Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am sure a lot of the infj forum population has at least seen this posted once or twice:

What I want to know is that is it very un-infj like to want to be "labeled" as an infj?
In the video above he kept saying how if it kinda hurts a bit to not be called an infj, you probably aren't one.

Because I know for a fact that if I am actually pretty far from being an infj, it would hurt a bit
because of how complicated we seem to be. If it turned out I'm just a lost esfp for example, why am I like this then?
Unless that's just me :/

Would that be a sign of Fi?

And while I'm on the topic here, is it possible for an INFJ to still have some Fi? I feel that even though I may go to some crazy lengths to please people, a lot of the time I question if something is morally wrong to me or if I should keep my guard on longer.

Ugh my brain is dying right now. I may try to give a better explanation later.

Reactions: dvnj22

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
Yes if I found out I wasn't infj I would feel bad. Not because of the label, I went into mbti with no prior thoughts and i didnt pick infj because it looked nice. I would feel bad because I'm just a weirdo and I have no reason for it. Although I do suspect I am infp. I know I am an infj or an infp but I pick infj because I am more of a judger. I prefer organization etc

·
Registered
277 Posts
Because I know for a fact that if I am actually pretty far from being an infj, it would hurt a bit
because of how complicated we seem to be. If it turned out I'm just a lost esfp for example, why am I like this then?
Unless that's just me :/
Well I’m not a big ‘fan’ of the whole labelling thing and if I turned out to be something other than INFJ (which I doubt given that it’s the closest description to how I truly feel/am on the inside – but hypothetically) it would definitely not hurt my feelings.

Maybe this is due to the fact that I’d rather think of the whole typology-thing as a nice ‘tool’ for self-discovery & ultimately self-improvement, a means to an end & not the end itself. But I do think it’s dangerous as well in the sense that certain people want to fit inside the box so desperately that they actually try and change themselves in order to. In which case the typing yourself has completely defeated its purpose.

Now I’ve ‘met’/’read’ a lot of people who are typed as INFJ’s but don’t act the way I do, don’t think or feel the way I do so they ‘may’ have mistyped themselves (with some it’s pretty obvious with others it’s not). I ‘could’ in theory point that out to those people but that’s not what I’m after so I guess it bothers me less than it does EJArendee in his “rant” (also notice how this is a “rant” and the guy is obviously very annoyed with the situation although I find his argument to be somewhat valid, he maybe should have tried to be more ‘objective’ about the matter although it doesn’t bother me personally because I just read through that jazz).

Anyway I guess what I’m trying to say here is; you mentioned it would kind of hurt you; why?
Second & I quote: “If it turned out I'm just a lost esfp for example, why am I like this then?”

Why the ‘just’ in that sentence? Are they in any way inferior to INFJ’s just because they are different?

Don't know if you've seen this one but it sounds like this is what you're asking yourself:

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
I remember being upset when somebody first suggested I was INFJ. It took some difficult adjustment time to come to terms with it.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The way I feel is that it is possible for cognitive processes to develop or mature the more you practice them (or randomly through the passage of time), which is what this whole thing is based off. In three years I have taken the MBTI test and have gotten different results each time (I was also in a different mood each time, but let's set that aside). Last time I think I got ENFJ and the time before ISFJ.

I also feel like it's possible because of my belief that everything is always changing and evolving (whether visible or not), and it's hard to label something that can easily change based off preference, behavior, and core cognitive processes.

Dunno what I am now but a couple years ago I was definitely an INFJ and have stuck around since because of the people on here that behave in a somewhat similar manner to me. Frankly, everyone is different though so I feel getting mad about categorization isn't necessary...

... Unless I want to find somebody with similar thoughts in an INFJ thread and people are talking about law, physics, or are trolling each other ._.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I am me. Labels do not define me. I have many facets to my personality, and how I appaer to others depends on their viewpoint and maturity/lack of maturity. Not my problem.

That said, the behavior traits of INFJ are comfortable. But I have been many things,and adapted. I am me.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Honestly - I couldn't care less.

If the theory of cognitive functions is right (which we have no proof of whatsoever), it is only what others already said: A tool to some deeper understanding of how we tick. Nothing more, nothing less. The problem is that many people don't even understand the theory behind it in the first place and just go by some one-page explanation that some Google-test spat out.

Cognitive functions just say how you perceive and judge information. That's all it is really. They don't turn you into this certain person.

And as to the INFJs who think they're oh-so special: Everyone is, or no one is, regardless of type. Your MBTI result doesn't make you anything other than you already are. And if that's where you stop, you've already lost.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
My sense of identity does not need a label to give "reason" to it,
Or make excuses for it's short comings.

Plenty people don't think I am INFJ on here,
And frankly I fought being labeled as one(Given the nature of some people who claim to be INFJ),
But I've come to study the whole ideology behind what makes an INFJ,
And I've studied the functions,
All of which seem to suit me,
And it suits what other people view me as IRL(Which to me counts more than what people online have to say).

Choose what is "you" not what you "want"

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
As someone that has been known as many labels or 'definitive titles' (some self imposed as we all do; smart, lover not a fighter, sensitive person etc or those ascribed to us such as [insert job title or skill set such as listener] ) I would be more 'fretful' if average or 'just [insert name]' became actual insults assigned to everyone, knowing that only we should be capable of self understanding seeking or personal qualities.
At best INFJ, EII, friend, E6 or any other personal qualities combined are just that until given a context or basis of identification*.

*Something that has stayed with me since being an animal trainer briefly is how finite language really is, being told that to an animal words or emotional expressions lose meaning if said too often, needing greater emphasis or escalation overtime if not moderated to suit situations; a name>becomes a label>becoming an insult>loses meaning> new expression found>risk of self bewilderment or colluding in untrue versions of self, resulting in garbled thinking or people forgetting entirely what is sought versus the person they truly are (often repeating the cycle of self identity or external identity until 'something fits' in my experience).

In short no, 'INFJ identity' could just as easily be called 'type teddybear', since such a descriptor is only capable of defining or being innately relevant as long as we feel it suits even a small part of whom we truly are (honestly I find little comfort in pigeon-holing or attributing a self to just one camp when each of us is so much more than words or titles).

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
And while I'm on the topic here, is it possible for an INFJ to still have some Fi? I feel that even though I may go to some crazy lengths to please people, a lot of the time I question if something is morally wrong to me or if I should keep my guard on longer.

That depends what you mean by INFJ. The MBTI test is here to indicate things about your type in the sense of dominant type at least tangentially. The prediction is that an INFJ in the test (clear INFJ) will correspond to an introverted intuitive type with auxiliary feeling, and the prediction is that the feeling auxiliary will be Fe, not Fi.

However, it has been well-established as far as I know that these are not facts, only theories. It is possible to be an I, not E, and N, not S, etc by all the dichotomies and not relate most to introverted intuition, and relate most instead to introverted feeling.

The J vs P indicator is supposed to indirectly note the direction of your preferred extraverted function, in the rational or irrational direction. However, this "note" is not exact.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I think he's got a point when he talks about being butthurt when the possibility of one not being INFJ (or whatever, actually!) is brought up. I even think that a person whose functions align as supposed to for an INFJ type, they are very likely to doubt their type every once in a while. Why? Because people are prone to making judgments based on insufficient data, and humans are too limited to receive all of universal truths anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, I just want to use this tool called MBTI to grow, and what does one need for proper growth? Knowing yourself, understanding the nature of your habitual behavior, your choice of lifestyle and what you are passionate about, your worldview, your modus operandi in short.

It is possible to mistake a given function for sth else though... I sometimes wonder if some people mistake Ni for Ne (as I did, and never got anywhere with this "knowledge") or even for Fi... For example, I am still thinking about what Yikes describes in her video post, I identify with it a lot (the feeling of being isolated and nobody "getting" who you truly are) but I also think it might be Fi, not Ni she's describing.

http://personalitycafe.com/infj-forum-protectors/10081-personal-infj-videos-106.html#post4075632

·
Registered
517 Posts
i always considered myself a cross between an INTJ and an INFP. :tongue:

·
Registered
433 Posts
@miyachanfan Sounds more enneagram related to me? Have either or both of you got a 4 influence?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright thanks for the replies guys :)
yes I realize it's simply a way to kinda learn more about yourself and find better things to help you grow, but it also just helps to know we're not alone.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I thought that rant was hilarious. But the thing is, we get that kind of "you're not a real XXXX" in every type group. It does make you doubt for a little while at first, especially when your type has the added bonus of being "super rare." But come on, all the IN types are pretty rare. You're not any less special if you're an INFP instead.

So what it comes down to is this: are you more J than P? Ok, you're an INFJ.

Myself, I would be frustrated if I turned out not to be the type I thought I was because that would mean my understanding of the system and theory was wrong, and what else am I wrong about? I'd have to go and rebuild all the damaged parts and re-evaluate my evaluations. What a pain, but I'd rather be correct.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts