Personality Cafe banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
@Shorty Levi,but it's not any meltdowns,it's inferior Fe meltdowns.
Define an "inferior Fe meltdown" and provide an argument that this particular kind of meltdown is something that is found in INTP and ISTP, but not INTJ and ISTJ.
And that's not core of his personality.Look at Alpha quadra in socionics
I wish I understood the theory behind socionics better :(
and add lots of deep seated insecurity and desire for love and approval combined with
arrogance from being born objectively "superior" to most people(intelligence-wise).That's imo the core of his personality.
That seems more of a Te thing.
The quirks on top of that are just Asperger's but they definitely go with Si too.
Supposedly he doesn't have Asperger's but that may just be a politically correct thing to say, so dunno what to say about that. But his quirks don't seem like Si quirks. My understanding of Si is that it is kind of like the opposite of quirky, internalizing what already is which tends to lead to more conventional behavior. And supposedly healthy INTP are supposed to develop that to balance Ne but his quirks aren't balancing anything.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
He very clearly has Asperger's.

I don't watch the show, so I can't give more info than that. I tried watching it once and hated it immediately. Didn't get past the first episode. My sensor friends think it's hilarious though :/ they wouldn't stop talking about it a few years ago when it was really popular.

Edit:

Okay, I just endured one of those "best of" videos. *shudders*

My impressions are that he's a 5w4 Te preferrer INTJ. With Aspergers, of course.

The Ti confusion stems from the fact that he's a type 5. So he has really strange and obscure interests that have no practical purpose. It's pretty non-INTJ, stereotypically speaking, but it is type five enneagram. And you can see the Te preference in his dialogue with others. He's right, and he won't take any arguments from you because he knows he right. Because he's using objective logic. If he preferred subjective logic (particularly with Ne), he would want to consider all points to something before making any conclusions about anything. Sheldon never does this. He uses objective logic and comes to conclusions very quickly. And he is very confident about his rightness because of his objective sources of knowledge that back him up. He forms personal values quite easily--forming attachments to certain philosophers or super hero characters or whatever the case may be. He doesn't react well when his values are called into question or challenged. It doesn't seem very Fe to me. Even Fe inferior. Actually, it seems Fi to me.

I'm not sure where the Si confusion stems from. Maybe the Aspergers makes you think non-intuitive. But, again, if you listen to his dialogue, he shows a strong preference for viewing the world through a lens of his subjective intuitive impressions. He sees a ball pit and thinks carbon atoms. He picks up on metaphorical speak from his roommate really quickly and extends the metaphor with ease, coming to its logical conclusions. He hears the Super Mario Bros theme song and relates it to the phychological work done by Ebbinghaus. His intuitive connections are what most of his speech are based on. He's written to be a dominant introverted intuitive. Whether he acts like one or not, that is what his speech conveys of his brain patterns. Also his anal-retentiveness and linear stream of thought are in line with type five and Aspergers. I actually struggle to see how he could be an ISTJ or ESTJ. He shows a clear preference for Ni in what he picks up on about the world. It's not in-line with an Si preference.

The show has lots of Ne humor, so this could also play into the confusion about his type. But the Ne humor comes from others, not from Cooper.

When he is trying to determine the source of his side ache (which seems super S inferior), he goes to an objective source to look up his symptoms. Although, he doesn't seem to narrow them down easily. This is bad writing, I would argue. The writers thought this added comedic effect. The obvious answer, to me, was that he had appendicitis. He didn't even reach that conclusion somehow. Anyway, turned out to be just gas. That is super S inferior hypochondriac. So out of touch with your body and environment that any minor disturbance of it that jolts you back to reality seems frightful and treacherous at first. They of course hyped this up for another atrocity of comedy.

Again, his aversion to physical contact goes perfectly with an Se inferior preference.

Reactions: AdInfinitum

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
Ok you guys,I'm not home right now so my internet sucks and I can't watch your video @emberfly or give my examples,but I know he is not INTJ.There's no doubt in my mind.He has no Ni whatsoever,he has no Te or Fi,he is Ti-Ne-Si-Fe,he sees things through "What makes sense to me?" lens,obsessed with accuracy and things being the way that feels logical rather than effectiveness (for example that impossible/improbable thing,would Ni/Te really care as long as the message is delivered??And there's million examples like that)

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Taking a J vs P approach he probably would come out as a J type. But functionally, he's INTP. There's very little irrationality to Sheldon's thought process - he knows what he thinks, and he'll happily explain his reasoning in depth all day long. Those are not INTJ traits.
I completely agree with you that those are not stereotypical INTJ traits. They are pretty typical type 5 traits, however. I wonder what your opinion would be of my post above ^

But I agree that he's a larger than life character, and typing fictional characters is an imprecise job at the best of times!
I completely agree with you here, too. His character is super exaggerated and weird. Not a spitting image of any ISTJ, INTP, INTJ I've ever met.

The core of his personality is an exaggerated neurotic INTJ (RLOEI). He's way too rigid to be associated with any Perceiving type.

But there's just a lot of weirdness added on top to make him not really resemble any type.
I agree with this, too.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
He's an ISTJ. They often get mistaken for INTPs, but the difference is that ISTJs enjoy working. Just don't ask me what the difference is between INTJs and ISTPs because I get those mixed up all the time.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Sheldon is literally a caricature of an INTP. His inferior Fe meltdowns are pretty much textbook definitions of what it looks like to be an ITP.
Yep, at least in terms of INTP. I am not so sure that ISTP inferior Fe meltdowns a -quite- like this. Se lends a physical intensity and presence, I think.

What? That's like the exact opposite of INTP. Seems like an ISTJ argument if anything.
No, it would be a terrible argument for ISTJ. You are thinking in stereotypes, and, apparently, private ones. The onus is on you to support your perceptions. For example, justifying how ISTJ of all types would be focused on external validation. The ISTJ stereotype that comes to mind is of the paper-pushing bureaucratic cog. You are pleading with them through that little hole in the glass and they barely look up at you before saying "NEXT!" That's when you tell them they are obsessed with external validation... before taking a number and sitting down.

I think that IxTJ would be the types who least concern themselves with external validation. If you are a Game of Thrones fan, think Eddard Stark and Stannis.

Sheldon Cooper, INTJ?!

The Joker is also probably not an INTJ, but an absurd psychopathic ENTP. Not that such a typing would be useful, but anyway he isn't an example of an INTJ. You are probably triggering on the mastermind stereotype for INTJ, which isn't really accurate.

Taking a J vs P approach he probably would come out as a J type. But functionally, he's INTP. There's very little irrationality to Sheldon's thought process - he knows what he thinks, and he'll happily explain his reasoning in depth all day long. Those are not INTJ traits.

But I agree that he's a larger than life character, and typing fictional characters is an imprecise job at the best of times!
Excellent thought... he is indeed primarily focused on rational thought, of an abstract and subjective quality, and thus cannot be reasonably seen as an Pi-dom. He is a Ti-dom.

Define an "inferior Fe meltdown" and provide an argument that this particular kind of meltdown is something that is found in INTP and ISTP, but not INTJ and ISTJ.

I wish I understood the theory behind socionics better :(

That seems more of a Te thing.

Supposedly he doesn't have Asperger's but that may just be a politically correct thing to say, so dunno what to say about that. But his quirks don't seem like Si quirks. My understanding of Si is that it is kind of like the opposite of quirky, internalizing what already is which tends to lead to more conventional behavior. And supposedly healthy INTP are supposed to develop that to balance Ne but his quirks aren't balancing anything.
Imagine an Fe type, now make it inferior / compulsive / characterized with stress and generally more immature and infantile. That would be an Fe inferior outburst. By definition.

He's an ISTJ. They often get mistaken for INTPs, but the difference is that ISTJs enjoy working. Just don't ask me what the difference is between INTJs and ISTPs because I get those mixed up all the time.

I am an INTP. Hi. I am basically never not working... and by working I mean thinking. Sometimes thinking requires whiteboards.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yep, at least in terms of INTP. I am not so sure that ISTP inferior Fe meltdowns a -quite- like this. Se lends a physical intensity and presence, I think.

No, it would be a terrible argument for ISTJ. You are thinking in stereotypes, and, apparently, private ones. The onus is on you to support your perceptions. For example, justifying how ISTJ of all types would be focused on external validation. The ISTJ stereotype that comes to mind is of the paper-pushing bureaucratic cog. You are pleading with them through that little hole in the glass and they barely look up at you before saying "NEXT!" That's when you tell them they are obsessed with external validation... before taking a number and sitting down.

I think that IxTJ would be the types who least concern themselves with external validation. If you are a Game of Thrones fan, think Eddard Stark and Stannis.

The Joker is also probably not an INTJ, but an absurd psychopathic ENTP. Not that such a typing would be useful, but anyway he isn't an example of an INTJ. You are probably triggering on the mastermind stereotype for INTJ, which isn't really accurate.

Excellent thought... he is indeed primarily focused on rational thought, of an abstract and subjective quality, and thus cannot be reasonably seen as an Pi-dom. He is a Ti-dom.

Imagine an Fe type, now make it inferior / compulsive / characterized with stress and generally more immature and infantile. That would be an Fe inferior outburst. By definition.

I am an INTP. Hi. I am basically never not working... and by working I mean thinking. Sometimes thinking requires whiteboards.

Now where did I say joker was an INTJ? I posted a video of Joker laughing, because that's what I am doing. Laughing at the thought of Sheldon being anywhere near an INTJ.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Well then, maybe I'm an INFP.

Or maybe Sheldon's an ISTP because intuitive types believe in psychics. I literally went to see on today.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Well then, maybe I'm an INFP.

Or maybe Sheldon's an ISTP because intuitive types believe in psychics. I literally went to see on today.
I'd argue the opposite. If you put some oil and food coloring together and put it in a nice bottle and go out and tell people it is some crazy formula that, though quite expensive, will make your car run faster and use less gas.... would you say that chemists and mechanics are going to be more or less inclined to believe it?

I'd say dramatically less.

Thus, since psychics are unquestionably charlatans, it would stand to reason that those least impressed with their chicanery are the ones with the most natural affinity or insight into those things.

From my perspective, it is Si that is most responsible for psychics - with highly subjective and impressionistic sensations imbued with a high level of natural credulity. The natural superstitions - the burning of witches - etc, all presuppose that the populace did indeed believe they were witches, for example. The man on the pulpit decrying their dark power and the people gasping in the crowd were not iNtuitives, and yet they were and are the BELIEVERS, and there seems to be as many different idiosyncrasies of belief as there are Si people... which fits with what Jung said of them.

Actually, the most famous and outspoken debunker of psychics is James Randi, who is an INTP:

Indeed, it appears that ENTJ and INTP form the vanguard of mystical skepticism. Led by RATIONAL THOUGHT and bolstered by a strong discerning intuitive perception. The ol' one-two punch of debunkery.

It makes sense that you'd think that sensors would be the skeptics, and it is often true of Se-doms.. but, no, on the whole it appears to not be the case. Si (especially Si Feelers) is the worst offender, though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sheldon seems xSTJ to me. Classic case of Fe PoLR, similar to Albert Rosenfeld. Strong Sensing. Overflowing and valued Si. He's great at dealing with practical tasks and his own body. He's very aware of these things. He's also clearly Te, giving facts to others about tomatoes and stairsteps, etc.

I'd argue the opposite. If you put some oil and food coloring together and put it in a nice bottle and go out and tell people it is some crazy formula that, though quite expensive, will make your car run faster and use less gas.... would you say that chemists and mechanics are going to be more or less inclined to believe it?

I'd say dramatically less.

Thus, since psychics are unquestionably charlatans, it would stand to reason that those least impressed with their chicanery are the ones with the most natural affinity or insight into those things.

From my perspective, it is Si that is most responsible for psychics - with highly subjective and impressionistic sensations imbued with a high level of natural credulity. The natural superstitions - the burning of witches - etc, all presuppose that the populace did indeed believe they were witches, for example. The man on the pulpit decrying their dark power and the people gasping in the crowd were not iNtuitives, and yet they were and are the BELIEVERS, and there seems to be as many different idiosyncrasies of belief as there are Si people... which fits with what Jung said of them.

Actually, the most famous and outspoken debunker of psychics is James Randi, who is an INTP:

Indeed, it appears that ENTJ and INTP form the vanguard of mystical skepticism. Led by RATIONAL THOUGHT and bolstered by a strong discerning intuitive perception. The ol' one-two punch of debunkery.

It makes sense that you'd think that sensors would be the skeptics, and it is often true of Se-doms.. but, no, on the whole it appears to not be the case. Si (especially Si Feelers) is the worst offender, though.
Ni seems to be the function that's always associated with mysticism. No idea where you're getting Si from. And what makes you say the "believers" you speak of were not intuitives? Or that Randis is INTP?
Also, discernment seems to me more like a rational (T/F) thing than a S/N thing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I always saw him as an ISTJ, I don't really have evidence supporting that, but he always gave me those vibes
Yeah I see tons of Si and Te in him. And I always saw him as a classic case of Fe PoLR (which would make him IXTJ). But I also see him as a rational type (which would make him EXXJ or IXXP. So ESTJ is a rational type, ISTJ is an irrational type). So I'm kind of sitting between ISTJ and ESTJ. Another thing is that he seems to be very much a 'teacher role' kind of person, which Delta STs (xSTJs) are supposed to be known for.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
When I first saw him typed an INTP on Funky MBTI I was like ''Wait, whaaaaat??? Sheldon is so anal, he's most J-ish type that ever J'd''. But when you look at him being IxTJ, it makes no sense. Sheldon is undoubtedly Ne. He loves to make weird connections between things randomly out of nowhere, he discusses theoreticals in fictional works all the time and loves spitballing as to how they would play out in the real world. ISTJs would NEVER do that. They would probably find it stupid and pointless. You'd have to effectively get them really drunk or stoned for them to discuss what they would do if The Walking Dead became real.

He essentially has Ti and Si on steroids and that makes sense because both those functions look for mental consistency, just in different realms. Obviously it's exaggerated in his case for comedic effect, but in reality it does explain why INTPs are often seen as the most J-ish of P types. Think of the roommate agreement or the bathroom schedule. Neither of those would make sense to even the most hardcore ISTJ who needs everything organized, but it's just going WAY OUT THERE for things that don't require this level energy. Like, just take a piss when you need to, duh! Change roommates if you don't like the one you have, double duh! But due to Sheldon's need to satisfy his Ti/Si needs, his Ne deems those totally justifiable

Then of course there's his Inferior Fe which is the source of many jokes on the show. One minute looking for validation, the next, belittling people and barely being aware of it. Emotional meltdowns, being whiny, overdramitic etc. He has that stereotypical ''All I said is you're stupid, why are you reacting so negatively to it?'' schtick you do actually see in real life from IxTPs. He actually questions people about social protocol, which IxTJs definitely know, they just hate it because of Fe blindspot. And like other people have mentioned in this thread, TJs are usually satisfied with themselves through accomplishments and competence, they don't need outside affirmation, just happen to love it when you tell them are they are effective (validates their lower Fi). Hate to agree with CS Joseph here, but Te users are indeed all about credentials. To be fair, Sheldon does look down on Howard for just being an engineer, but that's because in his Ti mind, it makes him a lesser intellectual. Otherwise he's all about being seen as an intelligent person. He doesn't need to remind people he's a theoretical physicist at Cal tech for that.

·
Registered
ENTP 7w8
62 Posts
When I first saw him typed an INTP on Funky MBTI I was like ''Wait, whaaaaat??? Sheldon is so anal, he's most J-ish type that ever J'd''. But when you look at him being IxTJ, it makes no sense. Sheldon is undoubtedly Ne. He loves to make weird connections between things randomly out of nowhere, he discusses theoreticals in fictional works all the time and loves spitballing as to how they would play out in the real world. ISTJs would NEVER do that. They would probably find it stupid and pointless. You'd have to effectively get them really drunk or stoned for them to discuss what they would do if The Walking Dead became real.

He essentially has Ti and Si on steroids and that makes sense because both those functions look for mental consistency, just in different realms. Obviously it's exaggerated in his case for comedic effect, but in reality it does explain why INTPs are often seen as the most J-ish of P types. Think of the roommate agreement or the bathroom schedule. Neither of those would make sense to even the most hardcore ISTJ who needs everything organized, but it's just going WAY OUT THERE for things that don't require this level energy. Like, just take a piss when you need to, duh! Change roommates if you don't like the one you have, double duh! But due to Sheldon's need to satisfy his Ti/Si needs, his Ne deems those totally justifiable

Then of course there's his Inferior Fe which is the source of many jokes on the show. One minute looking for validation, the next, belittling people and barely being aware of it. Emotional meltdowns, being whiny, overdramitic etc. He has that stereotypical ''All I said is you're stupid, why are you reacting so negatively to it?'' schtick you do actually see in real life from IxTPs. He actually questions people about social protocol, which IxTJs definitely know, they just hate it because of Fe blindspot. And like other people have mentioned in this thread, TJs are usually satisfied with themselves through accomplishments and competence, they don't need outside affirmation, just happen to love it when you tell them are they are effective (validates their lower Fi). Hate to agree with CS Joseph here, but Te users are indeed all about credentials. To be fair, Sheldon does look down on Howard for just being an engineer, but that's because in his Ti mind, it makes him a lesser intellectual. Otherwise he's all about being seen as an intelligent person. He doesn't need to remind people he's a theoretical physicist at Cal tech for that.
That's a really convincing argument that I've never thought of. I mean, I always thought Sheldon was INTJ and didn't really think much more of it. I never thought he could be an ISTJ because, as you said, "he discusses theoreticals in fictional works all the time and loves spitballing as to how they would play out in the real world. ISTJs would NEVER do that. They would probably find it stupid and pointless. You'd have to effectively get them really drunk or stoned for them to discuss what they would do if The Walking Dead became real." And I guess I just stopped at the assumption that he must then be an INTJ because, well, he must be a J right?

But actually, you have definitely convinced me that he's an INTP. Right now. I just did a full 180. But of course though! That explains all the Ne that seemed out of place for an INTJ. And, it is 100% falling into a stereotype trap to think Sheldon is a J just because he's so structured and rigid. Actually, being structured to such a degree could easily be an INTP thing, if said INTP decided that was their way of living life. Ti is about a personal logic framework, and being so extremely structured is part of Sheldon's logic. I don't think he's structured because he needs to be. I think he's structured not because he is, but because he decided to be.

So now I say he's an INTP

·
Registered
153 Posts
If he's INTP then he would have Fe Suggestive. He doesn't seem very receptive to Fe, in my opinion. Whereas ISTJs, they have Ne Suggestive, so they're receptive to Ne matters, though they are very weak at it. He wants a student, someone who's gonna learn from his Te facts and lessons. Like a typical Delta ST.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
IxTJs understand people and emotions, but more often than not are unaffected by it. It's like ''This event caused that person to feel this, end of story.'' They sure as hell don't want to be the ones who have to give them hugs and kisses to make them feel better unless they absolutely need to in which case it's Te fixing a problem. Otherwise they see everyone as being responsible for coping and managing their emotional states.

Sheldon seems legit curious about bout human behavior and emotions, whilst pretending to have none himself (Typical of Fe inferior). He wants to know when people are being sarcastic, he notices people's emotional shifts and wonders out loud why, he questions what empathy is and is eager to practice it, he'll sometimes wonder about social protocol, he has his own ''warm tea'' ritual when he sees someone is down, he expects unreasonable favors from his entourage just because they're his friends because he thinks that's how it works, he sees when he offended someone but has to ask other people the reason why and how to fix it. It's all extroverted and he kinda sucks at it.

These are all things IxTJs grasp, but usually don't care or aren't affected by them the way Sheldon would.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts