Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is an INTJ, and who has a great sense of humor. Almost every time I am with him he has this unique behavior of going into comical 3rd person narrations about his actions or present situations. Either this or he suddenly takes on a bizarre, complex character and acts it out with a strange monologue. I suppose he does this whenever he feels an impulse to spice up the situation at hand, deflect awkward silences, or whenever something intrigues him...maybe other reason's too. One thing is certain - these are always the most hilarious moments of my day!

On the weekend we were at a lake, and he took out some skipping stones he had been saving, and as he advanced to the shore he broke into a 3rd person commentary in the style of a hush-voiced golf commentator, commenting on how he had been trained under some Swedish skipping master (had a hilarious name I can't remember), and had developed a technique second to none. The nuances were excellent.

So...is this typical of INTJs?

·
Registered
241 Posts
"typical of INTJs" I don't know, but I do it kinda often. Sometimes because I find the people around me to be acting stupid or shallow or just plain boring so I feel the need to act even stupider, but most of the times because I just have the suddent urge to do crazy shit and make them laugh. I did the "sport commentator" one a few times myself too haha. We even have a french saying for this behavior, amuser la galerie - can be translated as "entertaining the court", imo it describes it perfectly :wink:

·
Registered
92 Posts
In a broad sense, what is typical of INTJ is an off-beat or unusual sense of humor. We sometimes make jokes based upon references to obscure information - like 17th century literature. And nobody but the INTJ's get the joke. I can be downright silly. I have a set of false teeth I like to wear - at work no less!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In a broad sense, what is typical of INTJ is an off-beat or unusual sense of humor. We sometimes make jokes based upon references to obscure information - like 17th century literature. And nobody but the INTJ's get the joke. I can be downright silly. I have a set of false teeth I like to wear - at work no less!
Yes. I definitely am aware of the obscure references within the act. Sometimes the deftness and nuances in the impromptu acts of my INTJ friend add to the humor simply because of how mesmerized I am that he can be so quick and nuanced. It strikes me as interesting how at times INTJs seem reserved and unspontaneous, and at other times they unleash colorful strings of impromptu actions. I've sometimes thought, in the case of my friend, that he gets easily bored by conventional conversation and ordinary activity, and so in order to maintain his connection, he takes ordinary subjects and combines them with random material in a vivid orchestration. I love it. It staves off my ADD problems.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The title makes it sound like all INTJs do this.

I don't do this. I did, however, do this as child when playing with action figures like many other kids.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a friend who is an INTJ, and who has a great sense of humor. Almost every time I am with him he has this unique behavior of going into comical 3rd person narrations about his actions or present situations. Either this or he suddenly takes on a bizarre, complex character and acts it out with a strange monologue. I suppose he does this whenever he feels an impulse to spice up the situation at hand, deflect awkward silences, or whenever something intrigues him...maybe other reason's too. One thing is certain - these are always the most hilarious moments of my day!

On the weekend we were at a lake, and he took out some skipping stones he had been saving, and as he advanced to the shore he broke into a 3rd person commentary in the style of a hush-voiced golf commentator, commenting on how he had been trained under some Swedish skipping master (had a hilarious name I can't remember), and had developed a technique second to none. The nuances were excellent.

So...is this typical of INTJs?
I don't know any other INTJs outside of the internet. But I can say that I do the same thing. So maybe?

EDITED TO ADD: Judging from the thread trend so far, I'm guessing it's typical for an INTJ that's very in touch with their N/inner child.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Such behavior is not typical of this INTJ. Never done it. I agree with the post that claims INTJs have an offbeat sense of humor, though.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I have very few literature based jokes, let alone ones based on written works of the 17th century; Do I fail the INTJ test? :unsure:

Picking up on and exploiting mannerisms and weaving stuff like that back into new conversations recurrently is a source of much hilarity for me. I also love picking up on clever nauances or taking little bits of anecdotes/thoughts/observations and going on tangents with them. I utilize more cunning than creativity in my humor, but it certainly is fun.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Almost every time I am with him he has this unique behavior of going into comical 3rd person narrations about his actions or present situations. Either this or he suddenly takes on a bizarre, complex character and acts it out with a strange monologue. I suppose he does this whenever he feels an impulse to spice up the situation at hand, deflect awkward silences, or whenever something intrigues him...maybe other reason's too.
maybe he does this because he thinks his own 'character' is boring/not very entertaining, and he has developed this clever party trick to deflect attention away from this, and as a form of survival, perhaps even from his school days to avoid bullying etc

i dont do this really, i dont have the skill, but i do enjoy a good fancy dress party occasionally, a great excuse to assume another character in a social situation that i otherwise might not feel comfortable in - so maybe this is a similar thing

Reactions: lib

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Sounds like a defense mechanism. Most likely he does something clever with humor when time is being wasted not pursuing something useful and he is aware of the waste. Acting out ESFP shadow type. Don't pressure him to tell you whats wrong, because he won't tell you. If you really do want to know whats wrong just tell him you'll listen if he wants to tell you.

imo

1 - 20 of 50 Posts