Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MBTI stats show that women are more likely to be judgers than men are, but the difference is small, arguably statistically insignificant when you consider the nature of MBTI.

I think J's seem more gendered than P's do, regardless of sex. ESFJ and ISFJ women tend to be very feminine while ESTJ and ISTJ men tend to be very masculine.

However, a large characteristic of J is a tendency to keep orderly spaces, and anyone who has both brothers and sisters understands that men tend to be "messier" than women. I do think women feel slightly more need to have order in their physical environment, whether that's due to genetics/evolutionary psychology or the way we raise girls I have no idea.

Do you think types with J letters tend to be more feminine than types with P letters? Like is an ESTJ more feminine than an ESTP?

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
First of all the stats are bullshit, second of all to answer the title, no I don't think that judging is feminine.

I agree that Fe males particularly ISFJs are considered more feminine in general but in particular all feelers are considered more feminine and all thinkers are considered more masculine. The ESFJ is like the most mothering type and that's because of stigma we expect mothers to uphold and not because mothers are all ESFJs.

Also, I'm unconvinced that men and women are really wired differently when it comes to personality. I think our personalities are easily influenced and molded when we are young and then that personality begins to set in. If there's any correlation between the way women act compared to men I believe that's upbringing. My mother raised me in a gender neutral way when I was a toddler until I had enough of a voice to say I wanted to be just like every other kid my age but later in life when social stigma stopped mattering to me I think it really changed how I viewed the world and myself.

Perhaps your view of your siblings is because the way your parents raised you.

I personally don't see a correlation. I know just as many male neat freaks as I do female neat freaks my age. I just don't think the males are noticed as much. If you visit a male's house or room and it's tidy you don't think anything of it. If you visit there and it's a mess then you acknowledge it and feed your bias: "Ah, a male who can't keep his room tidy, typical" and if that bias is said outloud enough to the person it'll impact them subconsciously. The male would except it's simply expected of him and leave it be. A female would feel more pressure to change because she's acting against what's expected.

As the genders get older expectations grow, women are expected to be more organised. My mother is an ESFP who developed ESFJ like traits because she was the woman of the house, it was subconsciously expected of her to get shit clean and organised because if she didn't do it, no one would... And I was raised in a feminist household but there was still stigma that my mother couldn't avoid. It's not that my father is sexist and expected this of her but it's just the case that he was never forced to get his act together like my mother was. My father never intentionally forced this role onto her yet he did by being passive. Even when we agree that women shouldn't be housewives we still don't put any pressure on the guys to step up so the role of the organiser of the family still needs to be filled.

Personally, I'm a mess. I was kind of proud of it as a teenager because it was expected of me. I didn't do much to tackle this attitude so long as it stayed in the realm of sanitary enough. I'm sure if there was more pressure on either me or my father to change then it would have.

Reactions: morgandollar

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
If you meant that SJ is more "gendered" you should have said so.... instead of attributing it to judging specifically...
And if that is the case we can blame Keirsey, probably.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Judger=neat and perceiver=messy are stereotypes. I don't even think about my physical space until I need to tidy it up, by which point it has gotten pretty messy. I probably would be a neat freak if I actually used sensing as my predominant mode of perceiving, but I don't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts