Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This took place a few months ago.

I'm exiting a store. Four employees are outside the store having their break.

As I walk the door, one male employe says to one female employe: "[...] if you can't avoid it, enjoy it".

I kept walking but something about that phrase immediatelly striked me, and the next thing I felt is that there is something latent that is very, very wrong about it. I felt anger. I didn't knew the context that the phrase was used in, and it's a phrase I've heard it a number of times before, but this time it was different.

And then I realized it.

I walked back, looked at the girl, paused, and told her: "here's what he told you - not only I'm going to force you do it, but I'm also going to force you to like it". I watched her face going from oblivious to contemplative, I felt really satisfied, I smiled at her, and then walked away.

That scene made my day :cool:

I'm tracing this to Ne recieving a signal and then Fi stepping in to save the day: I felt that something wrong has been done, an underground manipulation took place, so I stepped in and said what needed to be said.

Your answers matter because I'm trying to determine my preferances. I can attribute some of my motive behind it to the Enneagram 1w9. I can be such a fanatic!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
That's kinda brave of you :D I wouldn't have the courage to do anything similar (but maybe you're living in a more extroverted country than me).

Did you speak up because you wanted to help the girl in some way or just for your own ego/amusement?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's both.

I wouldn't feel right if the girl stayed with that manipulative (in my view) line. I wouldn't like it if she didn't had a chance to see the truth behind the words (at least my view on the truth - all that I offered to her was another perspective). And of cource it felt good that I said that in the open.

miyachanfan said:
That's kinda brave of you :D
That's why it felt good :D It's because I speak up and because I corrected something that seemed wrong in my eyes: manipulation and having the truth behind the words remain hidden.

My ultimate benefit is one step forward to a world without manipulation. And that's also a satisfaction :wink:

But I think that even when I act on altruism it's actually egoistic. It's meant to satisfy me and bring me one step forward to my adgenda :laughing:

That's Fi, isn't it?

I actually live in a pretty extraverted country. Mediterranean!

Also, thank you, I take that as a compliment :D

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My ultimate benefit is one step forward to a world without manipulation. And that's also a satisfaction :wink:

Awww you've got aspirations! :D I really wish it was possible, but manipulation is part of who we are. We usually don't mean the other person/people any harm, we just want to get maximum happiness while we're alive. There are so many shades and gradations of it.

But I think that even when I act on altruism it's actually egoistic. It's meant to satisfy me and bring me one step forward to my adgenda :laughing:

That's Fi, isn't it?

I think that's the ego, not Fi. I don't think you'll ever find a (living?) person who does something good 100% for others and not even 0,0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 for himself.
I think you have done the right thing, whether or not it seems more egoistic than altruistic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
miyachanfan said:
[...] manipulation is part of who we are. We usually don't mean the other person/people any harm, we just want to get maximum happiness while we're alive. There are so many shades and gradations of it.
It's part of what we do.

I think we manipulate people because we don't have the courage to say "this is what I want" with all the consequences it'll have: disagreement, conflict, rejection, and so on.

I certainly manipulate people. For the times I realize it, I generally feel bad about it - I can't get myself to do it without a feeling of throwing up. I hate it when I "have" to do it because there is no other way not to "lose" from the situation. So, to hell with you, other guy! It's gonna be me who'll win!

miyachanfan said:
I don't think you'll ever find a (living?) person who does something good 100% for others and not even 0,0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 for himself.
I think you have done the right thing, whether or not it seems more egoistic than altruistic.
As it should be :wink:

roque said:
Don't know about Fi, since I'm trying to determine whether I use it or not myself, but my lord, that guy sounds like a skeeze. Good on you for speaking up, really.
Well, to be objective here, since I didn't listen to the whole conversation, he might have said that line for something that someone else did to her, or for something that happened to her (circumstances).

From his tone, I'm more inclined for the second, but I don't really know. I was aiming to strike the quote, not the guy.

Lets wait and see if someone has an insight on whether this is Fi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts