Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today while out to lunch I ran into an old friend of mine, and she was with 3 other males at Subway. I spotted her and moved over and sat down. After getting a quick feel for everyone I dove in and did what I refer to as, "Taking the floor," to share amusing anecdotes, observations, and jokes of mine. Throughout the process one of the males goes off on an intellectual tangent about our unconscious psychology as a species, and we were about to take off on a conversation about roving troops of apes that go out simply to murder other apes when I noticed the other two males start to glaze over and look completely disinterested, almost offended. So I quickly maneuvered the conversation to It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia which just brightened their days like you wouldn't believe. Now the old me, from 2 years ago, never would've even thought about not having that awesome convo about human nature, and even if it had crossed my mind, I would've thought, "Fuck them if they don't like this convo."

So I'm wondering, is this a good example of Fe or is it just my damn Ne at work again? I always feel like I have trouble knowing when I'm using certain functions, aside from Ti, that's an easy one to know.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Seems like both. Ne to notice/guess that they didn't like the conversation and that they might like the other, Fe to decide to change the topic to what they like to consider them.
Or maybe it was Si recognising this has happened before and in that situation your friends get annoyed and Ti deciding you don't want that situation and how to avoid it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
So today while out to lunch I ran into an old friend of mine, and she was with 3 other males at Subway. I spotted her and moved over and sat down. After getting a quick feel for everyone I dove in and did what I refer to as, "Taking the floor," to share amusing anecdotes, observations, and jokes of mine. Throughout the process one of the males goes off on an intellectual tangent about our unconscious psychology as a species, and we were about to take off on a conversation about roving troops of apes that go out simply to murder other apes when I noticed the other two males start to glaze over and look completely disinterested, almost offended. So I quickly maneuvered the conversation to It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia which just brightened their days like you wouldn't believe. Now the old me, from 2 years ago, never would've even thought about not having that awesome convo about human nature, and even if it had crossed my mind, I would've thought, "Fuck them if they don't like this convo."

So I'm wondering, is this a good example of Fe or is it just my damn Ne at work again? I always feel like I have trouble knowing when I'm using certain functions, aside from Ti, that's an easy one to know.
I believe that you have developed this function. You made a Judgment based on everyone involved and sucessfully manevered it to something that all could join in on.

In response to what pc3000 said I don't think it was Si because Si does not judge it percieves or gathers information. It might realize something was out of place due to the past but would still need to figure out what to do with it...and ENTP's have weak Si anyways so i'd imagine that in a heated conversation it would not be able to function well and would easily be overshadowed by Ne.

and in response to what SuperUnknownVortex said I don't think Ne has anythng to do with it directly either. Ne may have caused you directly perceive the possibilities of their expressions but you still then would have to judge that information and thats where your Fe came in.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would say that deciding to change the topic was Fe at work. You noticed that the two guys were uninterested, if not downright offended, and you took some degree of concern. That's more or less what Fe is, a concern for the feelings/concerns of others. Of course, being T types, I think we take a somewhat different approach on Fe compared to F types...I think we are more logical when we deal with it and we're more suited for empathy than sympathy, but its Fe nonetheless.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Fe is where you notice negative reaction or attitude in others and it sort of rings a bell in your mind to adjust your behavior to prevent this kind of reaction in them, and Ne is predicting what would work from that point on, such as switching topic of conversation to something they'd like to talk about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts