Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning my schedule for next year and in my last semester(spring next year) I have to take one more math class to complete a math major. I have a list of "electives" and I talked to some people but the advice I got was "all math is great!"

I have choice of things like: real analysis, abstract algebra, combinatorics, and linear math(linear algebra on steroids is the gist I get with it). Understanding a mathematician's mind is going to be really useful especially in theory and going after something like a PhD in physics, but right now I want to focus on something that'll be directly applicable to my physics major.

The math classes I've taken so far are: all calc, linear algebra, ordinary DiffEQ, complex analysis, vector analysis(a class dedicated to integrals). Going to be taking a proof based class fall semester along with partial DiffEQ and then an unknown class my spring semester, but it's one of those electives. I really don't know what to to choose because all of those classes seem to go on the side of theoretical and I'm not sure the applicability of them.

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,678 Posts
Real Analysis is the traditional name of math majors' primary proof class. I thought all math majors had to take either it or something very similar to it.

Your class history has a very calculus focus to it. What are your goals? A lot of modern tech -- especially in the computing field -- requires an understanding of discrete math to work with it. What about classes like predicate calculus, naive set theory, or relations?

Reactions: Nightmaker81

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Real Analysis is the traditional name of math majors' primary proof class. I thought all math majors had to take either it or something very similar to it.

Your class history has a very calculus focus to it. What are your goals? A lot of modern tech -- especially in the computing field -- requires an understanding of discrete math to work with it. What about classes like predicate calculus, naive set theory, or relations?
Naw, I'm an applied math major. It's nice because applied math goes hand in hand with physics/physical science and is not as proof based/theoretical, but at the same time makes you take more math classes than I would with a traditional physics degree.

Pretty much I took up the applied math major because I started taking math classes to advance my knowledge for physics grad school, my adviser told me that I was getting a math minor without even knowing it, I then looked into it and the leap to a applied math major was very easy. So in terms of that I'm just trying to figure out my last math class to take that'll supplement me, fufill my elective requirements, and finish my math degree.

I think Linear Math has the most application, especially since eigenvalues/eigenvectors have such important value in math in general, but I feel the others hold value in terms of quantum mechanics/statistical mechanics and all that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.