Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the saying "most people think they are self aware, but very few actually are". How do you know if you're one of those people? I would like to say that I am, but how do you actually know? I'd rather take the medium ground and say "I could be or might not be" rather than say I am and look like a fool if I'm not. Is it just one of those things that you really can't know about yourself?

I've always wanted to be part of a social experiment. Is there any type of college class or something that deals with commiunication and self awareness? That would be something I'd like to do.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sit back and think for a moment. When is the last time you've reflected upon your core beliefs? When was the last time you challenged them and really contemplated your stance on what you believe? How sure are you in those beliefs? Why do you believe that or think like that? How much do you trust the ideas you put forward? How do you feel right now at this very moment? What are your goals, your dreams, your ambitions? What do you fear? What are your weaknesses, your strengths?

Becoming self aware takes a lot of meditation and reflection upon one's self. And it doesn't have to be sitting cross legged under a waterfall sort of meditation either. It can be just simple daydreaming, a mindless activity, drawing, listening to music, etc. But you must stabilize your core beliefs and ideals. Then, put forth your ambitions. And it's important to know your emotions, for if you ignore them for too long, you'll lose your way. Keep tabs on them. Know what you're good at, what you aren't good at, and how you can cover up those faults. Know you can stand up to those fears, for you will always reach your goal.

Then pretend a tornado whipped through your mind. Your ideas, knowledge, beliefs, morals, goals all strewn about. Even though they've fallen into disarray, you know where everything is. You know what you stand for, where you're going, and how you feel. Because you've already internalized who you are. No fear, weakness, or wall can change that.

That is how one achieves self awareness. It takes time, effort, and intense thought. It's a state of enlightenment that is beyond comprehension. This is just my way of describing the indescribable. And it isn't over with just doing it once. One must always reflect upon one's self, maybe everyday, maybe every week, to see if a core belief has changed. It's an endless cycle of self reflection, meditation, and endless thought.

I do believe I'm self aware. I would have to say there is no middle ground, considering you either know all of yourself or you don't. As for classes to take to test if you are self aware, philosophy courses would be a good start. That's where/when I started reaching this state and it helped a lot.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I think the very question of 'how do you learn how self-aware you are?' is self-defeating.

You learn that as you learn about yourself. Be aware that every person will miss something about themselves that others see, especially in the case of deteriorated self-worth, but to ask the question 'how do you know how self-aware you are?' implies that you. . .don't. If you're self-aware, you're self-aware. It completely nixes the concept and value of self if you seek counsel from those who are not self to find out if you know yourself. They may help you realize more, but only you know if you know yourself.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
You know the saying "most people think they are self aware, but very few actually are". How do you know if you're one of those people? I would like to say that I am, but how do you actually know? I'd rather take the medium ground and say "I could be or might not be" rather than say I am and look like a fool if I'm not. Is it just one of those things that you really can't know about yourself?

I've always wanted to be part of a social experiment. Is there any type of college class or something that deals with commiunication and self awareness? That would be something I'd like to do.
someone posted something a while back about this. it might have been @Stoneburg or at least it was around the time that he posted about the human development thing.

edit: after 10 minutes of searching. I found it .http://personalitycafe.com/intp-for...your-current-average-level-consciousness.html it was a pretty interesting topic. the chart wasn't informative enough for me. I had to find a book about it.

weird that was just last september. seems like it was a year ago at least.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sit back and think for a moment. When is the last time you've reflected upon your core beliefs? When was the last time you challenged them and really contemplated your stance on what you believe? How sure are you in those beliefs? Why do you believe that or think like that? How much do you trust the ideas you put forward? How do you feel right now at this very moment? What are your goals, your dreams, your ambitions? What do you fear? What are your weaknesses, your strengths?

Becoming self aware takes a lot of meditation and reflection upon one's self. And it doesn't have to be sitting cross legged under a waterfall sort of meditation either. It can be just simple daydreaming, a mindless activity, drawing, listening to music, etc. But you must stabilize your core beliefs and ideals. Then, put forth your ambitions. And it's important to know your emotions, for if you ignore them for too long, you'll lose your way. Keep tabs on them. Know what you're good at, what you aren't good at, and how you can cover up those faults. Know you can stand up to those fears, for you will always reach your goal.
You make some good points. You do have to reflect a lot on yourself, your feelings, and your beliefs. But it's a little more complex than this. And it takes more than just reflection to know yourself. You won't be able to bring out all the parts of yourself on your own through introspection; there isn't a direct pipeline into the unconscious, and much will lie latent if you don't interact with people and the world. Introspection also doesn't always necessarily lead to someplace good, either. You can retreat into your inner world, become delusional, and lose yourself, as well. And you can lose yourself associating with the wrong people, too. You must learn to navigate both the outer and inner world to really know yourself.

I do believe I'm self aware. I would have to say there is no middle ground, considering you either know all of yourself or you don't. As for classes to take to test if you are self aware, philosophy courses would be a good start. That's where/when I started reaching this state and it helped a lot.
I have to tell you that it doesn't work this way. It isn't a binary thing; there are levels of self-awareness. You may be more self-aware than other people, but I assure you that you don't know everything there is to know about yourself. Learning about yourself is a very long journey.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You make some good points. You do have to reflect a lot on yourself, your feelings, and your beliefs. But it's a little more complex than this. And it takes more than just reflection to know yourself. You won't be able to bring out all the parts of yourself on your own through introspection; there isn't a direct pipeline into the unconscious, and much will lie latent if you don't interact with people and the world. Introspection also doesn't always necessarily lead to someplace good, either. You can retreat into your inner world, become delusional, and lose yourself, as well. And you can lose yourself associating with the wrong people, too. You must learn to navigate both the outer and inner world to really know yourself.
True. I forgot to mention that. External ideas and forces are just as powerful and necessary as internal reflection. I did say that I was trying to describe something that's hard to comprehend.

And yes, one takes a life time to learn about one's self. It's a never ending story and cycle of analysis, reflection, theory, and definition of both the mind and the outside world you live in.

·
Banned
279 Posts
How do you measure self awareness? This is a very bad question. However, I would like to say that what you know about yourself depends on what you know about reality.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
5,197 Posts
varieties of self awareness...

if we're going on about this consciousness wankery, then you're probably nuts... or the walking dead.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
5,197 Posts
I could edit that, perhaps I should.

if we're looking at self awareness as thing unto its self.. then it's a matter of philosophy. With about as much depth as masturbation... or I suppose we could tie that to other, ecstatic rituals ... albeit, then I'd have to contend with all the wankers that would pop up to say but noooo the ecstatic rituals are about losing yourself... to which i'd have to point them to the nearest drum circle to be pummeled down by the group, because they're probably those muckers that purposely beat every rhythm out of tune than feeling their way into a complimentary groove, you dig? complimentary doesn't mean sheep-think... anymore than desperately trying to be different, individual, is somehow unique.

so, the reflection of self awareness is measured by contrast and in accordance to those around you...

tho, in the bigger picture, the further and longer those theories are projected outward, it does take that nihilistic spin... to which baby, we are the walking dead.

really, the majority of layouts of the system is compromised between two greater extremes... factions if you will, those with the secret

and those with a snarky, sarcastic answer...

the differences between the two measured in the type of investment..

it's true enough the snark fest are likely hiding behind an abrasive shield to compensate for shoddy world expectations, crippling doubts of self or probably the majority of their connections to 42.

while the secret is just another pseudo cult that believes if they could figure out the formula they'll be able to turn piss into wine and attract magnets using their mind... or memorizing just sixteen more segments of pi.

--

so, what kind of self awareness are we actually talking about here on this cylinder curve of the spectrum leading us all down to some gaea complex of digestive juices...

or what is the reward in being more self aware...

really, 'cuz if shit is going to head towards self actualization... I don't think I'll be able to contain myself as well as I'm doing, thus far...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
"You know the saying "most people think they are self aware, but very few actually are". How do you know if you're one of those people?"

Easy. You are. The trick is that relatively little of what you do each day requires conscious self awareness. So, although you may be consciously self aware now and then, quite often you are not.

A good example is driving. How often have you driven miles without a single consciously aware thought. (Or, even, without a thought about much of anything.) Same with many other tasks. Happens all the time.

Sure, tasks may be complicated and require some mental processing; but, real self awareness? Nope. Really, it's surprising how little of a consciously self aware You is required to get through a day.

A way to develop conscious self awareness is activities which demand Your personal aware presence. Conversations you care about with friends is one example. You can have conversations with God, too.

You can try getting into the habit of making evaluative comments about what's happening in a TV show or commercial or what's happening on the street, especially about what You like or don't like. Get into the habit of talking with yourself about all sorts of things, like picking this or that ice cream.

Your level of conscious self awarenes is sure to improve.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies but I strictly talking about socially. I wasn't referring to states of consciousness.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks for the replies but I strictly talking about socially. I wasn't referring to states of consciousness.
What do you mean by this? Meaning 'awareness of your position on the social totem pole' or 'how you interact socially'?

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
5,197 Posts
surveillance;

by technology (open ended, always rolling; excess amount of data that might provide a narrower objective; essentially, extended mirror tests.. even just 365 days of self portraits (and related projects) might suffice, considering how few people truly see themselves in the mirror on a daily basis... disconnection from self/wrapped up in tasks, etc.)

by other people (whether enlisting them from the start, using said technology, keeping journals or merely answering questionnaires)

by self... (primarily journaling; three to five separate notebooks... like daily habits, physical stats, emotional charts, mental concerns, and event logs)

still, depends on objective / narratives

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I've done that so much in the last two years i'm losing my mind to it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If you want to answer the question "am I self aware" you should start by rephrasing it to "how self aware am I".
The next step would be to make a ladder of self awareness, the bottom would be an animal and top the divine. So we are somewhere in the middle. Where does the good middle begin and where do I stand compared to others. Aristotle gave values to virtues this way.

I would say I am above average but not near the level of a spiritual guru. Could I be more self aware? Yes. How? By questioning my existence to the extent of questioning all my actions and try to figure out from where they arrive.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What do you mean by this? Meaning 'awareness of your position on the social totem pole' or 'how you interact socially'?
Kind of a little bit of both. I think my self confidence would go up if I knew how I came across socially. Sure, logically, how you come across socially doesn't matter, but since I have an extreme passion for psychology and human interaction, I'd feel like a complete fool if I didn't even know I came across like a completely idiot (if that were, of course true). I mean, you can't ask anyone, it's not like you'd be 100% sure they're being honest. People say nice things...to be nice. I don't want that, I want the truth. Thanks for the answers btw guys.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
The only *real* self awareness is enlightenmment/liberation.

You might be extremely aware of your false-self/ego and it's shortcomings, but completely unaware of your true nature.

*spoiler alert*

You are not your body, thoughts, emotions, ideas, values etc etc. You are awareness/consciousness, and ultimately you ARE the universe. This may sound like a nice feelgood concept but it's absolutely not a concept, it's a full blown experience. You can (and will sooner or later... hint: death) experience this for yourself. In fact, I insist that you do NOT take my word for it but investigate for yourself. Who are you really, behind all the conditioned bullshit, belief systems, thoughts, traumas, ideas, relationships and behavioral patterns? Find that shit out!

"Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When he finds, he will become troubled. When he becomes troubled, he will be astonished, and he will rule over the All."

Oh and a warning regarding meditation and self-inquiry: If you decide to start, better finish.
:)

Reactions: grandpa2390
1 - 20 of 22 Posts