Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm horrible at typing people, but I think maybe my crush is ISTP. Can anyone help? (Don't laugh at how bad I am at determining someone's MBTI please lol and I'm so sorry it's so long!)

I know he's Introverted for sure since he only pretty much easily talks to extroverts because they keep the conversation going, and enjoys their company i.e. laughs a lot, asks a lot of questions, and is lighthearted. He doesn't mind that one of the said extroverts talks about himself a lot. But otherwise he keeps to himself, or texts his friends. But he's very awkward and shy when he's around a lot of people.

He is a literal genius in our upper level college science class. Like he finishes an hour long exams in 10 minutes or sooner, and he understands things instantly in class. In the rare occasion he isn't sure about something he has no problem asking. He even likes to see what knowledge other major students can share. He doesn't act like (or perhaps even thinks) he's smarter than anyone else in class either, like he can easily explain a concept to someone who doesn't understand in a way you would expect a teacher or tutor would and his extrovert friend pushes him to go up to write on the board despite the fact that he knows all the answers and there is a minuscule chance he would be wrong. Which makes me think maybe he's an S and T...

He's such a nice person, like always making sure to say hi and bye to the professor, holding doors for the class, he's extremely, extremely polite like always saying excuse me if he's in your way, doesn't get offended when people criticize him since he just laughs along with them, but he never remotely acts in a way that could be considered mean to anyone. He seems very open minded, considerate, and understanding which makes me think he's a P instead of J.

As for things he's done that perhaps says he likes me:

One time I caught him secretly smiling at me as I struggled to open the lab combo lock (which I previously had trouble with as well), which confused me but I asked him to help but he didn't know how to do it either, so I got his friend to help me instead, but he quickly tried to divert my attention away from his friend who was helping me by asking me what lab I was doing, I say divert because he look sad when his friend showed up and he already knew which lab I was doing since he was sitting right next to me. I've noticed him staring at me when he thinks I'm not paying attention, and he even tries to read my texts lol I even caught him once and he just continued to try to read shamelessly for another 10 seconds because he was so focused lmao. He doesn't talk to me much,and when the extrovert of our table is absent his body language suddenly seems extremely unsure of himself, but he has cracked a joke when talking to me (not at my expense) when he was helping me and I managed to laugh but, usually I shut off around him and end up being curt. The girl who sits on the other side of me was super excited about her birthday for the last month, so I gave her a birthday card in an envelope after class, but I think MAYBE he thought I was going to give it to him, because even though he leaves instantly when class ends this time he lingered next to me for a minute looking at the card until she got back to the table and I gave the card to her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
inconclusive. would love to claim him as one of ours because he sounds adorable but he actually could be some other type
Thanks for your input! :) The most hilarious thing about this situation is when I first saw him, I thought he was so cute, and to avoid catching feelings that are usually a dead end for one reason or another, I used a huge amount of will power to try to normalize his presence first month and a half of the semester by trying to ignore him unless he talked to me and not to fret over every little thing I did or said, which worked and I managed not to think about him at all. But when he seemed to give off that jealous vibe, all of my hard work went out the window. LOL and that is how the late Saturday night attempt at finding his mbti came about. Being INFP when it comes to romance is an emotional roller coaster ride that you didn't sign up for lol :confused: And all the while you have a chill expression, so no one else but you knows whats actually going on.

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Thanks for your input! :) The most hilarious thing about this situation is when I first saw him, I thought he was so cute, and to avoid catching feelings that are usually a dead end for one reason or another, I used a huge amount of will power to try to normalize his presence first month and a half of the semester by trying to ignore him unless he talked to me and not to fret over every little thing I did or said, which worked and I managed not to think about him at all. But when he seemed to give off that jealous vibe, all of my hard work went out the window. LOL and that is how the late Saturday night attempt at finding his mbti came about. Being INFP when it comes to romance is an emotional roller coaster ride that you didn't sign up for lol :confused: And all the while you have a chill expression, so no one else but you knows whats actually going on.
I don't understand why it is currently a trend to avoid "catching feelings." Emotions are as normal as breathing, they are part of the human condition. being attracted to other people is perfectly healthy and normal, and because I am an I STP I like just getting in people's faces and figuring out whether or not they like me back. if they don't then I can move on, no point in building Sandcastles in my mind about someone that is like a total waste of time.
I mean I'm not trying to be rude by expressing this or anything I say go for it if you think this guy is hot see if he wants you and if he doesn't then you can move on. The world is full of adorable men and one of them is bound to think you're the greatest thing since sliced bread if this dude doesnt (he probably does tho).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't understand why it is currently a trend to avoid "catching feelings." Emotions are as normal as breathing, they are part of the human condition. being attracted to other people is perfectly healthy and normal, and because I am an I STP I like just getting in people's faces and figuring out whether or not they like me back. if they don't then I can move on, no point in building Sandcastles in my mind about someone that is like a total waste of time.
I mean I'm not trying to be rude by expressing this or anything I say go for it if you think this guy is hot see if he wants you and if he doesn't then you can move on. The world is full of adorable men and one of them is bound to think you're the greatest thing since sliced bread if this dude doesnt (he probably does tho).
I completely agree with you for sure! That's more than awesome that you can just get up close and go forward or move on. I'm envious! It's not following a trend in my case, it's just that I have have the WORST communication with guys I like. I painfully self conscious and lack self confidence, which is why I usually shut off *completely* around guys I like, so if they do actually happen to like me, they don't approach me much thinking I don't like them, and it almost always ends there. It's a viscous emotional and disappointing cycle I put myself in, and on top of that is that there is no closure, which bothers me so much. I wish I had the courage to just ask if they're interested too, because even if my feelings get deeply hurt, at least I would have that closure.

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
I completely agree with you for sure! That's more than awesome that you can just get up close and go forward or move on. I'm envious! It's not following a trend in my case, it's just that I have have the WORST communication with guys I like. I painfully self conscious and lack self confidence, which is why I usually shut off *completely* around guys I like, so if they do actually happen to like me, they don't approach me much thinking I don't like them, and it almost always ends there. It's a viscous emotional and disappointing cycle I put myself in, and on top of that is that there is no closure, which bothers me so much. I wish I had the courage to just ask if they're interested too, because even if my feelings get deeply hurt, at least I would have that closure.
it definitely takes practice. I was a fairly assertive kid, and if I got crushes on boys I would just pretty much in March up to them and tell them LOL. I have had my fair share of rejection, but nothing ventured nothing gained. I think because I can be assertive I've had more success than people who sit around hoping shit will happen.

also… I've noticed women in general wait for men to initiate or wait for men to set the pace of a relationship. I have certainly done that on occasion. I tend to bounce between assertive and nonassertive behavior throughout my life. But one thing I like about being assertive is that I get to choose which guys I want to be connected to, and all they have to do is reciprocate. and if they don't that's certainly their right, I can't be the perfect woman for every guy of course. But it does give me more of a shot of getting the guy that I actually want instead of having to settle for someone who chose me if that makes sense. But it takes practice!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The awkward, adorkable thing reminds me of my INTP friend. I think ISTPs tend to have a more assertive vibe (rather than awkwardness), and often appear extroverted and loud (I assume there's a correlation). I exert significant effort in eliminating displays of weakness like shyness/awkwardness which I guess is quite immature.

To mildly hijack your thread, are other ISTPs here more visibly introverted/extroverted? As in would someone more likely identify you as an I or an E?

Also the politeness with the doors and the greetings are extra steps of effort that I can't be bothered with. I thought ISTPs in general are the type to be indifferent towards such social expectations.

My money's on INTP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The awkward, adorkable thing reminds me of my INTP friend. I think ISTPs tend to have a more assertive vibe (rather than awkwardness), and often appear extroverted and loud (I assume there's a correlation). I exert significant effort in eliminating displays of weakness like shyness/awkwardness which I guess is quite immature.

To mildly hijack your thread, are other ISTPs here more visibly introverted/extroverted? As in would someone more likely identify you as an I or an E?

Also the politeness with the doors and the greetings are extra steps of effort that I can't be bothered with. I thought ISTPs in general are the type to be indifferent towards such social expectations.

My money's on INTP
Thanks for your input. I don't see him as being ISTP either now that I've had some input from you guys. But there is a degree that he doesn't care about social expectations either, he's actually not fashionable at all. Like he's the bare basics type of guy. Straight (not skinny leg) jeans that are a bit too short for him (as if he's worn the same jeans for years), a shirt, a jacket, and basic (no brand name) running shoes. He dresses like he's in middle school pretty much before boys discover being more aware of dressing cool.

I made an update on him in my next comment, as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A little update if anyone cares: He was speaking to his friend who mentioned how his mom must be proud of his amazing grades, and he said his mother passed away... He teaches Karate too, all the while being a full time student taking upper level science college courses. I think the fact that his mother passed away explains certain aspects of his personality that I mentioned before.

I felt so moved by his level of work ethic, strength, and kindness put together despite is tragic past, all the while, feeling ashamed about who I am, whose a maladaptive daydreamer who struggles in most of my science and math courses, takes my wonderful mom for granted, and can't juggle school and work at the same time, so I don't work. Because of both of those facts, I hardly managed to keep myself together until I got in my car, and cried long, hard, and loud for 20 or 30 minutes, which is extremely rare for me, as an INFP that usually only tears up once in a while. I used to think that as long as I was trying and I was a kind person, that made me a decent person, but that's really not enough. He's inspired me to want to change myself, so I can be someone I'm not ashamed of.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm sounds more like an INTP since being good at science and conceptual stuff is a big INTP thing
Thanks for your input! I looked up some info on INTP's last night and I can see him being one, much more than an ISTP at least.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have met no INFP and ISTP couples or even friends, but I have known many INTP and INFP couples and friends. My money is on INTP.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have met no INFP and ISTP couples or even friends, but I have known many INTP and INFP couples and friends. My money is on INTP.
Thank you!!! It's nice to have a pretty much consensus on this. By the way I love your avatar! <3 I used to have a cockatiel! If you're not already in it, you should join the very large group called " birb (O v O") " on facebook!

·
Registered
ISTP 9w8
702 Posts
All I can get from your description is that he's an introvert. haha
(or a repressed extravert :/)

Regarding his clothing style, that could mean he doesn't care what people think but it could also mean he can't afford new or nice clothes, sadly. If his mother passed away he might even be struggling to make ends meet, hence the teaching karate thing and maybe keeping up his grades so he can qualify for scholarships.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All I can get from your description is that he's an introvert. haha
(or a repressed extravert :/)

Regarding his clothing style, that could mean he doesn't care what people think but it could also mean he can't afford new or nice clothes, sadly. If his mother passed away he might even be struggling to make ends meet, hence the teaching karate thing and maybe keeping up his grades so he can qualify for scholarships.
</3 Oh no! There's a good chance you're correct, even though our community college is in the upper class suburbs far from the city, and learning karate to become a pro in the first place requires a lot of money. I saw him waiting for someone to pick him up one day after class, which could mean he doesn't have a car, which is why he doesn't make the 40 minute commute to the nearest university, because I'm sure he would have had a full ride or close to it if he wanted to go straight to university.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts