Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are few people I like and even then, I get tired of them, too. However, last year, I met someone (most likely INTJ; if not, then INTP) who was one grade lower than I. I usually don't like to associate with people in lower grades (it makes me feel stupid, ha ha), but she was intelligent and a lot like me. We were both girls who wanted to become scientists and stay single. This year, we have a class together and it's great. Nerds are rare enough at my school this year, but I'm pretty sure we're the only female ones. It's a shame we probably won't go to the same college.

What about you? Do you know anyone you usually don't get tired of?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Shit, I don't even really like my family. I mean they're not bad parents by any means they're just insufferable. I'm an only child but I'm thankful for that, because my luck I'd probably have a sibling who was the complete opposite of me.

I really only have one true friend, but that's debatable because I usually get annoyed by his presence after a good half hour. He likes to change the music I'm listening to in the car which takes an immense amount of nerve considering it's my car, but I'm usually cool about it. If I do feel like hanging out with him I usually feel worse afterwards and think "you know, I probably would have been better off just Skyping with him instead."

The fact that I'm 17 may come into effect here, but part of me feels a little delusional with the mindset that I will find people to spend time with because there's always the possibility that I'll just remain a lone wolf. So to answer your question, no not really.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Family are like the worst people to talk to actually :D

Recently I do have some fun in the chatroom occupied mostly by INTPs, there are some great people and we are able to get into deep talk, as much as listen to cool music and share whatever is on our mind, also we play youtube videos that are sometimes educational and inspirational... 4sjh6 - Tinychat

In terms of real life I enjoy talking to my ISFJ friend, we have similar opinions on stuff, we are both introverts and pay attention to what the other says....

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Of course there are..
I've had the same best friend since preschool, she unfortunately lives about 6-7 hours away, so we usually just talk on the phone or through skype. She's an INFJ, if that matters at all.

I have other friends that I enjoy spending time with or just talking to them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree, my family is terrible to talk to. Except my mother...once in awhile..in small doses..when she is tierd. Haha.

I have an ENTJ friend who is fun to hang out with. I don't normally get tierd of her, and we don't have to constantly be talking so thats nice. Plus i'd say our conversations are pretty interesting. I can't really see us ever not being friends in the future because we can't really fight with each other and we arm't into drama or nothin.

I have like 3 other close friends, but I can only be around them in small doses as well. Like I don't think I would last a whole day hanging out with them, without becoming extremly annoyed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had a really good ISTP friend for about five years now. We both respect each other's need for solitude and we have almost identical interests. We've had some interesting conversations about life, stuff we recently experienced, or just about stupid stuff in general. I can't remember a single time I was with him and wished I was alone.

I can't say that about any other person, though. I have some friends at school that I like to be around, but not as much as previously mentioned friend.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
I'll just name my favorites:

1. My new best friend and non-biological big brother. He's a poly-genius with a broad set of competences and knowledge’s who matches my interests and shares all my core values. He's also the only one on the list that can communicate at my maximum sped (possibly even quicker). I will be spending two whole days with him starting tomorrow so I am giddy with excitement.

2. One of the leading authorities on city planning and architecture in this part of the world. Those are two of my main interests so I feel privileged being able to spend time with him, which I will also be doing next week. He's the deep thinker sort so our communication isn't as fast, but he compensates this by somehow managing to communicate at several levels at the same time. We will be talking about one thing on the surface with another conversation going on below that, but when I afterward analyze our discussions I've also identified a third “infrastructure” that he is communicating which it took me a year to discover. He's very sneaky and strategical like that.

3. A university professor within the field of culture/media/communication. We have more of an informal “father/son” relationship since he was my first mentor, so I get both mental and emotional values from talking to him.

4. A world class coach who's an expert in interpersonal communication and another mentor. He's brilliantly funny and has a way to turn anything into something positive that I find borderline magical. We tend to discuss personal development, communication strategies, business plans, projects and anything funny that pops up. If I could have picked a father, it would have been this man. He embodies the concept of wisdom, curiosity and compassion to me.

5. My business partner. He's basically a very intelligent person but have not spent enough time in stimulating environments to develop that side. Because of this we usually talk about intellectual subjects for his developments sake, although I also get a lot out of it. When we're not talking business that is.

6. A particle physicist with some mental health issues. He has a massive intellectual capacity, and a very critical and skeptical outlook. We discuss overall socio-structural issues, politics and natural science, as well as different mental health issues and perspectives on them.

Man. Looking at that list I'm pretty impressed by the amount of interesting people I've managed to attach myself to. That makes me really happy, so thanks for posting this thread which made me realize this!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have one friend who I've known for 17 or 18 years now, but we don't talk much, as both of us are pretty busy. We'll hang out once in a while, but I've noticed that after about an hour we run out of things to talk about, and then we go our separate ways and don't speak for another month.

Other than her, my family are really the only people I speak to on a regular basis(other than co-workers, but do they count?), as I don't get out much.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I love how the title is under the assumption everyone enjoys talking to their family. *shudders*

Anyways, I enjoy talking to and being around many people, even if I don't know them. There's only one person I enjoy talking to no matter what, though.

·
Registered
BEAR
1,955 Posts
Yeah, there's this one person I meet every day in the cafeteria. Of course we only are together for about 10 minutes a day five days a week. That's probably why we're close. I can't stand being around or talking to the same person for too long. My relationships usually never last because I just can't stand spending too much time with someone, and the other person wants to spend more time with me when I'm thinking "No. We already see each other too much."

·
Registered
46 Posts
My best friend is an xNFJ. His Fe offers an incredibly different perspective than my Ti. He can help me step into other people's shoes, and my Ti helps him look at situations more objectively. All in all, a great friendship.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have an ENFP friend, but she lives an hour away. She wears me out, but I actually feel good after she visits, and not like I've been babysitting her (a problem with a few other people I've known).

You can always visibly see how tired she is--when she's fully awake, she's really energetic, and gets nerdy-excited really easily, which is really entertaining to watch--and when she's really tired, she's really mellow and sleepy and starts not making a lot of sense.

She also really likes to learn complicated things, and have things explained to her. Chameleoning her is really tiring, but she's really intelligent and interesting while still being willing to go all-out fangirl over Sherlock. Needless to say, she's my bestie.

I also had an ISTP artist as a guy friend for a few months, but he's going off to college. He was really sociable and friendly, and a really nice guy--you had to be a real jerk not to like him. He won a national award for his art and everything.
>>This guy. Central senior wins national art award
>>He really liked bugs.

Edit: Also, I do like talking to members of my family. I have a telepathic connection :)P) with my INTJ mom (we start each other's sentences), and my INFP older brother usually has something interesting to say; his ENFJ wife is the goofy, artsy older sister I never had.

On the other hand, my dad is an INTP, and surprisingly not easy to talk to--he sort of lives in a different world, and he needs everything slowly explained to him--which I don't mind doing, but we just don't have much in common.

And when I'm talking to my ENFP younger brother, I kinda want to shove a huge wad of cotton in his mouth and tape it there. He never shuts up and he wants to lecture everyone on video game minutiae, whether they're actually listening or not or just want him to shut up--and, when told to shut up, he presses on worse because he thinks it's just SO IMPORTANT that we know about some dumb thing he wants to blather on about for the next half hour.

Reactions: theorycraft

·
Registered
275 Posts
No. I don't get along with my family with the exception of my brother(INFJ, maybe P), which is probably because we had only seen each other 3 times until a few months ago. We have a lot in common like interests and we hang out every night when he gets home from work, he moved back in for a while because of problems between one of his room mates and his landlord but he is moving out very soon.

The closest thing to a friend I've had is the two people I used to hang around with in high school, I didn't talk much but they seemed to like me and call me a friend, to me they were just decent people who I was around so that I blended in and didn't look like a target. I'm starting college in a week(in the UK college starts when you're 16) and I'm taking a software development course so I may make a friend but I don't mind either way.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
No. I don't get along with my family with the exception of my brother(INFJ, maybe P), which is probably because we had only seen each other 3 times until a few months ago. We have a lot in common like interests and we hang out every night when he gets home from work, he moved back in for a while because of problems between one of his room mates and his landlord but he is moving out very soon.

The closest thing to a friend I've had is the two people I used to hang around with in high school, I didn't talk much but they seemed to like me and call me a friend, to me they were just decent people who I was around so that I blended in and didn't look like a target. I'm starting college in a week(in the UK college starts when you're 16) and I'm taking a software development course so I may make a friend but I don't mind either way.
Haha, you sound like me. Especially with the social interaction as defense. Are we always on alert, positioned to defend by default? It almost sounds Sherlockish.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
In general, I have always been rather easy-going and adaptable. I find I usually focus much of my attention on 1-3 core friends, and the rest I engage with but don't actively try to spend a lot of time with. I remember as a teenager too that I thought many of my peers were kind of senseless or shallow; they didn't really think through things and were caught up in the short term rather than the big picture, so I didn't have much in common with them. So I did spend a lot of my time alone, and many of my relationships involved deep online conversations for awhile, then long periods of silence with occasional contact or some deep contact if one of us had a lot to say.

Spending time with people and having relationships has been more important to me as I age, but at the same time, if I scrutinize my own behavior, essentially even my closest friends, I don't spend a lot of time engaging -- typically it's either fast or famine, and if I spend too long interacting, I get tired and restless and wander off to do my own thing again, getting some space. It's a little different with a spouse / LTR; typically someone compatible with be someone I could live in the same space with, sometimes interact together, but also be able to do things on our own near each other, without needing to talk all the time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts