Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
I suppose it's possible. Perhaps you love yourself and thus have moderate to high self-esteem, and you perceive yourself to be unloved by others yet you have no negative feelings towards it.

Reactions: Peripatetic

·
Registered
957 Posts
It depends how you experience being unloved. If it's just a statement of fact and not something that is painful to you I would say its possible to have good self esteem. But it's always been my consideration that the healthier you are about your emotions the more you will be able to give to others and therefore be less likely of being unloved. All together I'd say the two phenomenons are very rarely disociable, and if you're experiencing a great need for affection than there is little possibility that your self esteem is good...

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Not really. If nothing else, chances are you have at least one friend, acquaintance, ex boyfriend, etc. who still loves you, but that isn't enough for you. And, yknow, God loves you regardless. Feeling unloved is normal every now and then, but it's healthy to try to remember all the love that's out there, and most importantly to try to love yourself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
IMO, yes.

Or at least, it's possible.

I think the 5 love languages can play into it. Home | The 5 Love Languages®

If you continually end up in relationships or friendships where people express their love and appreciation in ways that don't signify love for you, personally, you can end up feeling chronically unloved.

I've been through it personally. 'Words of Affirmation' are all I need to feel loved, fuck gifts, acts of service, and so on and so forth...however I've continually ended up in situations with emotionally shut-off people that are no good at articulating themselves, their emotions, or their feelings toward me. Or people that think after a point affirmation is unnecessary and should just be understood.

I think you can have pretty decent self-esteem - knowing you're worthy of love and respect - whilst also being incredibly down about not getting it, or feeling that you're not getting it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IMO, yes.

Or at least, it's possible.

I think the 5 love languages can play into it. Home | The 5 Love Languages®
You're words? I'm touch. At the right time it's electricity.

I think you can have pretty decent self-esteem - knowing you're worthy of love and respect - whilst also being incredibly down about not getting it, or feeling that you're not getting it.
So at wiki they define self-esteem in two parts: belief & emotions. And in my case I seem to have the high self-esteem beliefs (though sometimes I beat myself up over not being more contemplative) but not the emotions part. So I'd put it like this...

(A)Unloved --> (B)feel unloved --> (C)low self-esteem (in emotion)

So I would ask, could the chain be broken? How? Because "loving yourself" seems to fit into the high self-esteem belief category. But for me that isn't sufficient to feel loved or have high emotional self-esteem--I still feel the shame and despair and such. So it doesn't brake the chain. (Although maybe I'm doing it wrong lol).

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
If you're a sociopath or narcissist, you can feel extremely (outwardly) confident without feeling loved or appreciated for who you actually are.

But narcissists and sociopaths actually feel inwardly empty and unloved. One of the reasons narcissism is so common in American society is because of "confidence built on outward appearance or achievement."

Real confidence comes from deep abiding love and/or self-love that is unconditional.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.