Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so, for a while I've been posting ads about the place, looking for website designers, article writers, app creators, whatever! I post a vague ad, for example, looking for a website. One ad on craigslist in let's say New York = about 150 applicants, no joke. Basically saying:

"I need a website designed. Email me with some work you've done, the price you're looking for and I'll give you the details of what I need created" or something.

And then I either find someone looking for a website designer in ads like mine or go onto websites like elance or odesk and advertise myself, saying I know this and that (and basically boasting the talents of what the hundreds of people contact me claim to have). Then when I get the job, I contact those who showed me all their amazing work an I have so much talent to choose from (the examples that aren't copyrighted are showed as my own work to prospective employers.....) and tell them they got the job and what to do. They go off to work, let's say there's a fixed price of $150 dollars that I'm getting offered, I'll give them 75 if I'm greedy enough for 50% commission. So for absolutely no work, I just made $75.

Unethical or just plain genius? :wink:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
This is already an entire industry. The only unethical part is saying that you are the person doing the work. If you call yourself something like "a job placement consultant" or " an IT skills recruiter" then it will not be unethical and you will increase your marketability if you ever decide to work for one of the many larger corporations that do this as their bread and butter.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Okay so, for a while I've been posting ads about the place, looking for website designers, article writers, app creators, whatever! I post a vague ad, for example, looking for a website. One ad on craigslist in let's say New York = about 150 applicants, no joke. Basically saying:

"I need a website designed. Email me with some work you've done, the price you're looking for and I'll give you the details of what I need created" or something.

And then I either find someone looking for a website designer in ads like mine or go onto websites like elance or odesk and advertise myself, saying I know this and that (and basically boasting the talents of what the hundreds of people contact me claim to have). Then when I get the job, I contact those who showed me all their amazing work an I have so much talent to choose from (the examples that aren't copyrighted are showed as my own work to prospective employers.....) and tell them they got the job and what to do. They go off to work, let's say there's a fixed price of $150 dollars that I'm getting offered, I'll give them 75 if I'm greedy enough for 50% commission. So for absolutely no work, I just made $75.

Either way, I'm stealing it. :wink:

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is already an entire industry. The only unethical part is saying that you are the person doing the work. If you call yourself something like "a job placement consultant" or " an IT skills recruiter" then it will not be unethical and you will increase your marketability if you ever decide to work for one of the many larger corporations that do this as their bread and butter.
Now why would I exert myself like that? I'm not going to call myself anything, in fear of being called the middleman instead.

The whole point is minimum work. I already have a bloody job (two bloody jobs if you count ebay selling as one) + homework to do.

@aces88

^and again.

I've seen people come to me with their own "companies" of web designers, they had tacky websites and mixed talent, whereas I was always impressed by the freelance designers and knew exactly what to expect from them by seeing their work.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts

no, it's called capitalism.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
The only unethical part are the lies. That, however, can be alleviated with phrasing.

"I can provide a website to these specifications."

Discuss what you have to offer, rather than claiming enormous technical talent as something you personally possess. Then it's simply a matter of being honest in how you provide the services. Let's say one web-designer doesn't deliver good product, an honest business owner would find another designer to complete the job to specs, even if that means making no money or losing money.

Priority #1 is customer service. If you can provide that, then you're actually helping both ends of the situation.

Often, people with technical talent lack customer service skills. I can design web pages, and do all sorts of detailed programming... but I almost never do it. Why? Because it involves dealing with a customer and making them happy. I hate doing that when it comes to technical stuff. I get lost in jargon, and they fail to understand why doing one thing is more expensive than something I consider to be simple.

The pros who do it for a living, almost invariably have customer service skills as their forte, because that's more important than the technical skills... unless you're working on a huge, complex site that has a staff just to manage it. But that's obviously a different beast.

I'll also just add that at those prices, people can't complain too much if their website isn't perfect.

Recently, I priced an information overhaul plus some scripting to post job openings, at $900. It did involve two or three meetings with them, which included some driving. Little to no design work, I hate graphics art.

·
ѕησωум¢ѕησωƒα¢є
4,292 Posts
If you have to ask...

Actually, the main problem with this idea is that revisions are part of the equation - so at the very least you have to pay the person on the other end to do the revisions which erodes your profit margin and time very quickly.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
One of the tidbits of economics I've learned while playing Eve. Where there's a commission to be made, the more people who deal in the commission, the better priced the market becomes, usually at both ends. And then the commission becomes tighter. Eventually, those most efficient at getting the commission remain in the business; others are weeded out because it's not worth their time.

In this way, it can be seen as an economically desired service. If more people did it, the web designers would end up having more demand for their services, and they would get better pay. Then at the other end, those in need would get cheaper websites.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
This already exists, but its done slightly different (and more ethical because it has more transparency). Its essentially headhunting for independent consultants/contractors and subject matter experts (SMEs).

Basically, an HR person who works at home finds people who are good at X skill, keeps them in their "inventory" and lets them know when projects open up and tries to staff them to them.

The difference is, its not web design, but its enterprise stuff like PMP, Siebel, Six Sigma, ITIL, PeopleSoft, etc. And commission is $1500-$2500ish.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

That is genius!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well its good on paper. However you do run the risk of lots of legwork if the customer is very picky or the designer is slow to respond or very opinionated. So if you don't like with dealing with people problems, escape while you can. Success can be a problem to, if you start making decent money "big brother" is gonna want his slice of the pie.

I do think lying isn't a good option especially if you have designers that you use repeatedly, they'll know something is amiss or if your customer decides to post on craigslist or whatever places you decided to post as well and discovers the scheme. Just one of those comments on your profile can destroy your credibility, no one likes feeling doped even if they get a nice result. If you decide to use that strategy be very careful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.