Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm trying to figure out whether my dad is an ISTP or ISFP...
and here's how i came to the IS_P conclusion. feel free to correct me if im wrong.
I- he definitely needs time on his own to relax. he'll spend time around people, but he's way more reserved than he is gregarious, and my ESFJ mom(she took the test for work, and is a very strong esfj) annoys the hell out of him when she tells him that he needs to maintain relationships, etc. my mom nags the guy a lot. she's ALWAYS criticizing him for...(continued after P-)
P-being too messy, too laid back, not doing enough work, doing things last minute, lack of planning, "not living in this world enough"..those are the ones i hear every two days. goodness, is it ever annoying...
S- he's definitely an S. despite what my mom says about him "not living in this world" he is pretty detail-oriented, conservative, is a genius at fixing things, and finds philosophy and astrology to be "absolute nonsense."
T or F- he's a very devout catholic..to the point of trying to force his religion on me..im an agnostic. oh, and he holds a LOT of grudges. initially i assumed T but he's extremely moody and sometimes acts irrational..like sometimes when him and mom are fighting he goes "ill divorce you..im filing for a divorce." er..that's emotional manipulation, right? =S
oh, and yesterday my mom, him, i, and a family friend went to starbucks and i commented that i really liked the artistic vibe there and a lot of artists in my community hang out in starbucks. to which he replied, "they all look like loafers to me, and i dont see the point in this art..in my office they have paintings and it all looks like a bunch of lines. it has no meaning." mom and i got a bit ticked off..she showed it though, i just said 'well im sure it has significance to the artist who created it."
can't think of anything else atm/

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don't think he's either. He does sound like an I and S.
But your T and F description describes someone who may use Te or Fe more than the ISFP/ISTP person does. As they are our inferior functions, we don't often go around forcing our views on people. I would guess that he's more an ISXJ.
His lack of maintaining relationships and putting forth his view point on things and not people looks more like ISTJ than ISFJ.
But I don't know. Maybe he is an ISTP/ISFP gone wrong.
If you try asking in the 'what's my personality type?' forum, you might get more people interested in answering.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think he's either. He does sound like an I and S.
But your T and F description describes someone who may use Te or Fe more than the ISFP/ISTP person does. As they are our inferior functions, we don't often go around forcing our views on people. I would guess that he's more an ISXJ.
His lack of maintaining relationships and putting forth his view point on things and not people looks more like ISTJ than ISFJ.
But I don't know. Maybe he is an ISTP/ISFP gone wrong.
If you try asking in the 'what's my personality type?' forum, you might get more people interested in answering.
thanks, ill repost this thread there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Firstly, J or P isn't really defined it's more about whether you are organised - more stimulated by adaptive cognitive functions (Ne, Se, Ti, Fi) or directive cognitive functions (Te, Fe, Ni, Si).

He sounds more worldview (Si or Ni) dominant than compass (Ti or Fi) dominant from what you've said. Does he push his opinions and views of his onto you and others quite often?

Si dom is most likely (based on conservative views) and probably an ISFJ from what you've said - particularly re emotional manipulation and moodiness - that sounds more like auxiliary Fe than auxiliary Te at work.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Firstly, J or P isn't really defined it's more about whether you are organised - more stimulated by adaptive cognitive functions (Ne, Se, Ti, Fi) or directive cognitive functions (Te, Fe, Ni, Si).

He sounds more worldview (Si or Ni) dominant than compass (Ti or Fi) dominant from what you've said. Does he push his opinions and views of his onto you and others quite often?

Si dom is most likely (based on conservative views) and probably an ISFJ from what you've said - particularly re emotional manipulation and moodiness - that sounds more like auxiliary Fe than auxiliary Te at work.
well he doesn't bring up stuff out of the blue like "you should do this bc it's a moral thing to do" or "she should do this" or "i find that __ should.." like my mom does. she's always talking abt how to be moral, etc. i dont really have any morals per se..i just decide upon things given the context of the situation..and i have to reason out my "morals" or more like beliefs before i just take it word-for-word, whereas she just takes it and starts explaining what a moral person should do. my dad usu doesnt bring up moral-related stuff, but he is very religious..so i spose that causes him to tell me what to believe because it's the right way, according to him.
well sometimes when he gets into a religious debate with his friends, he'll stick by his opinion no matter what..and try to convince them he's right and he provides justifications for it.
usu he doesn't push things on others unless they ask for it first or unless something reminds him of it(ie if he sees something in the news, etc).
ic. ISFJ might be it..he's also great at fixing things though, and he doesnt like art. isfjs like art..right? i dunno -_-

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I don't know...surface behaviors aren't always enough to make a typological assessment.

I.e. Art, I love Art. I was practically raised in a museum. However, my ISTP dad couldn't give two licks about art.

Those type of preferences don't get to the core of typological motivations.

I think the best thing for you to do is have him take the test.

Reactions: MilkyWay132

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know...surface behaviors aren't always enough to make a typological assessment.

I.e. Art, I love Art. I was practically raised in a museum. However, my ISTP dad couldn't give two licks about art.

Those type of preferences don't get to the core of typological motivations.

I think the best thing for you to do is have him take the test.
you're right. he doesn't care about this stuff though, & says he could "care less about what his personality was" when my mom told him about the assessment. he says he's got better things to worry about.
i understand what ur saying. im an INTJ and love art..but im a 5w4, so i spose that's why. i like technology, science, and art the most. math falls under science here too.
the reason im trying to determine his type is mostly for curiosity, plus it can come useful next time my parents have a throwing things and shouting match. in that case, im hoping me and my bro can make them stop by using mbti to help them reconcile their differences. it's a faint hope, but it MAY just work. and also to understand how to get over conflict and convey messages more effectively and stuff.
my bro cries whenever my parents fight(he's 13)...and the house isn't fun. i just dont do anything..i give my brother ice cream and stuff or send him over to his friends' places bc that's the only way i know how to help..other than telling my brother to stop crying and getting annoyed, which he doesnt take well. yeah..im such an insensitive jerk but w/e.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Well, what I did for my dad was I gave him the test orally...I read him the questions, wrote down the answers, read him his profile, all while he was watching TV (in between commercials, of course!). Take away the excuse of the effort. This works really well. Before you give the test, give the spiel: "Answer the questions as you see yourself, not how you would like to be." And while you're reading it to him, ask questions like, Do you agree or disagree? Does this apply to you? If so, to what degree? When I do this for people, they'll say, most of it applies, but I don't do this. My staple response, that's normal. It's not going to fit perfectly.

But, with this method, just don't try to influence him on the answers from your own observations or opinions...it's very important to remain neutral, in order to not taint the results. It's hard, because people like you and me who are interested in MBTI and typology are observing and typing everyone around us, and we form our own conclusions. (Oh, and maybe do it when your mom is not in the room, because she may try to influence the answers with her own opinions as well.)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, what I did for my dad was I gave him the test orally...I read him the questions, wrote down the answers, read him his profile, all while he was watching TV (in between commercials, of course!). Take away the excuse of the effort. This works really well. Before you give the test, give the spiel: "Answer the questions as you see yourself, not how you would like to be." And while you're reading it to him, ask questions like, Do you agree or disagree? Does this apply to you? If so, to what degree? When I do this for people, they'll say, most of it applies, but I don't do this. My staple response, that's normal. It's not going to fit perfectly.

But, with this method, just don't try to influence him on the answers from your own observations or opinions...it's very important to remain neutral, in order to not taint the results. It's hard, because people like you and me who are interested in MBTI and typology are observing and typing everyone around us, and we form our own conclusions. (Oh, and maybe do it when your mom is not in the room, because she may try to influence the answers with her own opinions as well.)
LOL i know what you mean about possibly influencing the results. like when i took the test 3 times and kept testing as INTJ, and even the cognitive functions test said i was intj, my mom said "no, you do this, this and this and you do have good morals, etc..to which i silently thought "mom, you'd be surprised i dont think in terms of morals..". she also said i was too stubborn, and some other things -_-. stubborn, yes, but only if im absolutely convinced, which isn't often. if i think sum1 else is right, ill change my opinion. her evaluation of me was an ESTP..certainly not. she said i was a shy extrovert and i must be a perceiver because i wasn't as organized as i should be..but im not shy, i just tired with people around 24/7 and talking too much! plus id rather be alone than constantly surrounded by people. well she thinks there's something wrong with introverts and everyone is naturally an extrovert, etc, and that my extroverted brother is "normal" and i am not.
thanks, the TV method sounds great. ill bother him during commercials:tongue:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
LOL i know what you mean about possibly influencing the results. like when i took the test 3 times and kept testing as INTJ, and even the cognitive functions test said i was intj, my mom said "no, you do this, this and this and you do have good morals, etc..to which i silently thought "mom, you'd be surprised i dont think in terms of morals..". she also said i was too stubborn, and some other things -_-. stubborn, yes, but only if im absolutely convinced, which isn't often. if i think sum1 else is right, ill change my opinion. her evaluation of me was an ESTP..certainly not. she said i was a shy extrovert and i must be a perceiver because i wasn't as organized as i should be..but im not shy, i just tired with people around 24/7 and talking too much! plus id rather be alone than constantly surrounded by people. well she thinks there's something wrong with introverts and everyone is naturally an extrovert, etc, and that my extroverted brother is "normal" and i am not.
thanks, the TV method sounds great. ill bother him during commercials:tongue:
:dry: As if just because you have good morals, you're not INTJ...

:dry: And introverts not being normal...typical extreme Extravert prejudice.

"Not being organized as you should"...typical Je dominant!

:dry::dry::dry:

Sorry...patience, madhatter, patience.... (Yes, I do talk to myself :crazy:)

Reactions: MilkyWay132

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
oh, and yesterday my mom, him, i, and a family friend went to starbucks and i commented that i really liked the artistic vibe there and a lot of artists in my community hang out in starbucks. to which he replied, "they all look like loafers to me, and i dont see the point in this art..in my office they have paintings and it all looks like a bunch of lines. it has no meaning." mom and i got a bit ticked off..she showed it though, i just said 'well im sure it has significance to the artist who created it."
can't think of anything else atm/
Well, he's not an ISFP...definitely not an ISFP.

Someone mentioned SJ, I'd check that out. Although I think the artistic thing more an individual preference. xxFP's seem to be more drawn to it, but my ISTJ (1000% sure) mom appreciates art too.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:dry: As if just because you have good morals, you're not INTJ...

:dry: And introverts not being normal...typical extreme Extravert prejudice.

"Not being organized as you should"...typical Je dominant!

:dry::dry::dry:

Sorry...patience, madhatter, patience.... (Yes, I do talk to myself :crazy:)
no problem, i talk to myself too:crazy:! LOL i don't think in terms of morals and go about preaching what a good moral is etc..i dont really care about morals, it all seems like self-righteous stuff that prevents you from thinking for yourself. besides, sometimes morals can change depending on the context of the situation. i prefer to do what will achieve the best outcome rather than what's moral and ethical..but then that could just be the anti-organized-religion rebel in me speaking XD
i did mention earlier that my mom is an extreme ESFJ:wink:

·
Registered
322 Posts
ic. ISFJ might be it..he's also great at fixing things though, and he doesnt like art. isfjs like art..right? i dunno -_-
You don't have to be an ISTP to be good at fixing things and whilst many ISFJ may appreciate art it is not indicative of their type.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You don't have to be an ISTP to be good at fixing things and whilst many ISFJ may appreciate art it is not indicative of their type.
ic. thanks for the clarification.

·
Banned
891 Posts
i used to know an isfp who hated modern art because it seemed to have no meaning. maybe he does actually appreciate art but not when it is just a series of meaningless squiggles?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i used to know an isfp who hated modern art because it seemed to have no meaning. maybe he does actually appreciate art but not when it is just a series of meaningless squiggles?
you may be right, because i do remember him talking about the significance of one of leonardo da vinci's paintings a while ago..idr which 1 he was mentioning, but he did tell us about the story behind it. i spose he just doesn't like abstract art, lol.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I don't like abstract contemporary art, either. Ask me what I think about Rothko one of these days.

·
Banned
891 Posts
I don't like abstract contemporary art, either. Ask me what I think about Rothko one of these days.
what DO you think about Rothko?:crazy:

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Ms. rousse sent me a Private Message calling me an "INTP" and "There is such a thing as an uneducated INTP, and you are it."
Regardless of whether I'm uneducated or not, determining that I'm an ISTP is really up to me rousse, not you.

For anyone else who wants to make snide backdoor comments, I've taken several different Myers-Briggs self assessments. I've come up maybe 7 or 8 times as ISTP, once as an INTP and once or maybe twice as an ISTJ.

The descriptions of INTP and even more so ISTJ do not fit me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts