lightspeed Edition
Sega Mega Drive Classics
Shenmue I and II
Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition (I already completed normal version tho and loved it)
Sonic Forces bonus edition
Sonic Mania + artbook
Steins Gate 0 Limited Edition
Tearaway Unfolded Messenger Edition
Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Trackmania Turbo
Trials Fusion: The Awesome Max Edition
WipeOut Omega collection
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza 6 After Hours Premium Edition
I personally think that the games that are already available exclusively to Playstation 4 are worth it but that's up to you to decide. I would be content if these are the only games (plus Last of Us 2 and the other games I mentioned) that I can get.

·
10,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I personally think that the games that are already available exclusively to Playstation 4 are worth it but that's up to you to decide. I would be content if these are the only games (plus Last of Us 2 and the other games I mentioned) that I can get.
Sorry late update to that list:

Looks like a good game, perhaps the edutainment.

·
Banned
17,616 Posts
The PC is a tool. Games are a diversion. A PC is the logical and versatile purchase.

·
10,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The PC is a tool. Games are a diversion. A PC is the logical and versatile purchase.
If anything, I wouldn't want yet another PC. I already have 3 PCs ready to do anything and 1 Frankenstein. There are also lots of parts laying around.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
mario

·
10,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Look, I played Mario Kart (SNES) yesterday and it's okay game. But it's not what it used to be. Now Nintendo pushes their Mario like communism. Literally 50 or 40 percent of Switch library is some random Mario crap. They can just go to hell with it.

Also Mario looks like old Italian plumber and his only super power is losing his lady after hangover. Sonic is better.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts