Personality Cafe banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Father Christmas/Santa Claus/Saint Nicholas is an amalgamation of several religious myths and traditions into one, as is Christmas itself. It is easier to convert nonbelievers if you roll up their holidays into your own.
Well there is no doubt that the traditions of different old beliefs ended up wrapped up together. But I don't believe it was ever a planned "conspiracy". Likely as some people turned one direction, some kept the old traditions and they ended up being mixed over time. Plus, don't forget about commercialization. Retailers love kids expecting gifts from "Santa" as well as from parents.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,865 Posts
Well there is no doubt that the traditions of different old beliefs ended up wrapped up together. But I don't believe it was ever a planned "conspiracy". Likely as some people turned one direction, some kept the old traditions and they ended up being mixed over time. Plus, don't forget about commercialization. Retailers love kids expecting gifts from "Santa" as well as from parents.
I'm pretty sure it was intentional. All of the major Christian holidays are on or around pagan ones. It makes it far easier to convert new followers. Our days of the week are all nods to the sun, moon, Roman and Norse gods. Our months are mostly Roman names.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Actually, monks evangelizing Christianity in Europe from from Italy discussed EXACTLY that in their letters with the Church. It was extremely difficult to convince people to give up one religion and their holidays for another. I don't know that "conspiracy" is the word for it. But yes, they absolutely tried to overlay Christianity onto pagan religions in Europe.

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
Ive never really believed in Santa Claus- but it sure was fun to talk about Santa , bake him cookies, and write letters to him .
My mom used to give my aunt the keys to our apartment to hide gifts under our Christmas tree for me when I was younger - while she took me out to dinner and when we came back home , gifts were left beneath our Christmas tree I would play along and pretend to believe that it was Santa even though I knew very well that he wasn’t a real figure . I remembered entering the second grade and my mother told me “ you’re 7 now and you still believe in Santa Claus.”
I told her” I never did . “
My grandmother laughed and said “ Come on now if she questioned God existence , what makes you think she believes in Santa .”

Anyways some of my best memories with my mother was writing letters to Santa - sending it to the North Pole - going out to Christmas in the Park to take pictures with Santa- listening to Christmas carols and opening the presents that Santa ( my mom) gave me and in a way - Santa is real - except he was a woman (my loving enfj mother who lives for my happiness. ) I don’t resent her one bit - if anything I love her more for letting me embrace my imagination

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 64 of 64 Posts