·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: vel

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree with Sheena Iyengar. Choice is nice, but I can only actually choose between a small number of options. Many times I don't even care to choose, but would rather someone who knows something about it choose for me or make a recommendation, like if I am at a restaurant trying cuisine I am unfamiliar with. Having too many options can be very tedious, and might make me less satisfied with the end result. If it is a good choice, it doesn't have to be mine, especially concerning things of only marginal importance to me. I have felt many times that I don't want other people to know how I choose things because I don't want to craft my individuality from it. Exercising your individuality is surely great, but exercising it all the time is exhausting.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I think more along the lines of this guy: Barry Schwartz on the paradox of choice | Video on TED.com
This being paralyzed by choice feeling is very familiar to me. My strategy when shopping has been to isolate a few items I like and their location, then whenever I am in store I have this very complex puzzle of running around picking those items up. As a result choice gets somewhat lost on me and I tend to buy same proven things for months and even years.

·
Registered
112 Posts
hmm.. interesting responses, only a few so far but i still expected a similar viewpoint. i love choices! and making descisions!

i really don't ever like to be restricted in any way at all. gigantic unfamiliar menu's and supermarkets are like heaven for me, so many possibilities :laughing: that's probably why i love cooking even more than going out to eat. it's sort of a magical thing to treat every moment as a way to be creative... it's true though, that bit about it being exhausting to always express individuality. for me it's sort of the choice between exhausted and stale/stuck/numb.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm getting really fed up of having to choose things. Today for example we were going out and first I had to choose to go to the beach, then I had to choose which beach to go to when I really didn't care, so I felt a bit bad when we got there and the beach was about 2 miles from the car park and I felt it was my fault even though i didn't want to choose in the first place, then I got asked to choose whether to go out for meal or eat at home. I didn't even mind! Sometimes there can be too much choice. I want someone else to choose some things for me for a bit :eek:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts