Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear INFP's,

Do you like to go clubbing? This may not be a very introverted thing to do but I love to lose myself dancing (awkwardly) among the crowd. But come to think of it maybe it's indeed what an introvert would do in a club, to be alone in a crowd, enjoying himself instead of looking for chicks or talking loudly with your friends.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I used to do that in Japan. You are right. However it somehow becomes easier when I was severely stressed. Like our shadow is coming out. Though when you recover from the being hyper stressed out, you'll wonder what was the appeal of clubbing again.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
It's not for me but I'd imagine there'd be a few INFP's out there who enjoy it, especially if they like the sort of music playing in the club. One of my INFP friends likes to go out and get tipsy and dance to a certain kind of music. She doesn't do it every weekend, but once every month or so. Another one liked it more in her late teens/early 20's but as she got older it lost its appeal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to do that in Japan. You are right. However it somehow becomes easier when I was severely stressed. Like our shadow is coming out. Though when you recover from the being hyper stressed out, you'll wonder what was the appeal of clubbing again.
well my preferred style of music is only being played in night clubs, so yeah...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I've actually never been to a club! I don't know if that's weird. However, I really love to dance and just get absorbed by the music, it's pretty much all I do when I find myself at a party. It's also easier than small talk and all the boring, meaningless socializing!

·
Registered
INTP
7,070 Posts
INTP here.

I love it also, but only if I like the music, and only if intoxicated.

My need for intoxication makes me wonder - does it mean I actually don't enjoy it? Or do I just need the drug to lose my inhibitions in a crowd?

Also, I think a lot of INFPs get involved in the underground rave scene - doesn't matter the type of music, as long as it's not mainstream. It's more of a niche, usually has more intelligent people and there is almost always a hippy vibe in some way. I've always thought it would be quite the ideal scene for the INFP. Maybe I'm wrong. I personally love it. Not that I do it very much any more, because I tend to go too hard and it damages my health greatly. But the enjoyment factor is very real.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sx
4,016 Posts
If the club was full of people that shared my values then yes, I would like to go ''clubbing''.
Who am I kidding right ... I gave it a shot quite some times but I lost faith. It's not my scene, not my crowd.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
INTP here.

I love it also, but only if I like the music, and only if intoxicated.

My need for intoxication makes me wonder - does it mean I actually don't enjoy it? Or do I just need the drug to lose my inhibitions in a crowd?

Also, I think a lot of INFPs get involved in the underground rave scene - doesn't matter the type of music, as long as it's not mainstream. It's more of a niche, usually has more intelligent people and there is almost always a hippy vibe in some way. I've always thought it would be quite the ideal scene for the INFP. Maybe I'm wrong. I personally love it. Not that I do it very much any more, because I tend to go too hard and it damages my health greatly. But the enjoyment factor is very real.
yes! I like to attend so-called underground gigs, with quirky dance music that people find hard to dance to, lol.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I can see how it would happen. While I personally would never dream of going to a club, certain stereotypically extrovert activities can sometimes appeal to me, very specific things usually, where I'm familiar with what's expected of me, I know exactly what's going on and exactly where my personal limitations are. If someone took me to a club one day (I'd have to be really drunk to agree, I think!), and it happened to be successful and everything went perfectly, then maybe who knows I might gain confidence in that area and be able to do that again. I'm not going to try it because more likely it would be a nightmare, but I wouldn't rule out a minority of INFPs enjoying it.

I've actually grown to like crowds, like crowds in a large city, I used to hate them but with experience I've learnt to enjoy the feeling of being lost in a sea of people. You can actually feel very alone in a crowd, you're not expected to interact just find your own way through, and that appeals to me as an introvert. I still don't like being in crowds with people I know though, because then things are expected of you and you've got all these distractions, but on my own in a crowd I can retreat in to myself and it's a unique feeling.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
In the US I typically find clubs yucky and unappealing (dirty, no places to sit, too loud for talking, uninvited grinding). But in northern Europe I really enjoyed clubbing! Most clubs I went to had great plush leather couches and tables, they were kept clean, and no one pushed their sweaty body up against mine, just a little accidental tight-crowd shoulder-bumping on the dance floor which is totally understandable and not uncomfortable to me. I typically went with a small group of friends and enjoyed it very much. We would alternate between drinking and talking about life and dancing. It was totally normal to go dance alone on the floor as well.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
For a little while I tried going to clubs and dancing. When I wasn't feeling too preposterous to dance, I went and boldly danced like a ferocious fool. Eventually I stopped, though (last time I did it the DJs really *seemed* to me to be puffing the fog directly at me to shoo me away).

I go to the odd club or bar or whatnot now whenever I hear about live bands that I'm interesting in hearing.

When the bands aren't playing, I read a book. ... people often look at me funny...

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
It's not for me but I'd imagine there'd be a few INFP's out there who enjoy it, especially if they like the sort of music playing in the club. One of my INFP friends likes to go out and get tipsy and dance to a certain kind of music. She doesn't do it every weekend, but once every month or so. Another one liked it more in her late teens/early 20's but as she got older it lost its appeal.
I'm pretty much what you described....

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
It's okay. I've only been twice. I like how it's too loud to talk to anyone. All you can do is move and get lost in everything - and then, when it's over, you can leave almost anonymously. So in that sense, it's nice.

The only thing I'd do differently is wear one of those mardi gras masks.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I mean that depends too on what you mean by clubbing. If it's a dance club, where people actually go there to enjoy the music and dance, sure. But if it's the kind of club where people just grind and try to get dicks/pussies, then no.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
In the US I typically find clubs yucky and unappealing (dirty, no places to sit, too loud for talking, uninvited grinding). But in northern Europe I really enjoyed clubbing! Most clubs I went to had great plush leather couches and tables, they were kept clean, and no one pushed their sweaty body up against mine, just a little accidental tight-crowd shoulder-bumping on the dance floor which is totally understandable and not uncomfortable to me. I typically went with a small group of friends and enjoyed it very much. We would alternate between drinking and talking about life and dancing. It was totally normal to go dance alone on the floor as well.
I was going to say exactly the same thing. Clubbing in Europe (I've done it in Eastern and more Central Europe actually) is actually fun. But it's more you go with a group and meet other groups which I like a whole lot better than going in a group and having to deal with a culture where, as a guy, I'm expected to basically hunt down girls. That's not really my thing.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I used to go to different clubs with my ENFP cousin.
Fun times were had! I still miss going clubbing. :(

but yeah, give me some alcohol and I become buffed with the "fun" status and all kinds of crazy stuff can happen! :3

I went to goth clubs/goth nights but mostly hung out at the gay bar. A few times I hung out at a metal bar.

I am definitely an introvert, but I love the energy of crowds, all that excitement is around me and I can't help but become excited too!

I was actually a regular at a gaming bar here in my city, though. That is so freaking awesome. Surrounded by old friends, making new friends every night, friendly, understanding staff, karaoke duets, delicious themed drinks, vidya games, tournaments, anime nights... the list goes on!

I just wish that club was closer.. but I'd spend almost all of my money there, probably. :(

·
Registered
INFP 5w6
1,341 Posts
Clubbing can be very fun, especially if the music resonates with you. I like how the music obscures efficient talking, adding more emphasis on movement and symbolism to communicate. When the lighting is dim it's great, it gives others and yourself anonymity, which for once feels like everyone is equal with only common goal - to have fun.

This environment entices me to express my tensions and fears, which yes are created by me, but are greatly brought on by the structure of society. So sometimes in the club my behaviour can seem erratic and charged but to me it's a physical manifestation of what's happening inside and sharing it with the world so to speak, which rarely happens. Highly therapeutic. But also the opposite has happened, I've drowned in my emotions and become dejected with everything. I've come to realise that this is okay to. Be sure to take a time out and attempt to realise your issue from a more optimistic perspective, arriving to a point where it becomes bearable to think about the moment again. Deal with it later. Carpe Diem.

I like Underground clubs the most, it tends to be spontaneous and wild. More often than not the people are just as atypical as you are, which is a stark difference to the pretentious clubs where people put on a front and act like they're having fun. Which to me is a waste of energy and time.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I like the IDEA of clubs more than the reality.

Loud music? Yeah!
Cool lights/ambience? Yeah!
Chance to go all out with clothes and makeup? Yeah!
Some tasty drinks? Yeah!
Possibility of meeting a potential romantic partner? Yeah!

Reality of a club.....NO!

"So you go and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home, and you cry and you want to die"

Okay, in reality, Im too much of a music snob to like the music in most clubs, especially since I dont live in a city.
Im bored of dancing after about 2-3 songs, can only afford/handle about 2 drinks, and am ready to leave after about 45 minutes.
It takes me longer to get dressed, I think....
And I never meet anyone, which is fine because it's probably meat market mentality anyway. Or people are in their little groups and it has this cliquish, teenage feel to it (yuck).

I like to go to small gigs though, because live music holds my attention longer and many of the other elements are the same. Dont do it as much now...its true, when you get older, you're just too tired :X.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts