Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I continue to hear of social decline in our world and in particular societies: the breakdown of families, moral values, globalization, you name it.

I'm not nearly as pessimistic.

First of all, there is greater democracy and freedom in the world today than in past centuries. Slavery of an outright nature has diminished. People are also better connected culturally. There are problems with globalization, but societies are starting to deal with the effects of that. There are still social problems and inequalities in the world, there are still problems with modern society, but socially and politically, I think of people being better off.

Secondly, if there is a God in the world, is he less caring about one century compared to another? Does he just allow problems to get worse? or is he always the same caring God that he was?

Better or worse? Where is the world going?

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
I continue to hear of social decline in our world and in particular societies: the breakdown of families, moral values, globalization, you name it.

First of all, there is greater democracy and freedom in the world today than in past centuries. Slavery of an outright nature has diminished. People are also better connected culturally. There are problems with globalization, but societies are starting to deal with the effects of that. There are still social problems and inequalities in the world, there are still problems with modern society, but socially and politically, I think of people being better off.

Secondly, if there is a God in the world, is he less caring about one century compared to another? Does he just allow problems to get worse? or is he always the same caring God that he was?

"Democracies" are rapidly turning into Police States that favor corporations. Slavery is alive and kicking. Things will get worse, MUCH worse, before they get any better.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If society collapse I wouldn't care, or care as much. Although people living in urban settings will probably suffer the most compared to rural areas. I think it'd be fun in a way, everyone fighting for their own survival. Everyone will just revert back to where before humans developed government and various complex hierarchies, living as nomads or hunter and gather. Hmm that sounds like a movie.

·
Registered
622 Posts
If society collapse I wouldn't care, or care as much. Although people living in urban settings will probably suffer the most compared to rural areas. I think it'd be fun in a way, everyone fighting for their own survival. Everyone will just revert back to where before humans developed government and various complex hierarchies, living as nomads or hunter and gather. Hmm that sounds like a movie.
I don't want to say I'm going to enjoy seeing you hungry, scared, and running from gangs of men that will take their turn raping every orifice of your body, before bludgoening you to death with a rock, cutting you up in pieces, cooking and eating you.

...fun times ^_^

On the account of society however...

I think a natural equilibrium exists and tends to instate itself. It is true that large corporations and government are PUSHING for a method of control, because they fear their institution will be threatened. In the same sence, they are pioneering their own destruction, because revolution is easy for a nation that no longer tolerates it's bonds.

As with everything, there is tolerance that mediates. The right push on the wrong button will institute, or destroy said governance, be it international or domestic.

I like what china is doing...they are bringing the illuminati meat grinder to a halt, and the cold war arms race is hotter than ever.
...like a virus...spreading and populating in small pockets worldwide, and little is it known, but as resources go, china IS authority.

So whilst the globalizers bicker over control, I sit back and enjoy my trivial thoughts..
...and I take comfort in knowing my end with be either horrifying or quick...

...but most importantly..
entertaining :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't want to say I'm going to enjoy seeing you hungry, scared, and running from gangs of men that will take their turn raping every orifice of your body, before bludgoening you to death with a rock, cutting you up in pieces, cooking and eating you.

...fun times ^_^

I think a natural equilibrium exists and tends to instate itself. It is true that large corporations and government are PUSHING for a method of control, because they fear their institution will be threatened. In the same sence, they are pioneering their own destruction, because revolution is easy for a nation that no longer tolerates it's bonds.

As with everything, there is tolerance that mediates. The right push on the wrong button will institute, or destroy said governance, be it international or domestic.

I like what china is doing...they are bringing the illuminati meat grinder to a halt, and the cold war arms race is hotter than ever.
...like a virus...spreading and populating in small pockets worldwide, and little is it known, but as resources go, china IS authority.

So whilst the globalizers bicker over control, I sit back and enjoy my trivial thoughts..

Oh yes that sounds like fun...I'm not afraid of dying so whatever. What I'm saying is, after all that raping and killing stuff is over, man will likely to revert back to being farmers and/or hunters and gathers and the cycle of civilization starts again.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

The grass is always greener eh? I agree, the society we live in is probably one of the most accepting ones, EVER. However, the thing I don't like about this generation, is we live in the information age, where we are turning into sloths who sit around all day absorbing lots and lots of information. Eventually we are all going to evolve into Krang from the teenage mutant ninja turtles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The grass is always greener eh? I agree, the society we live in is probably one of the most accepting ones, EVER. However, the thing I don't like about this generation, is we live in the information age, where we are turning into sloths who sit around all day absorbing lots and lots of information. Eventually we are all going to evolve into Krang from the teenage mutant ninja turtles.

I would hate for the dear children of the emerging generation to destroy themselves this way.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Oh yes that sounds like fun...I'm not afraid of dying so whatever. What I'm saying is, after all that raping and killing stuff is over, man will likely to revert back to being farmers and/or hunters and gathers and the cycle of civilization starts again.
I take it' you haven't had the prospect of a nullifying darkness, or the concept of everlasting life, everlasting torture, or being re-incarnated as a pompious asshole cross your mind yet?

And I'm not talking suicide...I'm talking waking up as paramedics instruct you to sit perfectly still, as they try and cut your mangled body out of a car, where your dear friend next to you is missing a third of his upper torso, and the guy that was driving the other car stares back at you blankly, his body now white, and his jaw well dislocated.

Oh, anyways, yeah I also hope that after civilisation ends we might strive to re-enstate something like the Venus Project have been talking about.

Going back to the medi-evil times, one had to have a trade, passed down by generation.
We are entirely helpless for the most part.

Allthough...a nice notion.
...indeed.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Advancing technology is my main concern. I do not think it will destroy us, I think it will only make things better. I actively detest anyone who tries to stop technology from advancing, for religious reasons (fear of 'playing god') or anything else. We should play god. Nature doesn't always know best. Nature's pretty brutal. Technology is the equalizer. Now if only we could get out of this goddamn recession...

So yeah, I think society is getting better. I hope we don't go back to being farmers or hunter/gatherers. I've known some people who think that would be nice (or something like abandoning technology and going straight back to natural living), I think it'd be hell.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
We had it much much worse in the past. Things always get better, even when it seems otherwise :p.

·
Banned
5,434 Posts
It changes all the time. Think of the roaring 20s vs. the great depression. It's all ebb and flow. As far as whether or not it's more or less accepting than it used to be, I think it's both. Case in point, Uber conservative religious fundamentalists, vs left wing free loving bleeding heart liberal hippies. These stereotypes have always existed in one form or another, but I think now it's easier to see the effect they have on society with things like media and popular culture.

Whether or not society is on the verge of collapse, I would say no. Not even close. It's probably a lot closer now than it was before, and now we have outside factors (meaning other countries) that could, should they choose to, really fuck us over here in the u.s. Any country with nukes and a nutcase dictator is always going to keep us on our toes, and the whole we're madly in debt to china and they basically "own" this country thing are mostly what people like to go on about. Also, the whole gvt matrix thing that we all live in... But that's almost always been there.

·
Banned
5,434 Posts
I hope we don't go back to being farmers or hunter/gatherers. I've known some people who think that would be nice (or something like abandoning technology and going straight back to natural living), I think it'd be hell.
i think they might start feeling differently about that when they have to wake up before the crack of dawn every morning and work all through the day farming and gathering just to get by. being a farmer is hard, back breaking work. those people have an unrealistic idea of what it would be like.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Don't know if better or worse, depends on how one looks at it I guess...

I think people are more "rational" nowadays. They're not strong believers like before, everything has to make sense.

God hasn't forgotten about us, we pushed him away because of religious views. God is supposed to be loving, not how religions make him seem. However people try to understand more nowadays and maybe they are more open minded then before but at the same time things have to make sense for us to believe them, where before it didn't seem to be that way. I think I'm repeating myself here. :)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
...fun times ^_^

Although I agree with some of your outlook, I don't think humanity as a whole would become so utterly depraved (see bold). Sure there would be a very small minority of people who would act like that, but I think law and order (Or something of the sort) would soon be restored after the few small groups of people who would act like that come to larger attention and soon vigilante justice would put an end to them and their spree. Since people already have a sense of what society is, the hunter/gathering stage would be short lived in my opinion. People would band together and work on restoring a new society after they have had their fill of life devoid of law. People would group up, become tribes, become villages, become towns, and so on and so forth. After living in what is relative order compared to the past, MOST people wouldn't go insane with freedom and go on a murder and rape spree. I don't have much faith in humans, but I think in a crisis they can come together and be able to restart. I don't know if they'll learn from their past mistakes, hell they'll probably make the same ones after a couple of generations have passed and they forget history to an extent like all societies do, but I mean look at the Native American societies or even the modern day nomadic Mongols. They're society is not as structured as others and yet they had (or have) little to no crime within the small tribes. As most others have said, it's all cycles and when one society falls, another will rise.

As for me, I actually would like a world that is based on hunting/gathering/farming. Something about the freedom and back to nature ethos I really enjoy. So I kinda agree with @NoelleShanice. I don't want to deal with many people and rather be independent for the most part except for a close knit of family and friends. Those are some reasons for my choice for that society. I don't mind authority so much, well I'll take that back. I don't care so much for authority. I just understand the necessity of it. It's just that some people go crazy with it and become overbearing. Social contracts and all that...

EDIT: This may be one of my few posts where I show a little hope in humanity. I do believe we would be able to survive and rebuild, but to make it cynical, I don't think we will learn a lesson from it all. We never seem too. Also until order is restored after a societal collapse there will be the very small minority of people, as said earlier, that will relish in being able to go on a spree of wickedness while they have the chance. Yet I also maintain most will just try to survive, like many do now even with governments in power. Some may see this as their chance to recreate their vision of a perfect and moralistic world. Who knows? There are so many variables. Especially concerning people.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
There has been a marked increase of "Us VS Them" over the last 20-25 years.
I hypothesize two reasons for this.
The fall of the Soviet Union. Communists lost their main springboard and thus began to infiltrate less extreme leftist groups and pull them further left.
And...
The internet. I am certain everybody having an opinion and publishing it does not need to be explained any further.
But I will because I am certain someone is going to take offense at me suggesting their lefty views are becoming more extreme. If I can piss someone off halfway around the world for having an opinion that differs from theirs then it's no wonder the perceived gap between us and them would get more intense.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
There has been a marked increase of "Us VS Them" over the last 20-25 years.
I hypothesize two reasons for this.
The fall of the Soviet Union. Communists lost their main springboard and thus began to infiltrate less extreme leftist groups and pull them further left.
And...
The internet. I am certain everybody having an opinion and publishing it does not need to be explained any further.
But I will because I am certain someone is going to take offense at me suggesting their lefty views are becoming more extreme. If I can piss someone off halfway around the world for having an opinion that differs from theirs then it's no wonder the perceived gap between us and them would get more intense.
I'd say the opposite, especially in America, which is getting more conservative. The only reason you see so many liberal views on the internet is because the internet is populated heavily by young people, who tend to be far more liberal than old people.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts