Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a friend of mine take the MBTI test because I was having a hard time typing him. I was even lucky enough to get him to take it twice, once in two different places. The first time, he got ISFP, which he didn't like and said it didn't fit. The second time, he got INFP, which he didn't really have an opinion about.

I know the I is right, and I know he's an F. I'm pretty sure he's a P, too, but I guess I don't know for sure. What I'm not sure about is the N vs S. He and I do seem to be on the same page a lot of the time, either finishing each other's sentences or coming up with the exact same idea. That suggests N to me, but I dunno.

I thought I was an INFP for a while and there's one thing he does that makes me think our types are probably not that close. I am all about keeping harmony in groups. I want everyone to get along and get stressed out if they aren't. If I don't like somebody, I won't say anything and will try to just go with the flow and keep my thoughts to myself. I want everybody to like me.
In contrast, he cannot stand to have people around him that he does not like, or who have a behavior he doesn't like. Little things will irritate him to death. He will immediately leave without trying to compromise if someone he doesn't like is around. He will also tell them straight to their face that he doesn't like them and why he doesn't like them. This part of him is hard for me to understand and I'm always trying to get him to try and see things from others' points of view.

Anyway, ask me any questions you'd like to help determine the type! It'd be good to finally understand.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think ISFPs are even more harmonious than INFPs in such situations so having little patience to deal with those your friend can't stand might be more INFPish. I can be at times as rude as your friend. Usually not though. I think it's part of the thing that INFPs seek meaningful and authentic interaction with other people. We feel like being nice to someone we don't really like is just faking and lying and therefore wrong.

I think a good way to figure out is he's S or N is to talk to him about philosophical, esoteric and abstract things. Ask his opinion about the deep issues of life. If he's INFP his head will probably explode because there's finally someone he can speculate about the various aspects of life. ISFPs usually give more concrete answers or get confused. S concentrates in details, N sees the big picture.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I also had problems with someone I thought to be either ISFP or INFP. I was leaning towards ISFP and I showed her a description of the type. Then she was like "I don't think in boxes, that's crap." And I was like "No it's nothing like that, it's about understanding people." But from then on she wasn't interested anymore and she told me she dislikes psychology anyhow. I find MBTI very interesting and I think most INFPs do, so I'm still holding on to her being ISFP. She is interested in astrology and philosophy though, especially existentialism. I can see both ISFPs and INFPs identifiying with existentialism.

Reactions: dejavu and RyRyMini

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't think the philosophical discussions will give you an answer - a lot of sensors can partake in those. Like babblingbrook said, I definitely identify with existentialism.

To me, your friend doesn't really sound like either INFP or ISFP. How strong was his F in the test results? If you think he's one of the two for sure, you should look into Se and Ne and see which one he seems to use more.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the philosophical discussions will give you an answer - a lot of sensors can partake in those. Like babblingbrook said, I definitely identify with existentialism.

To me, your friend doesn't really sound like either INFP or ISFP. How strong was his F in the test results? If you think he's one of the two for sure, you should look into Se and Ne and see which one he seems to use more.
His F was pretty strong. That was one of the things I was able to guess about him, because he seems to make decisions based on emotional responses. Maybe I'm wrong about it though...only he would know for sure and he does not seem interested in delving deeper in psychology. I'm positive that he's an I, and he would agree.

We haven't had many discussions about the deep issues in life, which is unusual for me. I usually get into that stuff easily. I think I don't with him because I tend to lose him when I do. That suggests S, I guess?

I don't see many signs of Ne in him. I use it like crazy, and when I use it when I'm talking to him it seems to help shape ideas that he had. I do think he's the one to come up with details that I overlook. Like, he'll come up with something and then I'll run with it into every direction, and he seems to appreciate this, but never does it himself. When we're analyzing others' behaviors, I will be trying to explain everything and understand, and get him to see their side and why they do what they do. He doesn't seem so interested in the whys of it all, but more about how they are being now. I don't know enough about cognitive functions to be sure of it, but that points to S to me. At the same time...he doesn't seem overly detailed-oriented. This is tough! Also, maybe he does use Ne, but since I'm more extroverted, maybe I overwhelm him with my use of it so I don't get to see him using it quite so much?

Maybe INTP is another possibility? I'm not sure what other type he sounds like.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
One thing that is important to think about is whether he internalizes logical thinking and self-discloses his values based on what he feels is right or whether he internalizes his values and feelings and implements logical solutions and observations to the external world.

To me it sounds like he has a Ti/Fe thing going on, but I'm not exactly sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts