Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. I have a Social Anxiety Disorder and I'm an ISFJ 6w5 so/sp/sx. I think ISFJ, type 6 and so all "correlate" with social anxiety disorder. So, do I have social anxiety disorder because of my types, or am I those types because of my social anxiety disorder?

Any experiences or ideas?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I don't think social anxiety and types are actually that related. I think some types are more prone to it, but there are people in every type who have it and those who don't. I think social anxiety is caused by fear and perhaps a bit of negative thinking patterns, which are caused by experiences. Its really tough to have social anxiety. I haven't ever been diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I've had it and still do and know what its like. I was just thinking it would be cool if we had a social anxiety support group on the "groups" but then I don't know if people would feel comfortable joining it lol! And also wonder if it would be counter productive for us anxious people...

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm an INTP (at least that's what the tests say) and I suffer from social anxiety. For me, my social anxiety stems from bullying when I was younger. I suppose one's type could have an affect if one's type has a tendency to not really give a shit about superficial criticism. Then again my type is supposed to be logic based, and even though I've rationalized my anxiety to a point where I now understand that the people only said the things they did due to certain industries depicting unrealistic standards of beauty, I still can't get over it.

The thing is, when I was bullied I was more of a feeler than a thinker. So I imagine back then I was more susceptible to the bullying, whereas now, as I've grown up and become more introverted and value logic over emotion, I probably wouldn't have been so affected by it if it was to happen to me now. In light of that I suppose it does matter what type of personality you have when you're at the centre of a potentially damaging experience, because I think it's how you process the information there and then that causes your brain to fundamentally change.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I don't really know, but I'll try to speculate based on my own experience. I either have a mild case or had a case of social anxiety. Tried to take one medication but it backfired. I'm more confident after facing my anxiety head-on, and now while I'm not great in extreme crowds, I can survive the situations that I'm put into.

It's easy to avoid dealing with social anxiety while being an INFP. I don't feel like I'm missing out with many situations that would cause anxiety. Like @Laze said, but from a NF perspective: I'm too far inside my own head to notice most of the time. In my case, I needed somebody to bring me outside of myself, into the real world, even if the real world can be scary at times.

That doesn't mean Exxx types can't have social anxiety, in fact I would really feel bad for an ESFJ or ENFJ (Fe dom extroverts) growing up with this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts