Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a hell of a time with the whole MBTI thing and cognitive functions. The problem is because I tend to overanalyze everything and constantly second guess myself. It comes to the point where I over think it SO much that nothing ends up makes sense. Basically goes like this...

(trying to figure out whether I use Fe/Ti or Fi/Te)
-*decides to look into the description of both*... understands the function of each. Can relate to Te very well.... *reads about Fe*, can relate somewhat.... *reads Fi*, can relate somewhat.... *reads about Ti* Can relate at times too. So figure - Use Te and then Fi...... (reads into INTJ, feel like it fits, except not exactly.... (start contradicting myself and believing that perhaps my feeling side is indeed larger).... looks into INFP, can relate to the sympathizing with the underdog part... can relate to the introvert (minus any nancy, hippy shit) except I always put myself ahead of others, don't give a rats ass if I hurt their feelings, take advantage of people all the time, often enjoy messing with people for fun.... (forget about the Fi/Fe and focus on the T) begins considering Ti... then again doubt it. Move on to Ne/Si vs Ni/Se... same dilemma.

Then start doubting the entire system. Then realize it's probably true since it works for many other individuals. Then start doubting the credibility of other individuals and believe they're purposely playing out the stereotype of the types or have not studied it close enough... since I've tried to beat it like a dead horse. Then I question my own knowledge and think I'm missing something crucial. Then I consider myself stupid because I can't seem to pick a category which fits me. Then... since I can't do that, I question the system again. Yet I CAN'T STOP because I MUST figure it out and I can't rest until I do because it is like a puzzle and I must solve that puzzle and apply it to myself. While I can easily apply it to others and I understand the workings of each... I can't apply it to my own mind.

I really don't think I need to elaborate on that any further, I probably could have stopped after the second sentence.... but anyways. Is there any type where this is a common occurrence?

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Sounds ISTP-ish.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? That's interesting. Se is my lowest developed function, lower than Si I'm positive of that. So it's interesting that ISTP often do that considering it's their Auxiliary function.
There must be some other type that often over analyses and second guesses.

though maybe it's not. Maybe my Se is well developed and I just haven't realized it O___O.......

damn it. There is goes again.

.... if the ISTP have Ti as their dominant trait, could it then just have something to do with the Ti?.... though I don't think so.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Have you decided for sure that you are an INXX? So you just need to know whether it is INTP, INTJ, INFJ, or INFP?

Do you know which of Ni, Ne, Se, or Si you use?

I think mismatches can happen to any type. That said, I've only ever questioned one letter of my type.

EDIT: Made a really dumb typo.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I'm sure of anything, then it's the N. That's the only one I'm continuously gotten (specifically Ne). Yet while I get that always, I wonder if that's the cause of my issue... maybe I'm not an intuitive after all o_O.

I'm sure of the introversion. I can put on quite the show and force myself to be anybody, but I generally prefer my thinking and exploring time (I spend a lot of time researching random things: MBTI has been the highlight for the past few months.)

But yeah. It's probably the last two letters.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Ti is the king of analyzing, and often goes over the top with it, so yes you could be right. It's a completely alien function to me so I can't speak from experience, but combined with Ne it's constantly analyzing new ideas and possibilities, and with Se it's more interested in analyzing what's already there. That's why INTPs are the thinkers and ISTPs are the mechanics - INTPs can think about everything that doesn't exist, everything that's not tangible, so most of the things they think about won't become a reality.

When you said that you must find something out and nail it down as a fact, that made me think ISTP, but the fact that you keep jumping between possibilities strikes me as INTP. Maybe it'd be easier to look up the differences between Si and Ni instead, and see which one of those you're more accustomed to?

Reactions: Owfin and O_o

·
Registered
456 Posts
Over analyzing until nothing make sense anymore and seeing way too many possible scenarios... welcome to the INTP club?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ti is the king of analyzing, and often goes over the top with it, so yes you could be right. It's a completely alien function to me so I can't speak from experience, but combined with Ne it's constantly analyzing new ideas and possibilities, and with Se it's more interested in analyzing what's already there. That's why INTPs are the thinkers and ISTPs are the mechanics - INTPs can think about everything that doesn't exist, everything that's not tangible, so most of the things they think about won't become a reality.

When you said that you must find something out and nail it down as a fact, that made me think ISTP, but the fact that you keep jumping between possibilities strikes me as INTP. Maybe it'd be easier to look up the differences between Si and Ni instead, and see which one of those you're more accustomed to?
This is extremely informative o.o thank you. I will do that.

Reactions: Kito

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
El Oh El. I got INTP as my very first result when I took the test. (Then ENTP, then INFP, then ENFP, then INFJ then INTJ then ENFJ then INFP again....)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts