Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thrust ed into an intense emotional state when hearing certain songs, I find myself retreating inter my inner garden of dreamy thoughts (space-cadet). Violins & some orchestra music impact me profoundly. I have always wondered why that was. I am very old school when it comes to things. I love hand made instruments. A jack of all trades & an ace in none that secretly worships things that can't breathe. What instruments have you drifting into the realms of your psyche? Just curious
[/I]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYwUVSUd3Ko Andrew Bird must be an INFP.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I can't speak for others but often I have a preference for moody, gloomy and thoughtful music.

I listen a lot to artists like Moby, Secret Garden, Enigma and Dead can Dance. Much of that is less than cheerful. Its not casual music either, it requires attentiveness to be able to enjoy it fully.

I have this theory that such music somehow resonates with my brainwaves and so carries them along to higher places.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think all kinds of people will have their moods affected by music if they let it happen. But even more so, I think people seek out music that reinforces their current emotions. Or the other way around, whichever you believe came first.

Violins have good potential for merging with certain moods, but most of the time I find the lyrics to be just as strong as the rest of the tune.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Almost anything can wisk me away depending on the song. Electric guitars and drums will wisk me away rather easily...emotional lyrics can do it easily too.

Rock, Rock and more rock of nearly any variety. I even love to listen to Japanese music (Jpop/Jrock) of most variety as loserish as it sounds .-. They can convey emotions really well--even if you're unable to understand the language. It doesn't have to be depressing.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I would say that most INFPs (especially type 4) are attracted to the melancholic. People used to tell me all the time that the music I listened to made them sad. It made me feel understood.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I would say that most INFPs (especially type 4) are attracted to the melancholic. People used to tell me all the time that the music I listened to made them sad. It made me feel understood.
I think that's a good way of explaining our attraction to melancholy. It does make me feel like I'm not alone in my sadness...plus it's sort of like a cathartic experience every time I listen to a song, I get to release some anxiety in the process.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I like some melancholy/depressing music but most of the stuff I listen to is aggressive and upbeat.
Led Zeppelin and Rage Against the Machine are my two favorite bands.

The closest I come to melancholy is like Fleetwood Mac or Elton John. And they're not really melancholic... lol.
And On Melancholy Hill by The Gorillaz, for obvious reasons :laughing:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I tent to go towards more happy, chill, relaxing and fun but still with meaning music.

But I also do certainly love the sadder stuff.

I love instrumental music, both modern and classic. I'd say that at least half of my massive collection is comprised of instrumental tunes...Vivaldi, Mozart, Dvorak to Howard shore, john Williams, two steps from hell and the american dollar.

what I don't like is angry music. yikes

as far as your question...I really like a violin and cello combo

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would say that Im attracted to melancholy sounding music, I dunno, I guess Ive always liked seeing the beauty in something tragic. The instruments that tap into my inner sanctum would have to be piano, chello, and violin. Though Im also aware that I occasionally get taken in by stranger things like xylophones.

I would also say that I enjoy orchestral music alot. I probably have more of that than anything else on my music player. I just love being able to let my mind drift off and create my own story and meaning to the song.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I just absolutely love synths. You create a wave, then you paint with it; with other instruments the waves has been pre-made. But I also seem to be affected by orchestral instruments. And synth pads...

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I really love intgrospective, gloomy, dark songs. I think those songs are more "true" and speaks to the heart than most songs that are mostly happy.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,344 Posts
While I occasionally like some music that's more wistfull and contemplative or sad sounding, I don't usually enjoy that. I like things that sound grand an awe-inspiring, or laid-back and happy.

I'm very drawn to orchestral music, particularly strings, but I don't like violins all by themselves - which usuallly have very dramatic solo parts it seems (I pretty much hate all violin concertos). I definately don't like depressing violin music its really draining to me.

If I'm going to listen to something that sounds sad I think piano would be my choice. A couple examples of the kind of minor/wistfull music I like is Chopin's Nocturn #19 in E minor, and Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto. I also love the Moonlight Sonata, but found when I was learning to play it that you can really make it sound more sad or more just peacefull. As a child I hated all minor key music. Now I appreciate the beauty of it's bitter-sweetness, but I still usually prefer major keys.

Some good examples of the type of music I'm most drawn to are Tchaikovsky Ballets and Beethoven Symphonies. Or soundtrack-wise the Harry Potter ones, Alexander, Pirates of the Carribean, Stardust, Ever After, Peter Pan, Treasure Planet.
For happy laid back songs
Carribean Blue and Wild Child - Enya, Fantasy on a Bagpipe - Richard Searles, Isfahan - E.S. Posthumus, Ancestor's Voice and Awaya Baka - Baka Beyond

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
While i enjoy music that spans the whole emotional palette, i am more drawn towards music that's melancholy, volatile or subject to heavy mood swings.

I don't find it depressing, though. While a very sad movie can totally ruin my mood for the rest of the night, music always seems to have a comforting effect on me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts