Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I read a post, I liked it because it made me think, that said something like:

The INFP forum is loaded with Fe users...

...and they said it's not really a good place to identify real INFPs.

So my question is... A forum full of Fe users, what is the main characteristic?

The statement was just this person's opinion, but I thought it interesting.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
OK, I am trying to understand functions a little better and I looked up Fe and I can understand why someone might say that the INFP forum has a lot of Fe users. However, I think it may be difficult to judge Fe on an internet forum because we aren't all looking at each other. We feel more anonymous and therefore feel freer to connect with other people and talk to them. I know that I might come across as a Fe user on here because I find myself often exuding empathy and trying to connect with others. But my daily life, I don't do this with strangers. Plus, I have volunteered at a crisis line for over 6 years and learned a lot about connecting with people's feelings and reaching out to people. It's been a long road for me, I never was like this before the crisis line. Also, I am perhaps older than the average PerC user (32) so I have more experience connecting with others and showing empathy. Add all this together, and I think that even though I'm an INFP, I could come across as Fe dominant on an internet forum or on a crisis line because I feel anonymous and no one is looking at me. I feel more comfortable expressing my feelings in these types of settings.

That's my semi-uneducated take on it. As I said, I've been putting off learning about the functions for a while, and only just started to study up on them. So I could be off base. Not sure.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Because of my type 6 I get called a Fe user.

To that I reply: Wanting to please others as an extroverted motivation is different than wanting others to be pleased with us as an introverted motivation.

I don't necessarily want the group to be happy.

I value peace and truth equally.

A Fi user carefully chooses their values (although the emotional system chooses what it wants separately), and a Fi user might equally appreciate Peace and Truth.

Fe users put Peace ahead of Truth (term is ambiguous without further discussion) most of the time.

A Fi user will put whatever value ahead of Peace.

For Fe it is almost as if Peace comes as a value.

For Fi, it is almost like "having to choose a value" is the real value.

*shrugs maybe

·
Registered
27 Posts
OK, I am trying to understand functions a little better and I looked up Fe and I can understand why someone might say that the INFP forum has a lot of Fe users. However, I think it may be difficult to judge Fe on an internet forum because we aren't all looking at each other. We feel more anonymous and therefore feel freer to connect with other people and talk to them. I know that I might come across as a Fe user on here because I find myself often exuding empathy and trying to connect with others. But my daily life, I don't do this with strangers. I feel more comfortable expressing my feelings in these types of settings.
I couldn't have said it any better. :happy:

·
Banned
748 Posts
I think a lot of 'INFPs' may have a fear of conflict that is so big that they have become very conformist in order to avoid it, creating (the illusion of) socialness.

Another thing is what @ethylester mentioned; internet anonymity. Fe is prone to self-disclosure, while Fi keeps things to itself (cautiously (?)). Here, we're not only anonymous, but surrounded by more like-minded people, so a large barrier to self-disclosure disappears and we feel safer and more free.

·
Registered
528 Posts
it is hard to know if someone uses fe or fi from the internet. so I'm not sure. but I do get the feeling that many choose their type without really looking into the cognitive functions. I know I did, as I mistyped as an INFJ at first. and it sort of creates a bad spiral if mistyped people make other people mistype as they relate to the other mistyped people on a forum. I'm probably not making any sense :p

but I tend to see that we talk more about our different values here than on the other forums, which seems like a fi thing to do.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yesterday I read a post, I liked it because it made me think, that said something like:
The INFP forum is loaded with Fe users...
...and they said it's not really a good place to identify real INFPs.
So my question is... A forum full of Fe users, what is the main characteristic?
The statement was just this person's opinion, but I thought it interesting.
As Fi users though, we'd still be expected to have better at least quasi-fe than, say, an ESTJ. Maybe?
OK, I am trying to understand functions a little better and I looked up Fe and I can understand why someone might say that the INFP forum has a lot of Fe users. However, I think it may be difficult to judge Fe on an internet forum because we aren't all looking at each other. We feel more anonymous and therefore feel freer to connect with other people and talk to them. I know that I might come across as a Fe user on here because I find myself often exuding empathy and trying to connect with others. But my daily life, I don't do this with strangers. Plus, I have volunteered at a crisis line for over 6 years and learned a lot about connecting with people's feelings and reaching out to people. It's been a long road for me, I never was like this before the crisis line. Also, I am perhaps older than the average PerC user (32) so I have more experience connecting with others and showing empathy. Add all this together, and I think that even though I'm an INFP, I could come across as Fe dominant on an internet forum or on a crisis line because I feel anonymous and no one is looking at me. I feel more comfortable expressing my feelings in these types of settings.
That's my semi-uneducated take on it. As I said, I've been putting off learning about the functions for a while, and only just started to study up on them. So I could be off base. Not sure.
Because of my type 6 I get called a Fe user.
To that I reply: Wanting to please others as an extroverted motivation is different than wanting others to be pleased with us as an introverted motivation.
I don't necessarily want the group to be happy.
I value peace and truth equally.
A Fi user carefully chooses their values (although the emotional system chooses what it wants separately), and a Fi user might equally appreciate Peace and Truth.
Fe users put Peace ahead of Truth (term is ambiguous without further discussion) most of the time.
A Fi user will put whatever value ahead of Peace.
For Fe it is almost as if Peace comes as a value.
For Fi, it is almost like "having to choose a value" is the real value.
*shrugs maybe
I think a lot of 'INFPs' may have a fear of conflict that is so big that they have become very conformist in order to avoid it, creating (the illusion of) socialness.
Another thing is what @ethylester mentioned; internet anonymity. Fe is prone to self-disclosure, while Fi keeps things to itself (cautiously (?)). Here, we're not only anonymous, but surrounded by more like-minded people, so a large barrier to self-disclosure disappears and we feel safer and more free.
it is hard to know if someone uses fe or fi from the internet. so I'm not sure. but I do get the feeling that many choose their type without really looking into the cognitive functions. I know I did, as I mistyped as an INFJ at first. and it sort of creates a bad spiral if mistyped people make other people mistype as they relate to the other mistyped people on a forum. I'm probably not making any sense :p
but I tend to see that we talk more about our different values here than on the other forums, which seems like a fi thing to do.
-----Wow. Awesome insights, all of you.
-----I would say that Fi probably appears Fe-ish to Ti and Te. Fi is after all, still people-oriented. The values I defend for myself, I will also respect and defend in others. In other words, I will defend the individuality and individual rights of others. Something like, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Evelyn Beatrice Hall (not Voltaire), really rings true for me.
-----Also, I'm a Type-9 (with Type-2 as a close second). That probably makes me look Fe-ish to INFPs of other Enneagram types.
-----But ask a true Fe user whether I'm a Fe user. Heh. Let's just say my fellow Fi users are the only ones who might see Fe in me.
-----I've just recently written up some posts on this issue, but I'll summarize it like this: Fe is the Constitution; Fi is the Bill of Rights. Ultimately, civilization requires a balance of group (for function) and the individual (for many reasons). At one extreme (the ultimate extreme Fe) is Totalitarianism/Fascism and at the other extreme (the ultimate extreme Fi) is Anarchy/Chaos. There is a reasonable range of overlap, requiring compromise from both sides, that results in a democratic society (majority rules) with protection for the individual (minority/individual protection). The conflict between Fi and Fe is, in my opinion, 100% necessary to balance civilization. Utopia, were it possible, is the balance between dystopia and apocalypse.
-----Consider checking this out: Understanding Berens' Interaction Styles.
-----Finally, here's the thing about INFPs and understanding Fe: it takes our inferior function to understand Fe. In an INFP, Fi naturally opposes Fe if the INFP has not developed his/her Te. Because we feel feelings internally, how the heck are we supposed to understand how someone can feel feelings externally--if we try to use our feeling function to understand? Do you see the problem? If the INFP has suppressed Te, distrusts it, or Te is underdeveloped, there is still going to be a problem. However, if the INFP has well-developed Te, s/he can come to an academic understanding of Fe, and from that academic understanding feel its value (Fi). But relying on Fi alone to understand Fe isn't going to work--maybe it can't.
-----We use the outside perspective to determine what/how we should think (Te) and we use the internal perspective to determine what to feel (Fi)--what the value is of outside perspective. Fe users use the outside perspective to determine what/how they should feel (Fe), and use the internal perspective to determine what to think (Ti)--what the proper way to behave is based on the outside perspective. Fi = "I feel. We think." Fe = "We feel. I think." That is my understanding. My understanding of Fi is feeling-based (I naturally see the value), and my understanding of Fe is thinking-based/academic (synthesized from outside sources).
~~~~----~~~~----~~~~
-----Here's some supporting information on Te from @Psilo:
----You also must understand that as an inferior function that the other functions will drown out Te's voice unless you try to hear it, and at times INFPs may be very disorganized and not realize right off the bat the logical consequences of their actions. Inferior functions are typically very protected to the individual, and an INFP may be reluctant to start their Te up due to this and also a fear of screwing up or a fear of failure, and inferior functions are usually difficult to use for people which is where this fear would come from with Te being inferior. [. . . .]
----When Te is at an immature level of use in INFPs it will be a last resort. Once everything else fails then it will take them over until their problem is resolved. It could be compared to stopping a pipe from bursting. The more water that is in the pipe, the more water being pumped, the more strained the pipe gets. Eventually if the water pressure isn't lowered the pipe will explode, letting everything out. In these Te outbursts the INFP will often justify everything they say and how they feel, trying to feel self assured. This can lead to Te actually being illogical due to the quest for wanting the self assurance for their Fi, they will find false logic in things just to make themselves feel good. INFPs may also avoid even touching Te, they will avoid any bit of logical reasoning that threatens their Fi in hopes of not getting negative feelings.
----For INFPs by INFPs.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I'd say you'd know the difference by understanding the difference between sympathy and empathy, that's respectively Fe vs Fi. Also, again generalizing, an Fe reaction would be something like "Awh, that's painful", Fi would be more like "Awh, I can feel your pain, I've been through something similar before".

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thank you everyone who replied. I'm trying very hard to learn that Fe is a needed function. Pretty much it just irritates me. Seems pushy and all up in my face.
-----LOL. That is our instinctive bias.
-----I admire your quest for understanding. And I hope that any Fe users reading your post understand that you are not being judgmental--just stating your perspective--as you are entitled to do.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm still entertaining my theory that in our head space, we are Fe. A forum is naturally in written form so we are in a way in introspection whilst communicating with others here. In other words: interacting in a forum doesn't feel the same than interacting face to face; it's more like interacting with one's own thoughts; having the time to think and revise our posts.

We INFPs become more mushy feely online. I wonder what personality type has the propensity of becoming a troll; maybe just an unhealthy kind of a personality, but not a type.

I'm quite shy in person, but in here I can say things like: Heyyyy! Loook at mee! Group Hug anyone? Yayy I'm pretty fly for a infp-guy! *shyly sits down again*

P.S. But seriously. Group hugs. Pretty awesome. They are. :)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
OK, I am trying to understand functions a little better and I looked up Fe and I can understand why someone might say that the INFP forum has a lot of Fe users. However, I think it may be difficult to judge Fe on an internet forum because we aren't all looking at each other. We feel more anonymous and therefore feel freer to connect with other people and talk to them. I know that I might come across as a Fe user on here because I find myself often exuding empathy and trying to connect with others. But my daily life, I don't do this with strangers.
This is so very much me as well. I know I come across differently online (not drastically, but somewhat for sure) than I do in person, and it extends beyond just the Fi/Fe issue. I'm a lot more open online, a good deal more extroverted, often a lot bolder and most definitely a lot more positive than I am in person. I'm very private and introverted, extremely non-assertive and am generally a rather cynical and pessimistic person in real life. I try not to show some of the negativity online because I don't want to come across as unlikeable or a drain on people's energy. Possibly also because I'm trying to escape my own feelings; being chronically depressed for the last 15 years (at least), I've taken to using the internet to cheer myself up and distract myself. (Possibly I do this too much, as I can get lost in the online world all day and ignore my real life.) Also, if I'm looking to connect with people, the internet seems "safer" and less of a risk somehow, so it gives me the courage to be more assertive with others.

Anyway, basically, the "me" that comes across on here, while not a lie in any sense at all, is not always the "me" that you'd see if you were here with me in person.

I wonder how common this is, really...? I just find that people tend to put forward certain sides of themselves online that gives an unbalanced picture of their actual personality.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I think the misconception about having a difficult time discerning Fi from Fe comes from focusing too much on the socializing aspect. In that sense, I agree to an extent with @Lachesis, a forum on itself seems Fe because people come together to discuss stuff, so if one primarily thinks of the socializing aspect, all F = Fe. I also imagine that users who have Fx as a third or inferior probably have a more difficult time understanding the difference between Fe and Fi.

It is actually quite simple, under the condition that one understands the difference between an outward and inward attitude of a function.

That being said, I have this hunch that most people here on the INFP forums are actually more Fi users than Fe. Also I'm considering the possibility that my Fe is actually stronger than Fi. But that's a story for a different thread, for a different topic, for a different time. ^^

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm still entertaining my theory that in our head space, we are Fe. A forum is naturally in written form so we are in a way in introspection whilst communicating with others here. In other words: interacting in a forum doesn't feel the same than interacting face to face; it's more like interacting with one's own thoughts; having the time to think and revise our posts.
YES. This as well, for sure. I love the opportunity for introspection that a forum provides; often for me, it's more about getting more in touch with myself than it is about connecting with others.

·
Registered
917 Posts
at a guess i'd say that fe may well show strongly online for a couple reasons, a lot of fi users will have a fairly strong fe as well, fi is just stronger than fe.

On the internet the defensive wall a lot of infp's put up are relaxed and so lower than usual, this means the more introverted and shy amongst us (im definatly in that group) are less introverted and more extroverted than usual so we are being more open with our feelings (we feel safer as we are somewhat anonimous and on these forums feel we are in company who can actually understand us) as a result we seem more extroverted which may well look more like fe than fi

I'd say you'd know the difference by understanding the difference between sympathy and empathy, that's respectively Fe vs Fi. Also, again generalizing, an Fe reaction would be something like "Awh, that's painful", Fi would be more like "Awh, I can feel your pain, I've been through something similar before".
i think this is a really good way to help differentiate betwene fe and fi, don't look at what we're saying, look at how we say it, the phrasing more than than the words may be a better way to show fi vs fe

·
Banned
600 Posts
Also I'm considering the possibility that my Fe is actually stronger than Fi. But that's a story for a different thread, for a different topic, for a different time. ^^

Just kidding. :proud:

My greatest bias is against Fe sadly. Like @Geoffrey said, E2 and 9 appear Fe-like and it gets irksome after some time when people assume "A 2? Must be using Fe". :rolleyes:

Not much to say, other posts have hit the nail on the head already in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was interested in what my latest Fe score was. I show limited use of Fe & quite honestly, limited tolerance. Here's the results from this thread - http://personalitycafe.com/infp-for...-functions-enneagram-types-3.html#post2267252

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se)* ********************************(30.3)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si)* ***************************(25.9)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne)* ********************************************(42.7)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni)* ****************************(26)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te)* *******************(17.9)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti)* *********************(19)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe)* *******************(17)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi)* ************************************************** *************(61)
excellent use

1 - 20 of 77 Posts