Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so if you were to give directions to a person on how to do something, how would you do it? Would you physically show someone how to do something? Draw them a picture? Give them oral directions? How would you do it.

I am an ENFP, and I would either physically show someone how to do something or draw them a picture. I almost never give just plain oral directions.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm a fan of giving people oral directions. :tongue:

Seriously though, it depends. If I'm teaching someone how to play drums I show them what to play, play it along with them, and then give them the written music for their at-home study. If I'm working on a car, for example, I want the person to be able to follow oral instructions or I might as well just do the task myself.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Heh. I'm not good at telling someone how to do something, especially if the other person isn't a fast learner. If I have to, I physically show them how it's done.

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
ENTP, I'm a shower.

Unless you mean when it comes to driving... then I forget I'm giving directions and at the last minute say "OH, SHIT, YOUR TURN THERE!" as my friend slams on breaks because he thought I was going to say something more along the lines of "OH, SHIT, ZOMBIES!". :3

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
ENTP, I'm a shower.

Unless you mean when it comes to driving... then I forget I'm giving directions and at the last minute say "OH, SHIT, YOUR TURN THERE!" as my friend slams on breaks because he thought I was going to say something more along the lines of "OH, SHIT, ZOMBIES!". :3
I love the innuendos in this thread.

Anyway, I totally thought this was about driving directions at first. My answer was going to be "Why don't you Google it?" That's my answer to most things, in fact.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am more of a shower.
I think it also comes from the region you grow up in.(especially for driving and getting around someplace). Like if you live in a or around a city that is very confusing to get around in(4 lefts or 4 rights dont get you back where you started and there are no street sighns) then you are more of a shower when it comes to getting around.
I am even like that with other things I would rather take something and show a person how to do it. I think that is more of a personality trait than regional though.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
ENTP, I'm a shower.

Yeah, pretty much this

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I don't think type will make a difference. I think how we prefer to learn will make an impact on how we give directions. I mean learning in the type of learner we are, kinesthetic, visual, and auditory.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
ENTP, I'm a shower.

^ This is me!

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think type will make a difference. I think how we prefer to learn will make an impact on how we give directions. I mean learning in the type of learner we are, kinesthetic, visual, and auditory.
Are you kidding? I'm already seeing a pattern that most Ne users are showers, and just kinesthetically show people how to do things.

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
I have trouble giving directions because I don't know how I get from point A to point B. It just happens.

"You know, you just, uh...go that way." ---->
or "Just go that way and ask someone else."

:laughing:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I would say that it's between something and something on one axis and between something and something else on the other. The "something" could be anything-- roads, landmarks, stores, etc.

I know an INTP girl who despised whenever she asked for directions and the person said that it was next to something, because that wasn't sufficient information with the grid system she had in her head.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I am an INFP, and I will go, "Uhhhhh..." and then find somebody else who will be better at the task and get them to give people directions.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Step by step directions, if I must. In other words, if it's being done over the phone or the situation is likely to come up again. However, generally, I'd prefer to sigh in frustration, and do it myself, because I hate repeating myself and wasting my time. I lack patience.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts