Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Me.

I don't think it really has to do with personality type, but I would guess Js aren't very selfish because they make decisions based on external logic or values which I imagine means they consider the world's global logic or values when making decisions.

Ps make decisions based on internal logic and values, so I would guess they are more likely to be selfish. After all, they put their own values and logic above that of the world when making decisions.

For example: I know the world views selfish as negative, but personally, I don't consider a little bit of selfishness to be a negative trait because meddling and nosiness and trying to control another person's life are more likely to occur in its absence, so calling me selfish may have less of an affect on my decisions than those of someone with external values.

This probably wasn't what you were looking for, but this is what I think. :mellow:

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I find I agree with you.
I realize that my post might seem like I was trying to pick on people. :p

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Some might say INFP.

I don't feel it is strictly related to type. What is "too selfish," or just "selfish," period, is sort of ambiguous, and having a certain set of cognitive functions doesn't set your personality in stone. You always have the choice not to do what may be easiest or come most naturally, and your choices often depend on your personal values.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I wouldn't judge it as a per type basis. Selfishness varies in the individual. I know it can also be seen in societies to varying levels, yet social levels of selfishness are just constituted by the individuals within it.

But in terms of individuals, I would say I am selfish through to my core.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
This isn't a question of type, really. Some people are selfish at the core, but their reputation has come to depend on what they do to help others. It becomes a farce or generosity to maintain a facade of benevolence.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I have to disagree of me being selfish, in how selfish is seen by most people. I guess it's the enneagram type 9 coming in. I'm very agreeable, self contained, self effacing and loyal. But yes, I do these things out of selfish reasons, because of my longing for peace, harmony and unity.

Unselfishness does not exist.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I blame ESTJ. It may be that I only really know one, and its my mom, but she cannot get past herself for the life of her.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Umm, usually ESTP and ENTJ from my experience.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Me.

I don't think it really has to do with personality type, but I would guess Js aren't very selfish because they make decisions based on external logic or values which I imagine means they consider the world's global logic or values when making decisions.

Ps make decisions based on internal logic and values, so I would guess they are more likely to be selfish. After all, they put their own values and logic above that of the world when making decisions.

For example: I know the world views selfish as negative, but personally, I don't consider a little bit of selfishness to be a negative trait because meddling and nosiness and trying to control another person's life are more likely to occur in its absence, so calling me selfish may have less of an affect on my decisions than those of someone with external values.

This probably wasn't what you were looking for, but this is what I think. :mellow:
Isn't it the E/I part that determines what's internal and what's external? The J/P does not determine that. I'm an INTJ and Ni rules my world. Very internal, not external at all.

Maybe you mean that P's focus more on observing and (at least from the outside) seem to be less interest in taking action, that they seem more selfish.

But to be honest, I don't think selfishness has much to do with MBTI type. I can't find a pattern in personality type and selfishness in the people I know. What I did notice is that personality type does say something about the reasons that somebody is selfish. That actually makes sense because MBTI does predict very well why people behave the way they do.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I think everyone's selfish, we just show it in different ways. I could never point to someone else, yet alone a whole group of people and accuse them of being selfish when I've done some pretty selfish things in the past.
Totally agree with this post.

·
Banned
2 Posts
in your eyes MBTI = a more sophisticated way of stereotyping
can you please stop making sweeping generalizations? half of the trillion threads and replies you've made are bigoted and unfounded

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
in your eyes MBTI = a more sophisticated way of stereotyping
can you please stop making sweeping generalizations? half of the trillion threads and replies you've made are bigoted and unfounded
Lol sorry to get you irritated with my threads.
I will not post bigoted sweeping generalizations anymore. Promise.
:)

·
Banned
2 Posts
thanks man. sorry to lash out like that, it's not the best "welcome to the forum" post. i just think you should think before typing.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks man. sorry to lash out like that, it's not the best "welcome to the forum" post. i just think you should think before typing.
that is something i have trouble doing, but i do and will try.*i just saved a comment i was going to type*
See, I'm getting better at it already.. leme put my cool shades on..

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I think everyone's selfish, we just show it in different ways. I could never point to someone else, yet alone a whole group of people and accuse them of being selfish when I've done some pretty selfish things in the past.
so because you consider yourself selfish, you think everybody is selfish. That's not a really good argument for your claim, is it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts