Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems so confusing and I'm not even sure if it's superior to MBTI. it even seems to be used less.
I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort to try and figure it out, if nothing else I know I'd mostly just be going by what this forum thinks I am.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
Knowing my trifix really helped me understand my self easier. I think knowing the system is equally as important as knowing your type. My first test I got 3w2, 1w9, 5w6 and it described me PERFECTLY. You don't really need a test to figure out which you're most like if you think about it hard enough.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Generally speaking, I prefer the MBTI.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
It seems so confusing and I'm not even sure if it's superior to MBTI. it even seems to be used less.
I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort to try and figure it out, if nothing else I know I'd mostly just be going by what this forum thinks I am.
I initially dismissed it, then found some information that helped shed light on my life and a primary relationship, so I shifted my perspetive some.

I suggest not trying to figure out if it is superior or not to MBTI. That's like asking if a hammer is superior to a saw. They are about different things. I suggest seeing if the enneagram helps clarify anything about your life, and if not, don't worry about it unless/until it might be of use to you.

Here's an example of a IMO excellent use of the enneagram to increase clarity (interesting to me since my beloved is a 9):

Type 9: Down the Rabbit Hole

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I see all systems in which people have identified stereotypical trends to be useful. Not only can I learn about my own tendencies, but about others'. Admittedly, I am only now really learning and getting into the Enneagram though.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
The enneagram is a type system made of 9 core fears that create a behavioral coping mechanism that each type impulsively uses to deal with the world. So yes, it is "worth" it in the sense that it is a valid set of predictive behaviors. You will relate to your core fears when you read about them because they are unconsciously motivating you at almost all times. I should caution that enneagram theory is not "happy" like MBTI - when you truly discover your motives it may be painful.

As would be the case for MBTI, I recommend not following basic type descriptions. They sugarcoat the classical theory and distort the types in a way that makes it more difficult to pinpoint your own. Additionally, ignore tritype until you are sure of your core type, as it is more useful for advanced levels of enneagram study than beginning. These are a better place to begin:

Type 1
Type 2
Type 3
Type 4

Type 5
Type 6
Type 7
Type 8
Type 9

I have really cut back on Jung and all but stopped using MBTI after having learned about the enneagram. They aren't "inferior" systems, but they don't speak as profoundly on motivation. Generally speaking, MBTI and JCFs are about very general personality traits and informational intake and processing - more the "output," and what you see or hear. The enneagram is about more fundamental drives, and therefore more of an origin to behavior - more about the mechanisms and actual programming.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
They measure rather different things, but there can be a few potential vague correlations between the systems.

Enneagram honestly seems to get at something I think a lot more people would really more directly link with struggles they've had, but that is partly because struggles an MBTI type has generally come from misunderstandings with others caused by different types, whereas enneagram types can mark conflicts one has had even with oneself. Now the thing is a lot of this is because the MBTI types weren't meant to be necessarily about neurotic individuals. They inherently were there to help people understand their differences, and possibly deal with struggles (e.g. a N dominant struggling with sensation). But on some level, an N-dom who is not too polarized on the N-S axis is not going to struggle too badly with S. OTOH socionics is pretty much developed so that the functions that get neglected can be supplied by other types, and explores the logistics of how this works out with different types.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Enneagram is definitely a system worth learning about. You shouldn't compare your enneagram type to your mbti or socionics type, they explain different aspects of your psych. What enneagram does is explain your core motivation, fears etc., which mbti does not explain.

I probably introspected more with enneagram than other systems, and benefited more.

·
Banned
710 Posts
Personally i think the enneagram is far more rewarding than mbti. The enneagram is about digging deep within yourself; introspecting to work through your problematic habits that are holding you back. It's really more of a journey in the sense that you WILL make breakthroughs and grow if you keep at it.

Mbti is more of a descriptive system, its purely about sorting how you deal with factual and emotional information. People seem to think of their mbti like a badge or medal: "im an enfp therefore im so great because X and X!"

Honestly whenever i try to look at the mbti forums im immediately repulsed. The threads here are generally about working through problems, whereas there it seems to be more about self-congratulating just for being born a certain type. (In my opinion... :p )

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have no clue about what MBTI is, so if someone would be so kind to give me a "MBTI for beginners" link, I'd be very grateful.

Back in topic, Enneagram is not the only answer and it's not a conclusive answer. It can be an incredibly powerful starting point for who wants to break his chains.

In my experience, it helped a lot.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I knew about MBTI for years before I understood enneagram. For some reason I just couldn't wrap my head around it at first, and wasn't that interested. But a good friend, who is also a Psych major, learned about it and kept encouraging me to do the same. I finally bit the bullet and did my research. I figured out my type and a lot of doors opened up for me. It helps explain things that MBTI doesn't really address, since MBTI is more about how we process information, make decisions and interact with the world on a cognitive level. But enneagram goes deeper into self-image, fears, values, common tendencies.

Also, aside from better understanding things about myself, I was able to learn more about other people and other ways of thinking and being. I can find myself trying to adopt behaviors of other types, which I know conflict with my natural inclinations, because I can be a more well-rounded person that way. That makes it different than MBTI; I can try to be more positive and fun-oriented like a Seven, for example. But I can't really force myself into using Ti (I mean, I can try, but it's a lot harder and probably not as useful for me as better developing my own cognitive functions would be).

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
Put simply, MBTI is how our minds process the world around us, and in what order, while the enneagram is what our fixations or drives are and why we feel the way we do. The two typologies compliment eachother, and are separate entities. There is incredible depth to both in their own way, and whichever one you choose, if you neglect the other you are missing half the picture.

Definitely worth while.

Reactions: Herp and wk05

·
MOTM January 2013
10,621 Posts
Both MBTI and 'E' have their uses. I prefer not to pit them against each other, there's little point really until you have a deep understanding of both theories. I use what they can offer and discard the rest.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have no clue about what MBTI is, so if someone would be so kind to give me a "MBTI for beginners" link, I'd be very grateful.
I don't know anything about it too, I don't even know where to start. I'd also appreciate some introduction.

The Enneagram focus more on getting to know what are the motivations for your actions, why do you behave in a particular way. It is a powerful tool for personal growth, I think my life has been improving a lot since I started reading about it in depth.

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
I don't know anything about it too, I don't even know where to start. I'd also appreciate some introduction.
I don't know how to do two post quotes in the same response. If you go to the very top of the page you will see icons in the top left. The black test tube on the far right you can click to take both the 16 type quiz and the cognitive function quiz.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Yes, if you want to really know yourself with motivations and all, the Enneagram is worth it. However, there is something to be said for how much does personal growth mean to you. If it means little then you may not care to dig down the rabbit hole.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I took the test, I don't know how accurate it came out as. a lot of questions I wanted to select more than one answer.
But apparently I'm a 4w5, 7w6, 1w9.

But I'll still fill out the questionnaire thing later and see what you guys think.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts