Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ 2w1
203 Posts
Reminds me of something a female friend told me about. She told me that someone, whenever they used to speak, would keep staring into her eyes and she'd feel like the guy was trying to manipulate her or something. =/ She'd have to look away since it was so uncomfortable.

Anyways, I work as a Sales Associate and customers constantly do the same thing to me as well. The way I understand it is that they're trying to intimidate or establish dominance over me. After assuming that, if I had the energy, I'd look at them right back in the eyes. ^__^ Either way, I'd keep eye contact as much as possible. I'd blink though as if I weren't trying to keep my focus on their eyes. Gotta make it look real right? Others would keep staring and not blink at all, which is really weird. =/

So if I know what you're talking about, I'd say that if they were giving you the manipulative stare, give it right back. XD But be BETTER at it than them. =) It's uncomfortable and will take some time and some work, but this will constantly be an issue for you if you don't fight back. Also understanding things makes it easier to find a solution for a problem. I understood this kind of behavior from customers to be them trying to intimidate me or establish dominance over me in order to push me into getting them discounts or giving free stuff. So I knew what I had to do from there. Not give in. =) And it's nice to see them confused or upset that they didn't get the desired response or reaction. XD

·
Registered
INFJ 2w1
203 Posts
^__^ You're supposed to blink when you're looking back at the person. Otherwise it'd look like you were staring. By blinking, it makes it SEEM like you're not using that manipulative stare back on them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What I do is just look in between their eyes or at their nose so I make it casual and to show that I'm not phased by their stare. The problem is sometimes I give others intense stares while i try to read them that I don't mean and they become intimidated and I wish they didn't...

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Practice. When you feel really confident you don't have a problem with this, but confidence is something you need to work on to gain.

But I can't stop blinking. :O I must have dry eye or something. No fair.
Relax, it's not a staring contest. You can blink while looking at someone and it doesn't mean you've succumbed to manipulation. ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Reminds me of something a female friend told me about. She told me that someone, whenever they used to speak, would keep staring into her eyes and she'd feel like the guy was trying to manipulate her or something. =/ She'd have to look away since it was so uncomfortable.

Anyways, I work as a Sales Associate and customers constantly do the same thing to me as well. The way I understand it is that they're trying to intimidate or establish dominance over me. After assuming that, if I had the energy, I'd look at them right back in the eyes. ^__^ Either way, I'd keep eye contact as much as possible. I'd blink though as if I weren't trying to keep my focus on their eyes. Gotta make it look real right? Others would keep staring and not blink at all, which is really weird. =/

So if I know what you're talking about, I'd say that if they were giving you the manipulative stare, give it right back. XD But be BETTER at it than them. =) It's uncomfortable and will take some time and some work, but this will constantly be an issue for you if you don't fight back. Also understanding things makes it easier to find a solution for a problem. I understood this kind of behavior from customers to be them trying to intimidate me or establish dominance over me in order to push me into getting them discounts or giving free stuff. So I knew what I had to do from there. Not give in. =) And it's nice to see them confused or upset that they didn't get the desired response or reaction. XD
I agree.

I usually don't look into eyes of strangers, but sometimes I get impression that people try to pin me down with their stare, I read it as a signal they want me to stare back, so that's what I do.

I'm a five so I realise that for some people I may not give enough eye contact and that's when they do that. I just look back.

If it's not a stare contest, then you should keep in mind to make yourself appear friendly, so as Weiss said - do blink, you may move your stare a bit around their face or even out and in, just not too fast. Try to appear relaxed, smile etc.

If it is a stare contest, you're supposed to look straight in the eye.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts