Personality Cafe banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
As an INTJ, I can only relate to Sheldon Cooper a little. His need for order to the point of OCD is somewhat annoying and would be over- bearing to an INTJ who spends most of their time in their broody, secluded world pondering how the world might be a better place if only ___. Sheldon Cooper sees himself as superior and does not even try to understand the people around him which is VERY unlike INTJ. Also, his lack of going within is very unlike an INTJ.
However, the way he communicates and his robotic nature are somewhat understandable. He may be an over-exaggerated INTJ at best. A cartoonish expression of the genius that invokes the INTJ mind.

·
Registered
546 Posts
He's Te to the most extreme. He cares less about social conventions and just does everything Sheldon-y which is very Ni.

Yeah he's not a great representation of any type, and like the above post said he's really just a cartoonish expression. But definitely of an INTJ.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Wtf is an "inferior Fe meltdown"? Is this something that IxTPs do cause in that case I'm an INFP.
In regards to Sheldon- constantly seeking external validation from other people. Cares heavily about his image and what other people think of him. Extremely whiny and immature when he's challenged. Even if he doesn't like or care about people in the conventional sense, he still yearns for approval and praise. A Te user will view their real-world accomplishments as an evaluation of their worth. Sheldon defers to the opinions of others for his worth.

[HR][/HR]
His having Asberger's/OCD has never been canon so I'm going to ignore the consideration for argument's sake. I've never understood the argument for INTJ. Dude's Si use is painful. And it's very awkward and primitive in the way a partially-developed lower function would be. Always has to sit in the same exact spot with the chair in exactly this position relative to the window with the room temperature exactly this many degrees below this etc. An ISxJ's Si use is going to more nuanced. It's not going to be this obsessive.

Also bounding with Ne. Quote:

Leonard: You'll never guess what just happened.
Sheldon: You went out in the hallway, stumbled into an inter-dimensional portal, which brought you 5,000 years into the future, where you took advantage of the advanced technology to build a time machine, and now you're back, to bring us all with you to the year 7010, where we are transported to work at the think-a-torium by telepathically controlled flying dolphins?
Leonard: No. Penny kissed me.
Sheldon: Who would ever guess that?
Overall not a long-term planner devoting his time to one thing. He loves discussing different ideas, theories, and things he thinks up on a whim. I could even see an argument for Ne-dom if his feeling function wasn't so obviously inferior.

Example of Ti:

Sheldon: You bought me a present? Why would you do such a thing? I know you think you're being generous, but the foundation of gift giving is reciprocity. You haven't given me a gift, you've given me an obligation. The essence of the custom is that I now have to go out and purchase for you a gift of commensurate value and representing the same perceived level of friendship as that represented by the gift you've given me. Ah, it's no wonder suicide rates skyrocket this time of year. Oh, I brought this on myself by being such an endearing and important part of your life...
Constantly analyzing everything, including, as quoted here, the behaviors of other people.

Penny: I give up. He's impossible.
Sheldon: I can't be impossible; I exist. I think what you meant to say is, 'I give up; he's improbable'.
Ti. Strives for clarification and focuses on what a Te user would deem a trivial technicality.

·
Registered
546 Posts
In regards to Sheldon- constantly seeking external validation from other people. Cares heavily about his image and what other people think of him. Extremely whiny and immature when he's challenged. Even if he doesn't like or care about people in the conventional sense, he still yearns for approval and praise. A Te user will view their real-world accomplishments as an evaluation of their worth. Sheldon defers to the opinions of others for his worth.
What? That's like the exact opposite of INTP. Seems like an ISTJ argument if anything.

·
Registered
472 Posts
@Shorty Levi
That's like the exact opposite of INTP.
Exactly. Hence inferior Fe meltdown.

The reference to Te was to illustrate that Sheldon uses Fe by contrast.

·
Registered
546 Posts
@Shorty Levi

Exactly. Hence inferior Fe meltdown.

The reference to Te was to illustrate that Sheldon uses Fe by contrast.
This is why typing people by lower stack functions is a joke. If something contrasts with their type you can just claim "well that's their teritiary X or inferior Y". Is there any data showing INTP are more prone to meltdowns? I would hypothesize IxTP probably are the least prone to them due to internalizing with Ti dom.

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
This is why typing people by lower stack functions is a joke. If something contrasts with their type you can just claim "well that's their teritiary X or inferior Y". Is there any data showing INTP are more prone to meltdowns? I would hypothesize IxTP probably are the least prone to them due to internalizing with Ti dom.
So you're saying those are not inferior Fe things?
You think him being an INTJ explains them?

And who said INTPs are more prone to meltdowns?

·
Registered
546 Posts
So you're saying those are not inferior Fe things?
You think him being an INTJ explains them?
No, he's just a weird character with a bunch of quirks added to an already unbelievable personality. That's just Sheldon being Sheldon really. I don't think it tilts him in the direction of either INTP, INTJ, or ISTJ.
And who said INTPs are more prone to meltdowns?
If his "inferior Fe meltdowns" are presented as an argument for being INTP over IxTJ then obviously that's the implication. If it's not why even bother bringing it up?

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
No, he's just a weird character with a bunch of quirks added to an already unbelievable personality. That's just Sheldon being Sheldon really. I don't think it tilts him in the direction of either INTP, INTJ, or ISTJ.

If his "inferior Fe meltdowns" are presented as an argument for being INTP over IxTJ then obviously that's the implication. If it's not why even bother bringing it up?
He's exaggerated,yes,but not completely unbelievable.He actually fits INTP very well,as well as a character can fit any type.

How would an INTJ have inferior Fe meltdowns when INTJ doesn't even have Fe?

·
Registered
546 Posts
He's exaggerated,yes,but not completely unbelievable.He actually fits INTP very well,as well as a character can fit any type.
The core of his personality is an exaggerated neurotic INTJ (RLOEI). He's way too rigid to be associated with any Perceiving type.

But there's just a lot of weirdness added on top to make him not really resemble any type.
How would an INTJ have inferior Fe meltdowns when INTJ doesn't even have Fe?
I'm not the one attaching "inferior Fe" to the "meltdown". That was someone else's phrase. I just look at them as meltdowns which aren't indicative of any type.

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
@Shorty Levi,but it's not any meltdowns,it's inferior Fe meltdowns.

And that's not core of his personality.Look at Alpha quadra in socionics and add lots of deep seated insecurity and desire for love and approval combined with arrogance from being born objectively "superior" to most people(intelligence-wise).That's imo the core of his personality.
The quirks on top of that are just Asperger's but they definitely go with Si too.

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
RLOEI?
How does this fit him?
withdrawn, loner, moody, dislikes crowds, avoidant, not big on fun, socially unskilled, not that interested in others, overwhelmed by unpleasant feelings frequently, depressed, requires lots of time alone to recharge, socially awkward, hard to get to know, feels defective, averse to change, low self confidence, dislikes small talk, dislikes touchy feely types, private, not prone to complimenting others, driven by own personal gain, pessimistic, self absorbed, indifferent to the feelings of others, does not easily forgive, inflexible, skeptical, embarrassed easily, tense, lower energy level, attracted to things associated with sadness, very suspicious of others, does not believe in human goodness, interested in intellectual pursuits, does not put the welfare of others ahead of self, lonely, not known for generosity, unadventurous, doubting, quick to judge others, discontent, hard to understand, wounded at the core, believes in a logical answer for everything, worrying, uncooperative, agnostic/atheist tendencies, has anxiety, not physically affectionate with most people, feels second place is not good enough, frustrated when people don't live up to expectations
Ok,parts really fit him but is that really the best deacription of his core?
Even he called himself "playful" at least once,he comes up with crazy ideas he has to share with everybody,comes up with games,tries to do things to make his environment fun and pleasant(him being bad at it doesn't matter),is very close to being an extrovert,not a huge pessimist or cynic,generally happy and enthusiastic,likes adventures or at least the idea of them,likes and needs attention

·
Registered
377 Posts
The core of his personality is an exaggerated neurotic INTJ (RLOEI). He's way too rigid to be associated with any Perceiving type.

But there's just a lot of weirdness added on top to make him not really resemble any type.

I'm not the one attaching "inferior Fe" to the "meltdown". That was someone else's phrase. I just look at them as meltdowns which aren't indicative of any type.
Taking a J vs P approach he probably would come out as a J type. But functionally, he's INTP. There's very little irrationality to Sheldon's thought process - he knows what he thinks, and he'll happily explain his reasoning in depth all day long. Those are not INTJ traits.

But I agree that he's a larger than life character, and typing fictional characters is an imprecise job at the best of times!

81 - 100 of 121 Posts