Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. It seems like a standard thing for INFJs that things just have to make sense for us, so it makes sense that our actions are inspired by an underlying belief system. We're generally defined as caring, empathetic people, but I think our reasons for compassion can be very different, and our idea of what compassion is can be very different too.

·
Registered
585 Posts
When I was younger, my "inspiring idea" was the search for ultimate morality, and to embody that morality.

I now believe morality is subjective. My main inspiration comes from a quote from Albert Schweitzer - "To the question whether I am a pessimist or an optimist, I answer that my knowledge is pessimistic, but my willing and hoping are optimistic." As a result, I seek to show and give hope to others, because I think it's one of the greatest gifts we can impart to those around us.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I was younger, my "inspiring idea" was the search for ultimate morality, and to embody that morality.

I now believe morality is subjective. My main inspiration comes from a quote from Albert Schweitzer - "To the question whether I am a pessimist or an optimist, I answer that my knowledge is pessimistic, but my willing and hoping are optimistic." As a result, I seek to show and give hope to others, because I think it's one of the greatest gifts we can impart to those around us.
That's a great quote, and I think I've had ideas similar to it =) Like I don't believe in actual altruism for example, but despite this knowledge (supposed knowledge at least), I still strive to be altruistic because it's the hope I have for myself, humanity and the world in general. I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That's a great quote, and I think I've had ideas similar to it =) Like I don't believe in actual altruism for example, but despite this knowledge (supposed knowledge at least), I still strive to be altruistic because it's the hope I have for myself, humanity and the world in general. I hope that makes sense.
lol It makes sense. :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
What does a human being need in order to grow up mentally healthy. This leads to: why people act the way they do, why they believe whatever they believe, how to be happy and about anything like that. The question about mental health and needs are important in doulaing too as when woman is birthing a baby, her mental state affects the labour progress and how she experiences it and the overall experience can have huge impact on her life after the birth. It can empower tremendously, it can traumatize and anything in between. I find it fascinating in itself and how as a doula it is possible to affect the progress towards the positive. The other aspect of this in my life is obviously my kids. How to raise them, how to take care of them without messing them up. I also try to find out what I need as I have been struggling with depression for years. Mental health, I guess it boils down to that.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol It makes sense. :p
Gee, you don't have to stick your tongue out at me. Just kidding lol. Thank you for the affirmation. I've been reading weird philosophy stuff lately, so I'm interested in other people's ideas about life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a unlimited amount of ideas that inspire me, I can get them from the view of the beach or songs I hear. Inspiration comes from everywhere you just gotta open up your mind and it will come rushing in. Right now I'm listening to Terence McKenna his ideas are incredible and awe inspiring. He was truly a beautiful soul just hearing him talk brings peace and calmness to me and makes me incredibly hopeful for the future.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
What does a human being need in order to grow up mentally healthy. This leads to: why people act the way they do, why they believe whatever they believe, how to be happy and about anything like that. The question about mental health and needs are important in doulaing too as when woman is birthing a baby, her mental state affects the labour progress and how she experiences it and the overall experience can have huge impact on her life after the birth. It can empower tremendously, it can traumatize and anything in between. I find it fascinating in itself and how as a doula it is possible to affect the progress towards the positive. The other aspect of this in my life is obviously my kids. How to raise them, how to take care of them without messing them up. I also try to find out what I need as I have been struggling with depression for years. Mental health, I guess it boils down to that.
This.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Psychology has been important to me for a long time struggling with depression too. I imagine if I had kids that I'd study developmental psych a lot more too even though I hated it in college lol.

Reactions: GoodOldDreamer

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Growing up I valued the idea of selfless altruism as seen in Pay It Forward, 7 Pounds ands the idea of unbreakable soul bonds in What Dreams May Come (1998) but knew early on that altruism takes a degree of emotional power renunciation that many seem unsure how to truly offer or more inclined to take on their own terms... Now of course I favour the notion of 'one cannot give unconditional love until they know it within themselves first' and the ideal that being authentic to your own nature encourages others to do the same (or risks others rejecting what they themselves cannot know in themselves; but this is their issue not a validation exercise).

·
Registered
385 Posts
Modern Technology, Psychology, Philosophy and Activism (too many ideas to be specific) are my primary sources of inspiration. The sum total of my knowledge in the the three have resulted in a grand vision/dream. This dream shapes and drives every one of my actions. In the simplest terms possible, I'm driven by the notion of re-defining human nature and re-shaping the machine that is socialization in order to take humanity to the next level; A knowledge based, co-operative, humanistic society.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts