Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thats my question. i believe it is. i believe we all deal with pain differently. i have the ability to block out pain. we know certain people are better at dealing with pain then others, but why? do we experience it differently? what does pain mean to you? we all know what it feels like, and we all try to avoid it. it is my belief that the things that cause you the greatest pain are the things you can learn from the most. physically, emotionally, and spiritually. so what does pain mean to you and how does it affect you in your everyday life?

please leave your thoughts. hopefully we can all learn something from this thread

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,359 Posts
yes, I think it's subjective. Certain things certianly seem to hurt some people more than they do others. While learning to bear with it is a factor, I don't think it's the only reason that one person is able to bear something better than someone else. I think two people can actually feel very different levels of pain from the same injury. And I think people can have a higher tollerance for certain types of pain, and a lower tollerance for other types.

I also think that ideas can affect both perception of pain and behaviors that look like low or high pain tollerance. Anticipation of pain often makes it seem worse, perhaps because in a way it drags out the exprience within your mind. Also attitudes related to the cause of one's pain can have an effect on how well or badly you deal with it - I believe that emotional stress on top of something painful increases it, whereas pain that happens as a side-effect of doing something you enjoy or feel is good for you (and thus has positive feelings attached to the situation) can seem easier to bear. Also knowing that it's going to end, and approximately how soon, seems to boost one's ability to endure pain greatly and I think this is again tied to the idea of Hope (and thus it can also be connected to one's sense of competance in a situation, if you believe you can handle it, or believe it will make you more able to handle it in the future, or if you believe you won't survive, or won't fully recover, or won't gain anything). Also, for example, I find that I have a near phobia of becoming injured, however when accidents actually happen and I do become injured it's usually not so bad - so I act really afraid and 'weak', but may not have as low of a tollerance for it as I seem to think in many cases.

(also, I don't necessarily think that the level of pain indicates how much you can learn from something. Pain is usually an indicator that something is wrong and that you should work on fixing whatever it is though, so pain can be useful.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't understand why this is in Cognitive Functions subforum but it's an interesting subject. Yes, some people are better at dealing with pain. Often people who meditate are better at dealing with both physical and emotional pain. I'm not sure why. I have started meditation practice and hope to see results in the future.

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Pain is something that I would find to be objective and subjective, as most physical pain revolves around neurological bodily functions and such. It is a good thing to feel pain, or otherwise you wouldn't realize that you were sick, or that you can't just constantly poke your fucking eyes all the time. Like a few children who don't feel pain, and such.

I don't think this is related to type though, and mostly biochemistry that exists in the person's own body though. Even things such as emotional sensitivity can be explained with science, and such.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Can't believe I'm doing this, but yes.

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
I don't understand why this is in Cognitive Functions subforum but it's an interesting subject. Yes, some people are better at dealing with pain. Often people who meditate are better at dealing with both physical and emotional pain. I'm not sure why. I have started meditation practice and hope to see results in the future.

:) Me too; this guy has been amazing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes. Some people have a high tolerance of pain while others have a low tolerance of pain.

In other words, the feeling of pain depends on the person (who's feeling pain).

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Physically, it is subjective because it's just based on neurological impulses. It does only exist in the mind.

Spiritually, for me:

"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment,We are choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside
This holy reality, this holy experience.
Choosing to be here in

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal
All this pain is an illusion.

Alive, I

In this holy reality, in this holy experience. Choosing to be here in

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal
All this pain is an illusion.

Twirling round with this familiar parable.
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing.

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.
All this pain is an illusion."

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pain is something that I would find to be objective and subjective, as most physical pain revolves around neurological bodily functions and such. It is a good thing to feel pain, or otherwise you wouldn't realize that you were sick, or that you can't just constantly poke your fucking eyes all the time. Like a few children who don't feel pain, and such.

I don't think this is related to type though, and mostly biochemistry that exists in the person's own body though. Even things such as emotional sensitivity can be explained with science, and such.
Sorry guys. i posted this in cognitive functions because i didnt know where to put it. im still a newbie :/

this is interesting. so what your saying is pain is a good thing, and i agree. but i believe there are different forms of pain. Physical pain, Emotional pain (Caused when you lose love), Spiritual pain (Caused when you have a deep set internal conflict). i think the latter two can be much more frustrating and exhausting. we have all felt regret (spiritual pain) and most of us have felt betrayal (emotional pain) so even though the pain comes in different forms only you can experience that exact pain. because it depends on your enviornment, and every single situation is different. i believe your mindset can help a person deal with pain. if someone is prepared to be cut with a knife i think theyll be able to cope with it better having the prior knowledge and not being surprised with pain. so its all circumstantial, and therefor subjective. thats my opinion at least, the only evidence i have is the truths i pull from my life experiences and of those around me

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I don't think physical pain is subjective. We all instinctively know what it feels like to feel physical pain. And although some of us might have a higher tolerance for physical pain, or better mechanisms for ignoring it, we're all going to react in about the same way to prolonged physical pain. However, we don't always empathize with physical pain easily because our brains naturally block out memories of physical pain.

Emotional pain, on the other hand, is incredibly subjective. This makes sense if you think about how hard it is to understand the perspective of someone who has, for example, lost a loved one and you never have. Or lost a pet and you never have. And so on. Emotional pain is tied to events and people. Hypothetically, I won't necessarily feel the same kind of pain moving out of some kind of random apartment compared to moving away from home.

In short, physical is tied to our bodies and emotional is tied to our experiences. Thus, by nature, physical is going to be objective and emotional is going to be subjective.

Reactions: Carmine Ermine

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I don't see how pain could be objective. It's an internally felt sensation, by definition. That's pain. How could pain be objective? Perhaps an Adam Sandler movie?

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Just because it's internal doesn't automatically make it subjective. Would you call a bowel movement subjective as well?
Of course I would. Also, I would contend being internal is a sine qua non for being subjective. Look at that word, subjective. Reliant on the subject. Objective: reliant on the object or environment. This is why Ti is sometimes called subjective logic and Te (extraverted thinking) is sometimes called objective logic.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Of course I would. Also, I would contend being internal is a sine qua non for being subjective. Look at that word, subjective. Reliant on the subject. Objective: reliant on the object or environment. This is why Ti is sometimes called subjective logic and Te (extraverted thinking) is sometimes called objective logic.
Pain is pain. A bowel movement is a bowel movement. How you tolerate or interpret pain is subjective but that does not make the pain or bowel movement not pain or a bowel movement. Pain, by definition, is an actual sensation triggered by an actual stimulus that is independent to the consciousness. Pain is the form of our awareness. Injury is the object of that awareness. Pain is a direct result of injury. There is no choice about this kind of awareness, no subjectivity what-so-ever. Your experience of pain is not reliant on the subject only how you interpret that experience of pain is. Unless you mean to tell me that if two normal, healthy individuals got punched in the face that it's possible for one to experience pain while the other does not.

EDIT: Do you consciously alert yourself that you are experiencing pain? No. It is for that very reason that pain is not reliant on the subject.

·
MOTM Jan 2014
11,128 Posts
I would never begrudge anyone their pain, even if they are hurt over something that doesn't matter to me. The thing I try to do is help them face it; help them feel stronger. If I see that they don't want to get stronger and feel better and they just want to feel sorry for themselves, I might point that out but it doesnt mean I wont listen. I don't think it's my responsibility to fix other people's pain and problems, but I can enjoy it when people are willing to face themselves and really go on a journey. Also, I understand the merit of being a venting board for someone who is sad or hurt or pissed off. Sometimes I appreciate a friend who can just listen while I vent and solve my own problems during the venting sesh. But if someone *expects* my support and can't respect that I have my own life and problems that's a whole other matter- not happening- I am available on my own time. If someone doesn't expect it necessarily but they're honest, I'm not really bothered by the specific subject matter. I have real problems like chronic illness but sometimes I would rather vent about a boy who doesn't like me. I am not here to judge someone because something bothers them.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm going to avoid the whole subjective vs. objective issue, because I see what people on both sides are saying.

I do think that how people experience pain differs widely. I consider myself to have a low threshold of physical pain. My skin is much more sensitive to stimuli than other people I know and so it doesn't take much for things to feel painful. If the whole Highly Sensitive Person theory is true, I certainly fit the bill. On the other hand, how we express our pain can differ as well. I tend not to say much, be stoic; my husband can be quite dramatic about expressing the pain he is feeling.

Reactions: Random Ness
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.