Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. Nines have always been stated as "peacemakers" and "mediators". Doesn't really feel fitting to one within the gut triad, one that is based on control. I always preferred the "Adapter". What title would you say defines you?

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,592 Posts
Adapter sounds good.

Peacemaker sounds a bit too proactive for type 9 sometimes. Making peace requires some action, but withdrawing to find peace is more common.

Peace-seeker

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think "peacemaker" as a concept for 9s is mostly for So dom 9s as So dom 9s seek outer harmony unlike the more inner harmony focused Sp 9s or the more melding Sx 9s. So 9s are like those people who like try and keep the peace in groups and will proactively take action to ensure peace while a Sp 9 will more likely withdraw to ensure inner peace while Sx 9s meld with others to get that fear of separation away.

Its like we get three animals the So 9 is the parrot trying to get everyone to get along via diplomacy while the Sp 9 is the snail retreating into his snail for comfort and peace and the Sx 9 is the chameleon who merges with their environment. Id say So 9 is the "Peacemaker", the Sp 9 the "Stabillty maker" and Sx 9 the "Energy medatior".

·
Banned
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,470 Posts
Mediator is definitely shoving us into a box that we might not fit into, but I understand why we're given the name peacemaker. It's a bit of a nebulous word and different interpretations of the word fit different 9s.

Think of it as meaning we make 'peace' as a general concept. We want peace, we strive for peace. Peace of mind, peaceful life, peaceful interactions and personal relations with other people. We make peace for ourselves. The idea of being a bringer of peace between other people can also be true of some of us, particularly So-focusing 9s, but definitely not all of us.

Reactions: KJ Always

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mediator is definitely shoving us into a box that we might not fit into, but I understand why we're given the name peacemaker. It's a bit of a nebulous word and different interpretations of the word fit different 9s.
Hi There Pizzasarfari!

I have tried to Mediate between people in ought to bring about peace by helping them to understand each other with the Enneagram. I do not like choas or excessive negativity. I don't like people invading my space draining my energy with their behaviors. I learned to take action in ought to get real peace because being avoidance only keep me trapped in it. I don't like that. It is not always something I enjoy doing. If it is a pattern that won't go away, I embrace my fears of loss and separation in the name of needing peace more than I need them. :tongue:

Think of it as meaning we make 'peace' as a general concept. We want peace, we strive for peace. Peace of mind, peaceful life, peaceful interactions and personal relations with other people. We make peace for ourselves. The idea of being a bringer of peace between other people can also be true of some of us, particularly So-focusing 9s, but definitely not all of us.

I can relate to this! I have moments of experiencing each one. I keep most people away from my home in ought to keep it peaceful. I have learned to take my time to get to know people before inviting them to be a part of my private life because I want to make sure they are not disruptive of my need for peace. Yes, I strive for peace, want peace, peace of mind, PEACEFUL LIFE, and make peace for myself as a Self-Preservationist. When my SP needs are satisfied, I expand to help bring peace between people between each other and within themselves and in my connections with them.

I used to keep the peace at all costs (AT MY EXPENSE), but now, I can make war if a person insist on violating my space with their chaos and excessive negativity. I will push them away because if they are going to force me to choose between them or Peace, I will always choose PEACE in the end. They are no longer worth it to me, and I will embrace the pain of loss and separation knowing I will get over it eventually and peace is so much better for my health, energy level, productivity, etc...

The Exception says "Peace-Seeker". What do you think about that being a good name to fit us as a Core Type in all of our forms? Now, I am thinking about it, we are seeking peace in some form. We don't always make real peace, especially if we are keeping the peace at all cost (AT OUR EXPENSE), but we are always seeking it or embracing a false sense of peace like I used to do. That sucked!!!

When I think of your Screen Name, I am thinking of a Rasta with Marijuana in his Pizza! Hahaha!:tongue: They smoke a lot of that here!!!!!!! They would go to Colorado to enjoy it legally sometimes. I cannot understand why is it illegal when more dangerous alcohol and more toxic cigarettes are legal. I never tried it, but I feel safer around them than I do drinkers and no treat to my health (lungs/ asthma) like smokers. I don't participate in any of it and feel no need for any of them.

·
Banned
693 Posts
No, nines are not peacemakers, anymore than two are helpers or eights are protectors. These titles mainly apply to the positive expression of the type. More negative nines are not going to make peace, since they are ruled by sloth/apathy.

In fact, the whole enneagram is actually a more complex version of the seven deadly sins, except there are nine here... Which sin or oppositely, virtue is on the foreground of your consciousness determines your type. That's the best way to determine it. You test a 3 or think you're a 3 but you're mostly a gluttonous person? Well sorry, but that means you're a 7. Thinking about money all the time? Well, you're probably a 5... On the other hand, are you very unattached to material things? Well, still a 5...

Look at the table here under vice/passion vs virtue:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enneagram_of_Personality

·
Registered
966 Posts
Seeker of harmony. Not as crisp or catchy as peacemaker though.

Peace is, in my opinion, what 9s settle for when harmony is not attained. Ideally a 9 finds harmony through serenity and peace follows without effort.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
"Peacemaker" sounds like it has an extraverted bias, when the type has strong withdrawn tendencies. I like thinking of it this way: the type 9 seeks to make inner peace.

Regardless, the names for the types are quite one-dimensional, not just for 9.

·
Registered
642 Posts
maybe "alleviator" or "avoider"? as in, "alleviating/avoiding the pain/tension" i think that fits quite well with the type's fixation of indolence/non-involvement.

i think it makes sense... i believe nines withdraw/detach from conflict to alleviate the tension avoid being too affected by it, they ignore the negatives to alleviate the tension avoid being too affected by it, and they go with the flow and adapt themselves to the situation to alleviate the tension avoid being too affected by it.

i wish i knew an adjective that could fit into "numbing oneself", i could only think of the word "number", but that's clearly not what i'm looking for lol. maybe "neutralizer" could work too?

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
We're peacemakers in the sense that we seek to avoid conflict. Lowering conflict, or conflict prevention, equates to peace. Being agreeable for the sake of avoiding conflict is an example of a 9 habit that falls under this.

'Adapter' may be more apt for a 9w8 but Peacemaker is definitely more fitting by comparison for a 9w1.

And don't confuse the term 'Peacemaker' for some sort of altruistic motive here. In this context, it absolutely means 'making peace for the 9'. The fact that it tends to form a semblance of peace for everyone around is pure happenstance. The actual motivation is for the 9 to feel more comfortable due to conflict avoidance, not an inherent need to want others to get along for their benefit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As a So/SX 9w1, I do feel like the term peacemaker fits me. I'm definitely not assertive, but I'm an active person who contributes readily and compassionately, and I do find joy in helping others' to get along and achieve their dreams.

That said, I've known Self Pres and Sexual 9s, and I agree that Peace Seeker or Seeker of Harmony might be better names for those types. And I do feel it's unfair to give the type a brand that doesn't fit the majority of 9s. In fact, I think social 9s are the countertype, which means we're actually pretty unusual. At first glance, I probably more like the 2 - the helper.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not a 9 but I know plenty. I would say 9s are peacemakers in the sense that even they presence in a group (for example a workplace) causes the group to be more harmonic. Even when they just listen to others can help everyone (to calm down / vent if nothing else).

·
Registered
984 Posts
It's definitely misleading. Has anyone experienced 9s who are (unintentionally) chaos-makers, rather than peacemakers? Who will ensue unknowingly chaos for their own personal comfort? Or who are so indifferent and uncaring of others, that it causes conflict, which they then ignore, which only makes things worse? I think I'd call them "The Comfort and Stability Seekers" or "Inner Peace Seekers"

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I think "peacemaker" as a concept for 9s is mostly for So dom 9s as So dom 9s seek outer harmony unlike the more inner harmony focused Sp 9s or the more melding Sx 9s. So 9s are like those people who like try and keep the peace in groups and will proactively take action to ensure peace while a Sp 9 will more likely withdraw to ensure inner peace while Sx 9s meld with others to get that fear of separation away.

Its like we get three animals the So 9 is the parrot trying to get everyone to get along via diplomacy while the Sp 9 is the snail retreating into his snail for comfort and peace and the Sx 9 is the chameleon who merges with their environment. Id say So 9 is the "Peacemaker", the Sp 9 the "Stabillty maker" and Sx 9 the "Energy medatior".
Still falls under the category of peace seeking.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like Comfort Seeker. It makes the most sense. Being a nine is not really about peace but "merging" with the environment. We naturally go with flow in situation. That may result in keeping the "peace", but it's more along the lines of "Okay, I don't really care about it that much. That's fine". If we do have to push at something we really care about.... Hoo boy, Hellion mode!

·
Registered
940 Posts
i've never really identified with the word peacemaker. if i had to, i would have trouble labelling myself anything. maybe 'invisible' would be the best label. i also really like 'adapter'. i have always wished for invisibility as a super power anyway :3

one more thing i do identify with the word peaceful though, rather than peacemaker...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the lifestyle of Type 9 reflects the archetype it was given. More so, than their action (or rather inaction). Type 9's want comfort, routine, security. I think that the consensus of that is harmony and peace. Nothing too chaotic or risky. That's my take on it though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve experienced what you mention above from my now ex wife who was a 9. I’m a type 3 so being active and applying pressure to my environment is the norm for me, I didn’t understand how hard this was for a 9 to handle.. eventually she shut down and pulled away for years and obviously avoided conflict, as did I since as a 3 I can be out of touch with emotions for other reasons. Her neglect and distance really put me in a very dark place as I couldn’t understand.. in my mind if things were bad I thought conflict would exist.. in the end she hung around for a long time putting forth very little effort to anything and eventually left and blamed me for basically everything and trying to control her when I was just trying to get her to participate in her and our life . She is unable to see how harmful the pulling away was and that some of my pressures on her were a result of this loneliness I was feeling. Do 9s ever own up and understand how harmful this behavior is to others? I feel like she will never even give it a second look to attempt to understand, she just left and now will merge with someone else.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts