Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -- I almost always test as INTP, but when I was younger, mostly INFP. I am pretty sure at this point that I use FiTe, and with many years of experience my Te is skewing my test results to INTP (which, I know, uses Ti but the tests don't seem to pick that difference up very well.)

Anyway, there have been periods of my life where I was much more extraverted, definitely Ne, I flitted around like a butterfly (or a deranged moth) and was just into collecting experiences, not too much into analyzing and integrating them. So I am considering that I be an ENFP who retreated into a shell when other people rejected or ridiculed me (in my youth). I know ENFPs can be shy.

But, I am also looking at ENTPs and the possibility that I may be one. However, shyness seems less likely here than with ENFP, as I gather that ENTPs don't get their feelings hurt as easliy as ENFPs (or INFPs for that matter) and thus don't withdraw into a shell. So there probably are not many shy ENTPs.

I do understand that ENTPs do need a lot of down time to process all of the input from intuition -- could this lead to a quiet, seemingly introverted ENTP?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Many people probably think I'm an introvert if they haven't had the time to get to know me. I used to be very shy when I was younger, but nowadays if I am quiet I'm just assessing/observing my surroundings (Sometimes the people around me don't relate to me very well so I don't say much to them). That being said, I feel most alive when I am the center of attention, and if I have something on my mind I feel compelled to tell someone about it - I prefer to talk to females, but if my inspiration is big enough I'll bounce ideas off of anybody.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I do understand that ENTPs do need a lot of down time to process all of the input from intuition -- could this lead to a quiet, seemingly introverted ENTP?
Yes, that happens quite frequently. In fact, there are many ENTPs who mistype as INTPs. Probably our most common mistype? You will read a lot about ENTPs being the most "introverted" of the extroverts. Not that we actually are, we lead with Ne, but some of us really aren't that social.

At 1:06 this video explains it quite well.

What causes an ENTP to withdraw into a shell isn't generally hurt feelings. Usually it is because their ideas get rejected. If this happens too much, the ENTP might withdraw.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
entp's can absolutely be shy, but from reading the OP, it seems to me you are not ENTP.

ENTP has zero nada zilch Fi. and they rarely have Te. we generally have pretty thick skin.

I'd consider INFP / ENFP.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
... I wouldn't say I'm shy, but there are times when I'm exceptionally quiet. This is when I'm figuring everything out, like what DoctorJuice says on his videos. I don't consider myself shy; and when I do experience shyness it's not shyness itself but shyness as an expression of poor confidence. I only ever feel shy about certain things and it's never a universal feeling.

I did test as ENFP, occasionally INTP. The deciding factor between Ti/Fe and Fi/Te is how my values are formed.

I never once spoke in terms of right and wrong, and, I do have an issue with morality. Who is anyone to tell my what I can and cannot do. Plus, it's very much inferior to a well reasoned ethics. The understanding of causality, be it in action, word or the emotional state of yourself and the other person, trumps everything. I just question the existence of absolute values.

Reactions: Turophile

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
l wouldn't confuse an INFP and an ENTP.

Around some INFPs, l can become really nervous and l no longer feel comfortable speaking freely.

l won't get that feeling around all, but there is a general INFP radar that l have, even though l really like some INFPs (Really lol). l will confuse an INFP and INTJ before ENTP and INFP, but ENFP and ENTP is not always as clear-cut as you would be lead to believe.

l'd take yourself here What's my personality type?

Some notions about Fi/Ti are misunderstood, @IDontThinkSo gave some good information on ENP's using both Ti and Fi awhile ago, and @bearotter is one of my favorite functions guys.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never once spoke in terms of right and wrong, and, I do have an issue with morality. Who is anyone to tell my what I can and cannot do. Plus, it's very much inferior to a well reasoned ethics.
Well I guess I am the opposite. I've had a strong sense of good vs. evil since I first saw a healthy happy dog, then saw someone kick it. It's an internal sense, though. I also cannot stand for anyone else to tell me what to do, my morality is internal-based. Well-reasoned ethics applied to the group is a useful tool but can always fail. Ex. someone you saw do a crime getting a not guilty verdict and going free. Would not bother me if a citizen took matters into their own hands in that case, provided that citizen was honest about all of the evidence (used Ne and Te) and knew without a doubt that said person committed the crime.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't know you guys but people who use Fi (Dom or aux) are pretty intriguing and amazing to me, they're so random with they values (especially Ne users) and maybe apart from the Sjs they're the worst kind to deal with an Entp, an imature Fi user often tend to take everything so personally, that is really annoying and funny at the same time :laughing:

Man i really need to work on my english grammar and that stuff
if you see something wrong please don't be afraid to point it all :blushed:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm really close to being an introvert. Really really close. Really the only thing that truly confirmed for me that I was an E and not an I was the fact that I clearly use Fe more than Si, and being able to compare myself to my INTP mother and my brother's INTP girlfriend. The INTP's I've interacted with are clear introverts, while I'm really on the boarder.
To answer your question, I can be quiet, but I'm never really shy.
In classes where I have close friends I will on occasion get in trouble for talking, and at one point I was even moved (Which was really stupid, I wasn't talking more than anyone else. Just a self-righteous ENFJ teacher).
In classes where I don't have close friends but I have people I don't mind talking to I'll talk a fair amount. Like in my history class last year I talked to a couple of people who I didn't like all that much, but they were fine. And the teacher, who was an INTP, who by the end of the year admitted I was his favorite student.
In classes where I really have no one to talk to I'll just stare off into the distance thinking about life, or go to sleep. I can be pretty quiet. And I guess I could seem shy in a few situations, but that isn't shyness, it's me trying to get someone to stop talking to me.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I don't know you guys but people who use Fi (Dom or aux) are pretty intriguing and amazing to me, they're so random with they values (especially Ne users) and maybe apart from the Sjs they're the worst kind to deal with an Entp, an imature Fi user often tend to take everything so personally, that is really annoying and funny at the same time :laughing:

I actually find Fi users to be worse to deal with.
I like them fine, and I'm friends with a lot of them, but sometimes they get so angry and if you disagree they take it personally.

One of my closest friends is an SJ (ESTJ), and I don't have much interaction with SFJ's, but I feel like at least STJ's don't take things so personally. They can think of things from an outside view, and can take criticism well. (Not saying that all Fi users are babies about things, it's just difficult to debate with them because they root everything to emotion)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And I guess I could seem shy in a few situations, but that isn't shyness, it's me trying to get someone to stop talking to me.
That's a tactic I am very familiar with and use often.

an imature Fi user often tend to take everything so personally, that is really annoying and funny at the same time
This plus the stereotype of loving kittens and butterflies is why I am more comfortable with thinkers much of the time, and why I don't think INFP fits me at all (with Te being the weakest function).

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
VioletIris said:
This plus the stereotype of loving kittens and butterflies is why I am more comfortable with thinkers much of the time, and why I don't think INFP fits me at all (with Te being the weakest function).

While it may be that many F dominant types have terrible issues with thinking, unless you find yourself rather imbalanced, this won't really show up in the traditional way.
One main facet of F reasoning is it likes to relate to things on a personal level a lot more so than T reasoning. So an F type may still have T reasoning that is well developed and all that, I mean F may be their best fit, but at the end of the day their style towards information and decisions will involve a lot of thinking reasoning as well.

So I'd not go by very generalized things like this. Really, there are just 16 types, and the ultimate thing is they are a lot more about preference than skill. I wouldn't think of Te as the weakest function so much as the function the Fi-dom represses but still needs. They know on some level that all value-based reasoning is subject to thinking input, but their tendency is to introvert (consider objective, external factors last), so in forming their views and decisions Te tends to creep up on them. A non-Fi-dominant but pretty clear example of Fi use that I like to spew (hah) is Hermione Granger (probably Si-Te-Fi)'s Fi evaluation of elf slavery. There was a minimization of the objective truths of how elves really feel, and a more personalized, abstracted sense of what is justice to me emphasized, which led her to conclude it feels wrong even if objectively the elves seem to be "happy". And on some level this can be a great utility -- if everyone tried to go with the apparent objective truth, one may never get to the soul of what is really going on beneath the surface. Her starting point for the judgmetn was what justice feels like to her. Very sort of out of touch with what was objectively going on in the level of feelings.

An extroverted intuitive is an extroverted intuitive. Their comfort is not determining how things are, or what things are worth/how valuable they are. Their tendency is to hang on the edge of hunches, future possibilities, and jump to the symbolic content and potential of objective reality, but always motivated by understanding or contributing to objective reality.

Extroversion does not have to be a liking for people. It could simply mean looking outside of yourself for stimulation, even at things (inanimate).

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts

oh, l truly do like some INFPs and probably admire their creativity over everything, as trite as it sounds. l think their individuality is admirable, l just don't experience much flexibility with them.

l find there's a huge difference in my real-life experience, between dominant Fi and dominant Ne.

A young ENFP may have more Fi related people issues, but l've generally found them to be easy-going.

Again, really wish l could say the same for INFP's but it just hasn't been the case (although l seem to have more luck with mature ones-over 25 l guess).

Fiona Apple-my favorite INFP of all time :blushed:

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
l think their individuality is admirable, l just don't experience much flexibility with them.

l
yes. I struggle with MBTI and one of the things which hung me up forever was that INFP's are really inflexible on so many things, and INFJ's are really flexible in many things.
I'm used to the J version being more rigid.
ISFJ's are much more rigid than ISFP's in my opinion. I guess ENFJ's are more flexible than ENFP's, but neither is exactly a pillar of sanctimonious.

Reactions: LadyO.W.BernieBro

·
Registered
353 Posts
oh, l truly do like some INFPs and probably admire their creativity over everything, as trite as it sounds. l think their individuality is admirable, l just don't experience much flexibility with them.

l find there's a huge difference in my real-life experience, between dominant Fi and dominant Ne.

A young ENFP may have more Fi related people issues, but l've generally found them to be easy-going.

Again, really wish l could say the same for INFP's but it just hasn't been the case (although l seem to have more luck with mature ones-over 25 l guess).

Fiona Apple-my favorite INFP of all time :blushed:
Spot-on about the individuality, my infp friend tend to refuse every fucking hangout but those he invites :laughing:
Sometimes with Fi users i feel that i need to be careful and i hate to be careful because i lose all my quick thinking and Spontaneous behavior

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
Spot-on about the individuality, my infp friend tend to refuse every fucking hangout but those he invites :laughing:
Sometimes with Fi users i feel that i need to be careful and i hate to be careful because i lose all my quick thinking and Spontaneous behavior
Yeah, the only touchy areas l had with my ENFP were regarding a few obsessive interests he had that l found ridiculous, but that he would flip his shit over if l said so but otherwise we had no issues.

Which is fine with me, l have interests people might scoff at myself *COUGHCOUGHMBTI*...his were a little more on the magical side of things, but whatever lol.

·
Banned
6,247 Posts
Hi -- I almost always test as INTP, but when I was younger, mostly INFP. I am pretty sure at this point that I use FiTe, and with many years of experience my Te is skewing my test results to INTP (which, I know, uses Ti but the tests don't seem to pick that difference up very well.)

Anyway, there have been periods of my life where I was much more extraverted, definitely Ne, I flitted around like a butterfly (or a deranged moth) and was just into collecting experiences, not too much into analyzing and integrating them. So I am considering that I be an ENFP who retreated into a shell when other people rejected or ridiculed me (in my youth). I know ENFPs can be shy.

But, I am also looking at ENTPs and the possibility that I may be one. However, shyness seems less likely here than with ENFP, as I gather that ENTPs don't get their feelings hurt as easliy as ENFPs (or INFPs for that matter) and thus don't withdraw into a shell. So there probably are not many shy ENTPs.

No. ENTPs don't have Fi. Or at least I don't. It's the only thing I got a negative number for on my cognative skills test.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Some ENTPs easily use TE, some use FI. FE always comes last, when properly tested.
False. Completely false. The "correct" order is Ne-Ti-Fe-Si, with a shadow of Ni-Te-Fi-Se. It's possible to veer from that a bit and still fit closest to ENTP, but to say that a type that uses (tertiary) Fe as one of its four typical primary functions should "always" have Fe come last is just nonsensical.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.