Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this dream of graduating school, and living minimally until I can buy my own home. I don't want credit, its the doom of many people. (A real capital investment rather than that marketing b.s. that Realtors use to get people to buy from them.)

I always have this dream of having my own personal library. Just to myself, nobody to bother me. Every time I plan to sit down and read something comes up. UGHHGGHGHG:frustrating:

·
Banned
605 Posts
A digitally enhanced library is a major part of my dream home. It could be a small commune or something with that library as a component building. /shrug

Reactions: SquareWave

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm doing the exact same thing. Got a PhD, currenly working my sorry ass off to financial independence. I just had a talk with my manager:
"Hm, you worked 210 hours. That's quite a lot for October."
"No, that was for half of October, since October 14th".

:confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have this dream of graduating school, and living minimally until I can buy my own home. I don't want credit, its the doom of many people. (A real capital investment rather than that marketing b.s. that Realtors use to get people to buy from them.)

I always have this dream of having my own personal library. Just to myself, nobody to bother me. Every time I plan to sit down and read something comes up. UGHHGGHGHG:frustrating:
Yes, this is basically what I have in mind for my own life. I would also like a house similar to Diego's friend in "Children of Men". A nice, cozy place out in the country with a greenhouse and strawberry pot, lol.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I big colonial-style library with a bigass wooden executive desk where I can do my work in peace without having to worry about not having enough room.

Oh, and a baby grand piano.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I live in a 950-square foot condo and am in a highly "pared down" book mode. I moved in with about 60 boxes of books (I got rid of 35 boxes or so before I moved) and I've purchased quite a few titles since then... (five came in from Amazon just yesterday) three bookcases in the living room, 6 in the spare bedroom... "overflow" books on tables, stacked in chairs, night stands...

My first solo place was about 500 square feet--I had thirteen bookcases and several "extra" 4-foot tall stacks of books in there.

And as I am typing this, I am mentally planning where I can fit more bookcases....

...ooh books...

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have my library all worked out. It will look like a medieval monastery, with separate rooms for each Dewey number plus a tower on each corner with ramps for fiction, young adult fiction, kids fiction. I'll have appropriate physical items in the non fiction rooms. So the cookbooks (641.5) will be in an actual kitchen so you can try out the recipes and the car repair manuals (629.2) will be in a garage with a couple of junk cars to work on; astronomy books (520) will be in an observatory with a giant telescope. If I don't like a book it is ruthlessly eliminated, no matter what the reviewers say. Maybe I can have it in the INTJ village guarded by all the robots and tanks and scary weapons.

Getting over excited here. This is my favorite daydream, probably because I work in a public library, and I spend a lot of my time thinking how much better mine could be.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hope to build an Earthship. See Earthship Biotecture Sustainable Green Buildings - Earthship Biotecture.

It is self contained and fully off grid. You can grow your own food, you don't need AC or heating... and you grow your own garden inside your house.

I am saving my pennies for my Earthship. After I get it built, I will likely call Bank of Amerika up and tell them that I am no longer paying the mortgage on the POS stick twig house that I am currently living in and upside down in.

I will be totally debt free and able to live with few monthly bills, most of which will be optional (Just internet, cell phone and propane). No mortgage, no electric bills, no sewer or water bills. Just enough propane to cook with when the solar oven does not do the job.

I will have to have a library of course, and a workshop and a garage. While the library will be in the central home, the others will be built later... likely with walls made out of straw bales, or cob.

:happy:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I live in a 950-square foot condo and am in a highly "pared down" book mode. I moved in with about 60 boxes of books (I got rid of 35 boxes or so before I moved) and I've purchased quite a few titles since then... (five came in from Amazon just yesterday) three bookcases in the living room, 6 in the spare bedroom... "overflow" books on tables, stacked in chairs, night stands...

My first solo place was about 500 square feet--I had thirteen bookcases and several "extra" 4-foot tall stacks of books in there.

And as I am typing this, I am mentally planning where I can fit more bookcases....

...ooh books...
I lived with such a person. She had about at least 35 meters of book shelf space in my 70 square meter apartment. Now she is gone, I have quite some space left...

·
Registered
257 Posts
We have a four bedroom house for just the two of us. Master bedroom, guest bedroom, computer room and library. We have more than six standard size bookcases full of books (er, they should be full of books, which are mainly in piles on the floor), some of which are stacked two deep for paperbacks.

I've heard of libraries. What do you mean I have to give it back? I'm not in big trouble though - I've signed up on Paperbackswap and can now ditch books I didn't like in hopes of getting ones that I do.

As to content... I read a lot of SF&F, but also have historical fiction and non-fiction, and all kinds of books related to my hobbies, especially in my medieval group - medieval cookbooks, books on costume, music... I research things to death, whether it's crafts like that, or for the background of a new roleplaying character, or just because I read a little bit about Queen Victoria's daughters and now want to find all of the non-price prohibitive books I can.

Did I just overshare?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts