Personality Cafe banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,526 Posts
From my observations, various types have shown negative reactions to the change and most of the reactions are a combination of both understanding but also a need for improvement. Not type related. This is based on personal preferences (not MBTI related). There is no trend that supports a certain type was more or less accepting of this change. It would be better if a poll was set up (if they even improved the options to increase the number of choices able to select) in order to gather more evidence that it would have been type related (it's not, the result would be a majority vote of a mix of negative/positive reaction with various types selecting this choice).

I’m getting used to the change. My first reaction was a gut feeling that the user base would decline even more now than before, because the MBTI forum details that so many people have enjoyed are now gone (perhaps temporarily or forever). Such as the type under the name (which I see you can get around of and have it show up in another way), the last post/user to catch attention to the different threads, the comforting feel and expectation of getting where you want to be with a click of a mouse. When I saw the change with paid membership, I didn’t really care so much that it existed (since I don’t expect anybody to give me anything free anyway), but that also led me to believe that content would be less accessible and therefore, a piece of the core of these forums would go along with it. I could care less about the visuals, what color the font is, what size the avatars are, but that’s just me personally. I just wanted to preserve a place where everybody felt like they could still belong and come together to discuss like minded (or non like minded things). That’s the thing though, my personal preference has no bearing on whether the site (or world) will go on. It will and it shall. So we either adapt or leave the situation. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it was very hard work for the people who pushed this change through and complaining only is like a slap in their face, in a way. I can see that the admins are trying to help users out with adjusting to the changes too. So anyway, like it or not, this is the new look of Perc now. If we choose to stay, we should move forward. Honestly, I still think user base will decrease but I’ll probably be around until this forum officially dies.

·
Registered
Why do you want to know my vehicle details.
4,926 Posts
YES!!! Finally emojis you can actually use without destroying the whole layout of your post! :D
I also think this updated was just necassary a long time ago. This forum was stuck in 2010 or something. It got slower and slower. Less and less popular. I wasn't here for years and only recently joined again and while it was fun and nostalgic, it was also horrible. Especially the slowness! It also either lacked a lot of things that popular social media had or it was very hidden. Usable emojis, rankings, top posts, popularity algorythms, top posters, a good search engine... yes, I know some of these thigns were always there, but either a) hidden, b) super slow or c) boring to use.

While the current state isn't perfect, now there are much more options to keep on track.

But I do understand that some people will really miss the nostalgic feeling. It was an old, warm, caring café before. And now it's modern, white, shiny, trendy. That's a huge change, yes. But I love it.
Well the refresh is good. Especially the speed updates and restoring the search functionality. As far as things I'd like to see brought back are the Arcade section, MORE TROPHIES and make assigning likes fun again like with the gold points system. From what I've read the forum used to have a lot of game aspects to it, which made posting and liking posts a lot more fun. An updated Arcade forum would be cool too, but I can understand if that may bring up some legal problems and/or bandwidth issues. I'd mainly want the arcade, more trophies and the gaming gold points system.

Trying to make the forum "great again" would be a step backwards, but bringing back the fun and more personalized aspects like the arcade, gold points system and the moods would make posting here much more enjoyable. Setting a mood that you're "Serious" makes it easier to convey that you're not in a joking mood. Anyway, I might go suggest that in the suggestions thread about the forum refresh.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
There are way too many variables (besides type) related to how change affects a person to really gauge how much type plays a part.

For example, change that affects security (such as a person's job security) will generally be more stressful than someone's favorite TV show changing. If someone has nothing going on in her life besides video games, a change to the game will probably be more upsetting to her than it will be for people who have other hobbies as well as friends, jobs, etc. to occupy themselves with. Change is less troublesome when there are alternatives that allow one to bypass the change. Etc. etc.

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well the refresh is good. Especially the speed updates and restoring the search functionality. As far as things I'd like to see brought back are the Arcade section, MORE TROPHIES and make assigning likes fun again like with the gold points system. From what I've read the forum used to have a lot of game aspects to it, which made posting and liking posts a lot more fun. An updated Arcade forum would be cool too, but I can understand if that may bring up some legal problems and/or bandwidth issues. I'd mainly want the arcade, more trophies and the gaming gold points system.

Trying to make the forum "great again" would be a step backwards, but bringing back the fun and more personalized aspects like the arcade, gold points system and the moods would make posting here much more enjoyable. Setting a mood that you're "Serious" makes it easier to convey that you're not in a joking mood. Anyway, I might go suggest that in the suggestions thread about the forum refresh.
We had an arcade section???? o_O

·
Registered
779 Posts
I agree with @Bunniculla in that I don't think it's entirely type related. People of all types seem to be complaining and I think, in spite of the stereotypes to push 'dislike of change' onto SJ types, it's a common function of the majority of human beings. I have to say it's surprised me by just how irate a lot of people have got over this.

My personal view is influenced by the fact that I found the old version to be close to unusable. It'd become so buggy and slow for me, it was too much hassle to post. Change (or some sort of upgrade) has been needed for some time as it just wasn't working.

The old site had its own set of quirks and idiosyncrasies, and the same applies to the new one. There are lots of tweaks that need to be made, and right now we've got people on the forum inviting feedback so these can be incorporated. I think that's a pretty good position for us to be in, because, if there's a way to change things which don't quite work here, we have a chance to be able to do so.

I'm hopeful that the irritants like not having the same functionality in signatures and the thing I really don't like - the drop down boxes for the sub forums on the main page (just show the forums, latest posts etc) - will be altered. But at the same time, I much prefer the way you can respond to a post (and the saving/preview elements), an actual useable search function and the alerts I think work better too. It's also easier to add photos too.

Ok, so we're probably all going to have to manually add our personality types again, but I'm ok with the anonymity of that for now, and the 'Vehicle' box (which really, just rename it "Type" and have done) functions well enough. But it is what it is. It's happened, we just have to adapt or decide it's not for us. Maybe some people will leave, but maybe other people will join or rejoin. I don't see why in the grand scheme of things it will make a massive difference to the number of members.

·
Registered
Why do you want to know my vehicle details.
4,926 Posts
We had an arcade section???? o_O
Yeah, @Maybe told people in a thread in the Entertainment section a long time ago that it exists and even has leaderboards and trophies associated with the games. I think that would be awesome to bring back, even as a Premium Feature.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
This is not just an aesthetic change

Its a step to save their revenue

Something had to be done. They were averaging a few hundred active users a day as opposed to several thousand a day when I first joined.

However I am not in love with all the changes.

I am fine with that they added more sub sections to ensure more clicks to ensure more payments for ad trafficking. I am fine with that they added a link to link FB & Google.

But I do not think they did aesthetically change it to something better. The other actual format was more aesthetically simplistic and less an eye sore.

I can adapt to change just fine in the long run. But I will say I deal with rapid change in my everyday life as far as work and life changes. So it was nice to have the comfort of something familiar before.

Change is fine. But change making sense is better. Some of the change was required but some was not.

They are definitely rebranding rather than just remarketing
Notice all our MBTI signs removed off side (Nevermind I see it just requires I fill everything in again)

I had to log in on my computer could not even see any of this on my phone

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
No it’s not type related- my annoyance with the change is due to not being able to find post I started/created - they’re all deleted or disappeared somewhere lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
996 Posts
I just don't care too much, don't know if that has anything do with being INTP or what. It seems you would have to have a lot invested into the site to be dissatisfied with the changes, I don't post very often so it makes little difference to me.

I don't post as often because it just seems many people just use typology to stroke their own egos,"oh that's why I'm superior than those other types" or wallow in self pity, "that's why I have this problem, it's because of my type". I read so much bullshit disinformation on this site, typology is suppose to be about acknowledging other cognitive perspectives than your own as valid, not this superiority bullshit.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
It certainly made my worklaptop seem a lot older than it actually is. It is 10 months old!
The new layout, with zero ad-blocks, no script-blocks combined with MS Edge… it is lagging the laptop to shit!

The "2010"-layout had a simplistic appeal. Easy to navigate on a PC. It didn't crash in MS Edge. Userfriendlyness took a hit.

Got no issues with change unless it impacts the user interface and experience negative.

·
Registered
ENTJ 8w9
1,652 Posts
Ironic. It is quite obvious your post(s) are biased "blinded" by Si - but sure, this bizarre aversion and hypersensitivity (and drawing up irrelevant 'comfort scenarios' to reference discomfort with change) while simultaneously paying attention to non-essential/yet trivial details, as well is not just some (Si) thing. :ROFLMAO:
I'm an ENTJ, and some changes are good (I like the dark theme, I like the new emojis), while others are not (I dislike that almost all the information on the left hand side is gone and a lot of my previous settings are also gone, I liked having my rank there, plus... I liked having the option of the European flag in there, I thought it was a very nice touch, especially since I see myself as first and foremost European). But the settings' change are the biggest annoyance... I had established my order and someone messed with it. 🙂

But that's where we differ, because now I did not notice at first (but now aware of trivial details of change) that have no effect on my like of the website in the grand scheme of things - which is different from willful ignorance, but have adapted i.e. accepted noticeable trivial changes while still managing to see the merit in the opposing, instead of pulled back with painful aversion (and rejection) which is most common among Si-users in a general sense, which would be more apparent with a little introspection.
I guess it depends on how often you visit the site... I noticed it immediately and my first thought was: did I enter the correct address? But yes, this also happens to me, to miss some changes. I once didn't notice for 2 weeks that my flat mate removed a Christmas tree filled with lights and stuff... I did get a sense immediately that something was off, but then though meh... whatever and only after 2 weeks did I put my finger on it.

Yeah, the "Si-Te/Te-Si" combo loves driving; but only ever in reverse based of their certainty "informed" by the success of 'it ain't broke, don't fix it' mentalities .. while simultaneously ignoring that the unbroken pristine "glass" they aim to preserve and protect sits ON an unstable and weak foundation. Had the website not be upgraded/changed - it would've ceased to exist with the forever transforming technological world; the change was done to prevent the breakage (N) - not to preserve the already perfect glass (S).
I'm also a follower of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but also our national trademark mentality "let it be, it works that way" This refers to improvised things that are not sustainable in the long run, but if they work here and now? Fuck it! Whatever! It works! Other peoples completely replace broken things, we tape them together or if there is something non-critical missing... we just leave it this way. Attention to detail and long term planning are things we don't have patience for, but we have exceptional improvisation and resilience to hardship skills.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts