Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to figure out whether my dad is an ISTP or ISFP...
and here's how i came to the IS_P conclusion. feel free to correct me if im wrong.
I- he definitely needs time on his own to relax. he'll spend time around people, but he's way more reserved than he is gregarious, and my ESFJ mom(she took the test for work, and is a very strong esfj) annoys the hell out of him when she tells him that he needs to maintain relationships, etc. my mom nags the guy a lot. she's ALWAYS criticizing him for...(continued after P-)
P-being too messy, too laid back, not doing enough work, doing things last minute, lack of planning, "not living in this world enough"..those are the ones i hear every two days. goodness, is it ever annoying...
S- he's definitely an S. despite what my mom says about him "not living in this world" he is pretty detail-oriented, conservative, is a genius at fixing things, and finds philosophy and astrology to be "absolute nonsense."
T or F- he's a very devout catholic..to the point of trying to force his religion on me..im an agnostic. oh, and he holds a LOT of grudges. initially i assumed T but he's extremely moody and sometimes acts irrational..like sometimes when him and mom are fighting he goes "ill divorce you..im filing for a divorce." er..that's emotional manipulation, right? =S
oh, and yesterday my mom, him, i, and a family friend went to starbucks and i commented that i really liked the artistic vibe there and a lot of artists in my community hang out in starbucks. to which he replied, "they all look like loafers to me, and i dont see the point in this art..in my office they have paintings and it all looks like a bunch of lines. it has no meaning." mom and i got a bit ticked off..she showed it though, i just said 'well im sure it has significance to the artist who created it."
can't think of anything else atm/

Reactions: MilkyWay132

·
Registered
58 Posts
Interesting. I don't know as much about typing as others do, but I will say my dad is an ISTP (and my mom is an ESFJ, weird), and unlike me, he'll typically have a more objective stance rather than relying on his personal values. He's the most practical man I've met, and he mostly lives in the present. Sometimes it seems he's not in tune with others' feelings. I rarely ever hear him expressing his emotions.

It's been strange growing up with him as an INFP, but I appreciate him tremendously for what he's taught me. Hopefully any of that helps in typing your dad.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I don't know as much about typing as others do, but I will say my dad is an ISTP (and my mom is an ESFJ, weird), and unlike me, he'll typically have a more objective stance rather than relying on his personal values. He's the most practical man I've met, and he mostly lives in the present. Sometimes it seems he's not in tune with others' feelings. I rarely ever hear him expressing his emotions.

It's been strange growing up with him as an INFP, but I appreciate him tremendously for what he's taught me. Hopefully any of that helps in typing your dad.
ic. im not sure whether he has an objective stance or not..that's hard to tell.honestly, im not sure. well i do know that my dad is adventurous..istps tend to be adventurous, right? my family has moved 5 times, much to the chagrin of my esfj mom who wanted him to settle down..he finally has. well..for the moment anyway XD
my dad does express his emotions..esp when he's pissed off with mom or the dishes. that's when he yells and screams. when they fight, they fight throwing things.
thanks for trying, but it didnt help much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ic. im not sure whether he has an objective stance or not..that's hard to tell.honestly, im not sure. well i do know that my dad is adventurous..istps tend to be adventurous, right? my family has moved 5 times, much to the chagrin of my esfj mom who wanted him to settle down..he finally has. well..for the moment anyway XD
my dad does express his emotions..esp when he's pissed off with mom or the dishes. that's when he yells and screams. when they fight, they fight throwing things.
thanks for trying, but it didnt help much.
Yeah, my dad tends to be very adventurous. He's always finding new things to do or new things to buy when he gets bored (which is very easily). To be honest, the fighting and the throwing sounds like my mom and dad's relationship before they were divorced. Not saying your parents will go down the same path, especially because my dad also had a mood disorder which highly contributed to their demise, but he definitely did show his emotions when angry.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, my dad tends to be very adventurous. He's always finding new things to do or new things to buy when he gets bored (which is very easily). To be honest, the fighting and the throwing sounds like my mom and dad's relationship before they were divorced. Not saying your parents will go down the same path, especially because my dad also had a mood disorder which highly contributed to their demise, but he definitely did show his emotions when angry.
lol when my dad gets bored, he watches TV or goes on the computer. one time my mom saw him watching tv after she came from a grocery trip and oh dear..she literally came in, yelled at him, and hit him in the face. me, bro, & dad hated her for it. wtf...he DOES help when she asks for it, and yelling at him and interrupting his free time is not going to make him help!
he loves to watch the news. oh..dear..your parents' story sounds like what my parents are doing atm. except they wont divorce bc my mom says "it's bad for the kids" and "it's against our christian values and we need to work out our differences."..yeah, she's one to talk..criticizing my dad for being himself. sorry, i don't think it's fair to criticize other people..just let them be. i wish she didnt always have to say things like that.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Does he tell you, you are, "being too messy, too laid back, not doing enough work, doing things last minute, lack of planning, "not living in this world enough"..those are the ones i hear every two days. goodness, is it ever annoying..."

Or is that what your mom says to him?

I can't imagine an ISTP forcing his religion on anyone. Sharing the benefits of faith maybe or sharing bible facts, but not forcing it on you. "Shoulds" more often belong in the J realm.

To me he sounds like ISxJ, leaning toward ISTJ. However, without the test you could be off on how his functions present.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My dad's an ISTP. It's hard to conclude whether your dad's T or F from those things you mentioned.

My dad never holds grudges. And he never uses emotional manipulation. He has never threaten my mom with a divorce when they are fighting but that's something what my mom (ISFJ) often does. He's an atheist and I think that if I ever showed any will to turn to a christian he probably would have something to say against it... at least he's forcing me to stop smoking because smoking is a waste of money so ISTPs can be quite firm when they have an opinion about something. Otherwise he never really interferes in my life. My dad can be moody and he has bursts of anger but usually he's very laid-back. His emotional life just isn't as complicated as someone with a high Fi would have. He's a computer programmer and he loves technical gadgets and plays with them all day. But I think my dad's an extreme Ti-user so typing him wasn't difficult. Maybe you should just ask your dad to take the test?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
yes, staryu, ISTPs can be very firm with their opinions. And sudden anger also. But from what I've seen it doesn't last and doesn't really linger with them.

I'm sorry to hear of violence in your family. That adds an incredible amount of stress to a stressful situation.

My dad was ISTP as far as I can determine, but he was very passive aggressive. My mom was a control freak, so they were opposites. He rarely insisted on anything being a certain way and this was a source of frustration for my mom. We moved a few times when I was kid with no known plan or reason. My dad just decided. I think he thought about it first and then we moved. Sometimes his siblings wouldn't know where we were till they found him again.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does he tell you, you are, "being too messy, too laid back, not doing enough work, doing things last minute, lack of planning, "not living in this world enough"..those are the ones i hear every two days. goodness, is it ever annoying..."

Or is that what your mom says to him?

I can't imagine an ISTP forcing his religion on anyone. Sharing the benefits of faith maybe or sharing bible facts, but not forcing it on you. "Shoulds" more often belong in the J realm.

To me he sounds like ISxJ, leaning toward ISTJ. However, without the test you could be off on how his functions present.
ohh noo what i meant was that my MOM lectures him for "being too messy, too laid back, not doing enough work, doing things last minute, lack of planning, "not living in this world enough," not him. he doesn't lecture me on those things LOL. MOM does. sorry for the lack of clarification.
yup that's what my mom says to him. exactly that.
lol he does try and force his religion on me..keeps trying to make me go to church and stuff and that his religion is the only right religion and that if i dont believe ill go to hell or see for myself that it is true..

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, staryu, ISTPs can be very firm with their opinions. And sudden anger also. But from what I've seen it doesn't last and doesn't really linger with them.

I'm sorry to hear of violence in your family. That adds an incredible amount of stress to a stressful situation.

My dad was ISTP as far as I can determine, but he was very passive aggressive. My mom was a control freak, so they were opposites. He rarely insisted on anything being a certain way and this was a source of frustration for my mom. We moved a few times when I was kid with no known plan or reason. My dad just decided. I think he thought about it first and then we moved. Sometimes his siblings wouldn't know where we were till they found him again.
violence only when they fight -_-
ic. lol my dad..he's very temperamental. you never know if it's anger, sad, happy, excited..unpredictable basically =P. he has a lot of grudges tho and tends to bring up old family-related matters and say stuff about them.
XD my mom is a control freak too LOL. idk if my dad insists on things being a certain way..he's way less OCD abt things tho.
my dad couldnt make up his mind abt where to stay either..

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I- he definitely needs time on his own to relax. he'll spend time around people, but he's way more reserved than he is gregarious, and my ESFJ mom(she took the test for work, and is a very strong esfj) annoys the hell out of him when she tells him that he needs to maintain relationships, etc. my mom nags the guy a lot. she's ALWAYS criticizing him for...(continued after P-)
No doubt that he is most likely an introverting type, but the question is whether he prefers Ti, Fi, Ni or Si as his dominant function. Unfortunately he may be the only one that can tell you, and if he is not into typing, he sure will not take the time to determine his dominant function.
P-being too messy, too laid back, not doing enough work, doing things last minute, lack of planning, "not living in this world enough"..those are the ones i hear every two days. goodness, is it ever annoying...[
Uhh no…. on so many levels, to include J/P does not measure cleanliness only if you prefer your environment to be structured or unstructured. Also you’re talking about something that indirectly represents a function (J/P) that at best may not be developed in the average introverting type (Se or Ne auxiliary).
S- he's definitely an S. despite what my mom says about him "not living in this world" he is pretty detail-oriented, conservative, is a genius at fixing things, and finds philosophy and astrology to be "absolute nonsense."
There are two sensing types Si and Se. Your whole description was based on SJ (ergo someone preferring Si) types. I am not detail oriented and I have yet to meet a conservative ISTP type. We are the epitome of centrists.
T or F- he's a very devout catholic..to the point of trying to force his religion on me..im an agnostic. oh, and he holds a LOT of grudges. initially i assumed T but he's extremely moody and sometimes acts irrational..like sometimes when him and mom are fighting he goes "ill divorce you..im filing for a divorce." er..that's emotional manipulation, right? =S

oh, and yesterday my mom, him, i, and a family friend went to starbucks and i commented that i really liked the artistic vibe there and a lot of artists in my community hang out in starbucks. to which he replied, "they all look like loafers to me, and i dont see the point in this art..in my office they have paintings and it all looks like a bunch of lines. it has no meaning." mom and i got a bit ticked off..she showed it though, i just said 'well im sure it has significance to the artist who created it."
can't think of anything else atm/
He could be ISTJ, but since you’re basing this on your perception and what you may be observing as the role of a parent then SJ would be the temperament that parenting falls under. I think you will have an easier time just asking him to take an assessment since nothing you have said would give credence that he is ISP.

You may want to scan the ISTP sub-forum and you will determine that much of what you perceive as being ISTP is simply not. I like astrology as do others and I am not sure what you mean by fixing things, because I am the least mechanically inclined person I know. And contrary to what you understand, your mom is correct about ISPs not always living in this world. Ni is our tertiary and we do have good use of it, some better than the auxiliary function. So far I would not be able to say he is anything but an introvert, which gives you 8 choices. But if unhealthy may also be using shadow functions, ergo possibly an extraverting type.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No doubt that he is most likely an introverting type, but the question is whether he prefers Ti, Fi, Ni or Si as his dominant function. Unfortunately he may be the only one that can tell you, and if he is not into typing, he sure will not take the time to determine his dominant function. Uhh no…. on so many levels, to include J/P does not measure cleanliness only if you prefer your environment to be structured or unstructured. Also you’re talking about something that indirectly represents a function (J/P) that at best may not be developed in the average introverting type (Se or Ne auxiliary).There are two sensing types Si and Se. Your whole description was based on SJ (ergo someone preferring Si) types. I am not detail oriented and I have yet to meet a conservative ISTP type. We are the epitome of centrists. He could be ISTJ, but since you’re basing this on your perception and what you may be observing as the role of a parent then SJ would be the temperament that parenting falls under. I think you will have an easier time just asking him to take an assessment since nothing you have said would give credence that he is ISP.

You may want to scan the ISTP sub-forum and you will determine that much of what you perceive as being ISTP is simply not. I like astrology as do others and I am not sure what you mean by fixing things, because I am the least mechanically inclined person I know. And contrary to what you understand, your mom is correct about ISPs not always living in this world. Ni is our tertiary and we do have good use of it, some better than the auxiliary function. So far I would not be able to say he is anything but an introvert, which gives you 8 choices. But if unhealthy may also be using shadow functions, ergo possibly an extraverting type.
my dad heard about the mbti and abt how my mom had to take it at work, & he said "but couldn't the person taking it just change their answer to be more responsible, organized..? this is nonsense."
ic. well his work environment is pretty organized, but his "relaxing space" has stuff lying around all over the place & he says he feels more at home there. so i spose he'd rather be in an unstructured environment...
i disagree with the part about me perceiving him as SJ because one of my friend's dad's is definitely an istp(he's easy-going, extremely chill, and tells himself confucius sayings to stay calm when his wife throws temper tantrums. he's also a huge foodie, loves sports, and thrives off adrenaline, and he took the test for a job interview he went to.) but he does encourage her in doing things and is pretty open-minded.he still tells her to stay out of trouble tho.
whereas, my dad is easy-going, chill, is definitely a huge foodie XD, hates organized sports, but loves things like wakeboarding and water-skiing..those kinds of sports. oh and he likes the extreme amusement park rides some people are scared of. then again, i do too and im an INTJ, so that doesn't help much. he's also very impulsive, and unpredictable too, as i mentioned.
ohh my dad is VERY mechanically inclined. he fixes computers and writes programs, and is a huge fan of technology. he also fixes things around the house if my mom asks for it. if my brother asks him to fix things, my dad does it right away without an instruction manual..and gets it right:shocked:
well when he was younger he didn't care about religion but he did prefer to do things as they had always been done( according to my mom).

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
my dad heard about the mbti and abt how my mom had to take it at work, & he said "but couldn't the person taking it just change their answer to be more responsible, organized..? this is nonsense."
That is a question that many would and do ask. But it has no bearing on one's type, just a point of realization.
ic. well his work environment is pretty organized, but his "relaxing space" has stuff lying around all over the place & he says he feels more at home there. so i spose he'd rather be in an unstructured environment...
That could be indicative of any IJ type finding a need to organize their work and space away from home (Te or Fe), but when in their own environment not keeping it clean (Ni or Si). Again the J/P dichotomy has no bearing on cleanliness. When I alluded to structured/unstructured, I am meaning that Te and Fe types preferring to have their worlds structured/scheduled and Ne and Se types prefer to do things as they come. Nevertheless for introverts you're still referring to a function or in this case dichotomy where there is no guarantee that it is developed or is always used. The only function that naturally develops is our dominant function and Ni and Si can be as unstructured when at home.
i disagree with the part about me perceiving him as SJ because one of my friend's dad's is definitely an istp(he's easy-going, extremely chill, and tells himself confucius sayings to stay calm when his wife throws temper tantrums. he's also a huge foodie, loves sports, and thrives off adrenaline, and he took the test for a job interview he went to.) but he does encourage her in doing things and is pretty open-minded.he still tells her to stay out of trouble tho.
I did not say you're perceiving him as SJ. I am saying that people perceive their parents as SJs because they play the roles of parents.
whereas, my dad is easy-going, chill, is definitely a huge foodie XD, hates organized sports, but loves things like wakeboarding and water-skiing..those kinds of sports. oh and he likes the extreme amusement park rides some people are scared of. then again, i do too and im an INTJ, so that doesn't help much. he's also very impulsive, and unpredictable too, as i mentioned.
Nothing there would give indication that he is ISP.
ohh my dad is VERY mechanically inclined. he fixes computers and writes programs, and is a huge fan of technology. he also fixes things around the house if my mom asks for it. if my brother asks him to fix things, my dad does it right away without an instruction manual..and gets it right:shocked:
well when he was younger he didn't care about religion but he did prefer to do things as they had always been done( according to my mom).
Again it seems that your perceptions appear to be based on a very general theory of dichotomies and codes, and misconceptions due to stereotypes. He could just as easily be ESTP, but so far I would not rule out all introverting types, assuming he is an introvert.

Reactions: Staryu

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is a question that many would and do ask. But it has no bearing on one's type, just a point of realization.That could be indicative of any IJ type finding a need to organize their work and space away from home (Te or Fe), but when in their own environment not keeping it clean (Ni or Si). Again the J/P dichotomy has no bearing on cleanliness. When I alluded to structured/unstructured, I am meaning that Te and Fe types preferring to have their worlds structured/scheduled and Ne and Se types prefer to do things as they come. Nevertheless for introverts you're still referring to a function or in this case dichotomy where there is no guarantee that it is developed or is always used. The only function that naturally develops is our dominant function and Ni and Si can be as unstructured when at home.I did not say you're perceiving him as SJ. I am saying that people perceive their parents as SJs because they play the roles of parents. Nothing there would give indication that he is ISP.Again it seems that your perceptions appear to be based on a very general theory of dichotomies and codes, and misconceptions due to stereotypes. He could just as easily be ESTP, but so far I would not rule out all introverting types, assuming he is an introvert.
you're right. i had the same question too when i first took this test(about people lying about their personality to get a job they wanted or to impress someone, etc)..but then i read about the cognitive functions & it made sense.
ic. so at this point one of his dominant functions could be Ni or Si i spose..:confused:
well he prefers to do things as they come..he doesn't care about planning stuff. does this make him a dominant Ne or Se?
i see. you're right..my perceptions are mostly based on stereotypes what with ISTPs being the "mechanics" and everything.

Reactions: Functianalyst

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
you're right. i had the same question too when i first took this test(about people lying about their personality to get a job they wanted or to impress someone, etc)..but then i read about the cognitive functions & it made sense.
ic. so at this point one of his dominant functions could be Ni or Si i spose..:confused:
well he prefers to do things as they come..he doesn't care about planning stuff. does this make him a dominant Ne or Se?
i see. you're right..my perceptions are mostly based on stereotypes what with ISTPs being the "mechanics" and everything.
Unfortunately I am not sure and I don't want to propose to know what function is being used for each circumstance you have illustrated or at what level it's being used. He may well be ISTP or ISFP as you said, but only he can test and confirm his own type. This again is a reason that I simply don't try typing others.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dad's an ISTP. It's hard to conclude whether your dad's T or F from those things you mentioned.

My dad never holds grudges. And he never uses emotional manipulation. He has never threaten my mom with a divorce when they are fighting but that's something what my mom (ISFJ) often does. He's an atheist and I think that if I ever showed any will to turn to a christian he probably would have something to say against it... at least he's forcing me to stop smoking because smoking is a waste of money so ISTPs can be quite firm when they have an opinion about something. Otherwise he never really interferes in my life. My dad can be moody and he has bursts of anger but usually he's very laid-back. His emotional life just isn't as complicated as someone with a high Fi would have. He's a computer programmer and he loves technical gadgets and plays with them all day. But I think my dad's an extreme Ti-user so typing him wasn't difficult. Maybe you should just ask your dad to take the test?
yeah the part about holding grudges and the "filing for divorce" makes me think F. his basis for being christian is that there is historical evidence to prove it is correct and that Jesus existed, so he is the Son of God. and he and my mom were pretty upset and flustered when i said i dont believe in their religion..
my dad is an IT systems analyst and likes technical gadgets too. but me thinking of him as a T could be partially die to the fact that in his profession, logic is highly valued. plus the fact that he's independent and doesn't follow what people tell him to do if he thinks he's right..kind of like me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts