Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Santa Clause just harmless? Does the excitement he brings children overpower the fact that he is indeed fictional? Some state that the window in our lives for believing in magic is so short that it should be embraced while possible.

Meanwhile others, even celebrities like Brad Pitt and Kristen Bell, have been coming out to say they feel uncomfortable telling their kids that there is a Santa. Not only do they feel like they are lying, but also setting their children up for future disappointment. It is sometimes cited as beginning a series of trust issues, which can be carried through to adulthood.

Do the pros outweigh the cons? Is Santa Clause just a fun part of childhood? Are those who feel psychologically affected in the minority? Or are we actually duping children harmfully and unnecessarily?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Honestly, I don't believe there is a unifiable answer to this question. It depends on each child's psyche, independently. No one can know for sure what social and environmental factors will have what effect on a developing mind. Some grow up in an abusive household and become agressors themselves, while some may experience a similar childhood and become defenders. There are far, far too many variables to consider in any given moment that can influence how a mind develops.

Personally, I loath disingenuousness, so I'd rather avoid perpetuating a false idol. I certainly wasn't upset or disappointed when realized Santa isn't real, but I did feel the need to set the record straight for those who weren't yet aware of the truth. And as far as I'm concerned, there is no practical benefit to keeping the idea of Santa Claus alive. I'm split between INFP and INTP, so I tend to weigh my opinions equally between subjective values and subjective logic.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I have never had a single person tell me they were traumatized to find out Santa was a story, unless another child used it to bully them. Santa is as real as love is. It’s a concept, the personification of generosity. Humans have told myths to teach lessons since prior to recorded history. I doubt Brad Pitt is smarter than the collective wisdom of our species.

Most kids figure it out on their own by the time they are about 8 and say goodbye to their imaginary friends.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'd rather just have kids question adults on their bullshit, either in a direct rebellious way, or covertly go about their own pursuits of truth. It's not like adults/parents do this to children to harm them. They aren't perfect. That's okay.

I stayed up until midnight next to the Christmas tree waiting. Then I told my parents nobody came. I concluded that my dad was "Santa". It was a little annoying to be told that. Along with the whole stork birth story and the birds and the bees. I developed a desire to pursue knowledge of my own accord and not rely on my parents for information. It was kinda funny when parents or other people would talk to me as if I didn't know what they were hinting at to me.

"I'll tell you when you're older." Worse statement to hear, everrrrr.

But if children straight accept and believe everything they hear and then are updated on the falsehood of the stories told to them, that can be a little disappointing. There may be some opportunity for psychological shock, but I doubt it really harms kids.

I did get to take some deer feed of sorts and feed it to caribou? Or some other reindeer looking mofkers. That was awesome. So fuck Santa. Rudolph is where it's at.

·
Registered
INFP
7 Posts
When it comes to fictional characters, they are typically in the fiction section of the bookstore, in TV and cartoons, etc. So while kids typically fantasize about and imagine the characters, they instinctively know through the unspoken but agreed upon conventions that these characters are not real. Fantasy is a healthy way to explore their own fears, desires, likes, and dislikes about themselves and others around them, and you can see that with how they relate to different characters.

Now, historically, there were many fictive characters made up by parents in all parts of the world to scare their children into doing things, and these horrifying characters typically have distinctive bodily mutations and are violent in nature. The line between fact and fiction is blurred in these cases, as these figures are represented as real. The parents may scare their children out of pure intentions but end up traumatizing them, even if the trauma isn't visible. Santa, on the other hand, seems to be a good character that encourages children to be good and gives them happy and festive vibes. There's also the tooth fairy in some cultures, but I find it harmless since it isn't necessarily associated with good or evil.

I personally feel that a child living a healthy and safe childhood wouldn't be affected by the knowledge that Santa isn't real when the time comes; if anything, they probably already know it. Children are intelligent and can process the fact that Santa is just a regular person or even a relative in a costume. I think the problem would be if a child somehow creates an unhealthy image or obsession with Santa, normally due to problems at home or school. Then to tell that child that this idol or source of goodness doesn't exist can affect them deeply. However, to say that a child with a relatively healthy childhood would be severely distressed by Santa not existing would be to underestimate the intelligence of children. They understand more than adults expect them to; adults treating children like they are stupid is the real issue. It's possible that the parent's own obsession with Santa and how cute their child is for believing in him, makes the child feel that believing in Santa makes them cute, which allows them the opportunity to receive more attention from their parents.

·
Banned
972 Posts
Wrong in what way morally or factually, there is very little to be gained for a person that you are reinforcing delusions, it maybe a fun in short-term, in long-term it may result in them believing in whole ridicolous nonsense that has no grounding in reality.Of course, there is a probably a decent there won't be any substantial damage to such individual (at least not more that people on average already are). I for an example quickly saw that whole Santa thing was a bullshit as a kid, altough I doubt most people would like to raise their children to be me. :laughing:

If you ask me don't bother with whole thing, you will save a lot of money on not reinfocing fiction, better teach your kids that if they want get something in life they will have to figure it out how to get it because unlikely it will be given to them. If parents taught that lesson to kids we wouldn't have so many entitled and narcissistic millennials acting like a lunatics.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Funny story about me and Santa my parents had to tell me the real story after my dad tried to convince me that Santa made a tv for my mom. It was getting too expensive.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
If you ask me don't bother with whole thing, you will save a lot of money on not reinfocing fiction, better teach your kids that if they want get something in life they will have to figure it out how to get it because unlikely it will be given to them. If parents taught that lesson to kids we wouldn't have so many entitled and narcissistic millennials acting like a lunatics.
So, so much wrong with this. Have you ever taken a child psychology course in your life?

·
Banned
972 Posts
So, so much wrong with this. Have you ever taken a child psychology course in your life?
Saying something is wrong isn't an argument (you need to elaborate), and nope It would be tremendous waste of time that could be spend on learning something more useful, especially given failures of modern education.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Saying something is wrong isn't an argument (you need to elaborate), and nope It would be tremendous waste of time that could be spend on learning something more useful, especially given failures of modern education.
I’m responding to your statement that children need to be taught to work for what they want. For young children it’s essential that they trust adults to provide for all their needs. The idea of caring for yourself is introduced gradually over a couple decades in an age appropriate way.

Your statement about millennials is misguided.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
If I had kids there would be no Santa. I think modern society is corrupt. I would much rather raise children with eight days of Hannukah which included no magical creature and an impetus to give to charity for older children. Hanukkah seems more ethical than American Christmas.

Barring Hanukkah I would make my own holiday. I think a season surrounded by greed and lies is horrifying.

Reactions: Eren Jaegerbomb

·
Banned
972 Posts
I’m responding to your statement that children need to be taught to work for what they want. For young children it’s essential that they trust adults to provide for all their needs. The idea of caring for yourself is introduced gradually over a couple decades in an age appropriate way.

Your statement about millennials is misguided.

It's essential for what reason exactly?Said approach to parrenting doesn't seem to be working quite well, given increase narcissistic traits (granted there could be other factors such as social media) and support of censorship among millennials when compared to other generations, at least in countries that encouraged independence and free thinkers (in a relative sense).

Is it tho, given apart from above millennials tend to have high unemploment and continiue living with their parents?You may blame part of it some temporary or present economical downfalls in some of the countries, but given situation in some of them is fairly stable and manageable and fact said generation didn't seem to improve years later. Such as purse of useless degrees that won't pay off loans by getting well-paid jobs and well known sense of entitlement expecting employer to cater to them like to children.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
I have. And I do think American Christmas is awful.

At Hanukkah children too young to understand are given chocolate gelt. At an appropriate age they're taught to give.

American Christmas is a greed fest. Small children don't care if you get them presents from the Dollar Tree. It's later childhood that has created American narcissists.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Is Santa Clause just harmless? Does the excitement he brings children overpower the fact that he is indeed fictional? Some state that the window in our lives for believing in magic is so short that it should be embraced while possible.

Meanwhile others, even celebrities like Brad Pitt and Kristen Bell, have been coming out to say they feel uncomfortable telling their kids that there is a Santa. Not only do they feel like they are lying, but also setting their children up for future disappointment. It is sometimes cited as beginning a series of trust issues, which can be carried through to adulthood.

Do the pros outweigh the cons? Is Santa Clause just a fun part of childhood? Are those who feel psychologically affected in the minority? Or are we actually duping children harmfully and unnecessarily?
Never grew up being told Santa was 'real'. Maybe because we didn't have a chimney in our first home. :) I DID get told the tooth fairy was real and my parents played along until I was 8. It was funny looking back on it, and kind of cute.

I don't think it's wrong, it's just some things parents do. I don't think there needs to be a big 'Come to Jesus' moment about it. It's not a devastating thing...you're still getting presents on Christmas whether Santa or your parents provide them. ;-]

What I don't like is the 'be good for Santa/elf on the shelf/easter bunny' stuff. No, be good because it's the right thing to do (and because I'm telling you to behave), not for some third party. I'm the parent lol! So, I wouldn't have a fictional character stand in for me, but beyond that I see no problems.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't understand the discomfort behind myths and stories. My considerations would be to treat them no different than stories, neither encouraging a belief nor a disbelief, but allowing the children to make their own decisions. Blatantly refusing to acknowledge the idea of Santa Clause, when every December he's dominating the scene, just seems nonsensical.

I remember being told the story of Helios, God of the sun, as a child, who drove his chariot across the skies dusk and dawn; and every day for a week I would dash outside and gaze at the sky hoping to see this fellow in handsome purple robes racing across the horizon. Needless to say, I never saw him, and that's OK -- maybe one day I will -- but there is no harm in sharing the stories.

Never have I heard a case of someone being psychologically distraught due to the realisation a jolly fat man doesn't climb down the chimney to deliver a few gifts, eat half a cookie and sip some milk, then dash away on a sleigh with a bunch of flying reindeer.

Reactions: Blue Flower

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
NO! All these snot nose brats need a reality check, there's no Santa or Tooth-fairy, Daddy paid for that gotdamn Microsoft Playstation Switch, you're gonna die, and life is about paying taxes til you're blue in the face. No get off my lawn *shotgun cocked*!

·
Banned
7,754 Posts
Nooooo!

It's not wrong, it's right right right!!! What is childhood...what is LIFE without imagination? And believing in a bit of magic?

And when one learns the truth eventually, it's still up to perspective - it doesn't have to suddenly mean the world is untrustworthy, it can mean, 'wow, look how powerful the mind is, look at the wonders of belief.'

·
Banned
972 Posts
Nooooo!

It's not wrong, it's right right right!!! What is childhood...what is LIFE without imagination? And believing in a bit of magic?

And when one learns the truth eventually, it's still up to perspective - it doesn't have to suddenly mean the world is untrustworthy, it can mean, 'wow, look how powerful the mind is, look at the wonders of belief.'
I think you are mistaking imagination with a belief, I would know given I always had too much of the former and very little of the latter.

Actually, it would mean that people that feed you with such nonsense were fairly untrustworthy. It's simple manipulation, feeding someone with lies in order to achieve desired by you effect.I mean it may a lesson for someone to not trust others or at least people that feed them with it, is it a good lesson to learn, maybe.
@Nell
I would love to hear such reasoning in court.

"Hey, I didn't lie when I said I didn't killed them, it was wicked human nature that did, not I!"

Not to mention, lesson here sucks. Giving for sake of giving, sounds like a way to end being taken advantage of, it's better to learn to give only when there is a high chance of such investment returning and never give something that you are unwilling to lose.

·
Banned
7,754 Posts
The desire you are trying to achieve is not some malicious thing, though. The desire is to see someone's eyes light up, to bring joy and happiness. Not everything is done with upmost perfect morality. What a dull, rigid world that would be.
I think you are mistaking imagination with a belief, I would know given I always had too much of the former and very little of the latter.

Actually, it would mean that people that feed you with such nonsense were fairly untrustworthy. It's simple manipulation, feeding someone with lies in order to achieve desired by you effect.I mean it may a lesson for someone to not trust others or at least people that feed them with it, is it a good lesson to learn, maybe.
@Nell
I would love to hear such reasoning in court.

"Hey, I didn't lie when I said I didn't killed them, it was wicked human nature that did, not I!"

Not to mention, lesson here sucks. Giving for sake of giving, sounds like a way to end being taken advantage of, it's better to learn to give only when there is a high chance of such investment returning and never give something that you are unwilling to lose.
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 64 Posts