Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally don't pay much attention to 'famous people' , and I defiantly don't look up to anyone in real life...but more recently, I've gotten really inspired by Elon Musk (an INTJ, I think). The dude has everything I want. He's a workaholic, a high achier, and may be one of the people who prolongs humanity's existence by colonizing a planet...I want to do something huge as well, just don't even know what yet. I have a love hate relationship with just being stuck in my head. I want to do more yet...the drug called laziness doesn't let me...Even when I have ideas for projects, even simple ones, such as, presenting a unique idea trough a novel or a video game, I get side tracked, and never finish anything I start...ot get better ideas...I despise that about myself. I think I have a lot to say and offer, even from something seemingly casual, yet, I can't be an Elon Musk....ever.

....My bad, if that sounds a bit self-high evaluating at points, but being honest here of what I think.

What about you? Is there anyone you look up to? Anyone you'd rather be then yourself...?

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
322 Posts
I'm a little wierd. Instead of an individual, I look up to an idealized future version of myself, and then I focus on the steps I need to take to get there.
If anything, I'll take the most innovative traits from various people when I see it, and then try to incorporate it into myself the best I can. But never from a single person.
Those traits can be courage, perserverance, empathy, stoicism, or any other trait that is potentially positive.

I'm typically a little cautious in following people, as it can lead to you adopting their negative traits as well, and it may be harder to criticize someone who you admire when they do something wrong.

Take it from me, don't try to be Elon Musk. If you try your best to be Elon Musk, you are probably going to fail, as there already is an Elon Musk.
You not only can be someone better, but you can be you at the same time. You just need to focus on what is making you procrastinate, and try to recitfy it.

·
Registered
INTP
3,547 Posts
Yes, a friend I knew 20 years ago. She was funny, kind, and wise. As a single mother of 3 in an Asian culture, she had the courage to live her life as she wanted.

I don't aspire to be like her, as it would require being sociable. But she set a good example in many ways.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Not really. I don't like idolising people, it feels a bit "jesus"ified to me.

I prefer to be impressed by particular traits, acts, experiences, stories etc, all of which cannot be encompassed in a single person or personality.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
I don't really aspire to be like certain people. I tend to be apathetic toward people I don't personally know. And those I do know, while I may admire their accomplishments and behaviors, I wouldn't really want to become since I'm aware of their many flaws.

I do wish I were someone other than myself, because I know my flaws way too well and they're almost unbearable, and I have an endless list of qualities that I would like to be. However, I don't think that any one existing person holds all of these qualities. My ideals are pretty impossible to achieve.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I really admire some composers , artists and some philosophers/thinkers.
Everyone who teaches me in anyway to be a better version of myself is someone who i will looking at .

idolising people is another mather ... that is actually a detachment of your individualization process .

I think the problem is reaching a balance .. without learning from others and sharing knowledge you aren't going to go too far but without having a individualistic concept of your development as human being you aren't gonna to go too far either.

·
Registered
ENTP type 8w5
169 Posts
Plenty of people the world and I classify as “Great” and have made a name for themselves in history

Alexander the Great, TE Lawrence, sir Francis drake, Edward teach and Henry Avery even, Erwin Rommel the desert fox, and even philosophers like Heidegger and nietzche and Sigmund Freud the father of psychoanalysis and lacan also William Blake the writer and poet and painter who made the Great red dragon paintings

I don’t idolize scientists because I think there more impactful people who made scientists a possibility or impactful because they defied great odds to write their name in history as oppose to having resources and making a discovery which seems rather inevitable and not entirely extraordinary

·
Registered
544 Posts
Plenty of people the world and I classify as “Great” and have made a name for themselves in history

Alexander the Great, TE Lawrence, sir Francis drake, Edward teach and Henry Avery even, Erwin Rommel the desert fox, and even philosophers like Heidegger and nietzche and Sigmund Freud the father of psychoanalysis and lacan also William Blake the writer and poet and painter who made the Great red dragon paintings

I don’t idolize scientists because I think there more impactful people who made scientists a possibility or impactful because they defied great odds to write their name in history as oppose to having resources and making a discovery which seems rather inevitable and not entirely extraordinary
That is why composers are superior to scientists .... you can listen a few second of music and already knows who is it .
you can't never create what they created.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The last great Roman Emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Everything he wrote in his personal journal (Meditations) just makes sense, and it's extremely rare that I can agree with a piece of information so seamlessly without picking it apart while digesting it. It all just intuitively clicks so well. His works and stoicism as a whole have taught me how to live and interact with the world, and oddly enough, its teachings are the complete opposite of my upbringing.

The late metaphysical muse Alan Watts. He has just expanded my mind to frontiers I was previously unaware of. If Marcus A really meshes with my logical mind, Alan W is very compatible with my intuitive mind. His lectures pour over consciousness, God, The Universe, society, human experience, psychedelics, every manner of abstract topic. His voice is very calming and comforting to listen to, and the content is even better.

The stellar astronomer Carl Sagan. Funny enough, he hits a lot of bullet points the previous two did. He advocated for reason and science over superstition and wives tales, and his voice is very charming to listen to, and if you hadn't guessed by now, i like to listen to my idols voices. And fortunately Sagan loved to talk about a topic I love(d) to learn about: Space. He was a visionary when it came to Astronomy and Cosmology, he had many great lectures about the nature of the cosmos and how it relates to us. Such timeless wisdom should never be lost.

Honorable mentions: Terrance McKenna, Mr. curly haired psychedelic mushroom man. Eminem, for many, many little personal reasons, he's also my favorite artist.

Tl;dr: a lot of dead guys lol.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
"Looking up" is a bit of a passive role. I can look at someone and see what they're doing right, like them for it, maybe even develop a touch of jealousy; but ultimately I put things into perspective (they are 'only human', got there doing such and such, are a natural X or Y) and learn from them, study their methods, try to adopt a little piece of their character if possible.

In other words I go: "Oh, wow -- okay... (sits back to analyze)" instead of: "WOWIE! (faints from excitement)."

But there are a few I more or less just revere: Kubrick, Chomsky, Huxley, P Hall, Tim Leary, Phil Dick, and others.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't idolize anyone, but I do look up to many esteemed scientists, e.g. Michio Kaku, Sean Carroll, Leonard Susskind, Peter Higgs, Alan Turing, et al., and exceptional instrumentalists, e.g. Navene Koperweis, Shannon Lucas, Dan Carle, Aaron Kitcher, Greg Burgess, Alex Skolnick, Dave Davidson, et al.

I root for the little known "heroes" who push the boundaries of imagination.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
No. Looking up to someone to me implies some kind of hierarchical perspective, and I don't have such a perspective of people.

Besides that, when I like something that's been done, I focus on what's been done; I don't much care about the person who did it just because she did it. I tend to view accomplishments in terms of sufficient motivation, opportunity, and resources, not so much in terms of the people who accomplished them.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
In general, I don't think about individuals, and I don't waste time looking up or down on anyone. I remember in elementary/middle school they would ask me who do I admire most or what profession do I want to be. I would just give generic answers, like I admire Steve Jobs or Thomas Edison, and would like to become a lawyer or an engineer, but it was mostly to please the teachers. The real answer is that I don't care. I don't know why people are so obsessed with successful individuals.

·
Registered
INTP, 5w4 in the Enneagramm
17 Posts
Elon Musk is a good leader.

Personally, I appreciate Homer, Aristotle, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Epictetus, Charles de Gaulle, Joan of Arc...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts