Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to refer to myself in the third person apparently. I did a lot of researching and found a lot of what different people had to say about the ENFP-INFP gap and bringing attention to this one.

Outside of the demeanor differences which mainly stem from I/E differences, I find a few differences in thinking as well.

Leading with Ne, an irrational process, I find ENFPs less likely to introspect as deeply on matters, quicker to jump to conclusions, and have less restriction on their whims, which can get them into trouble (both in what they say & do). On a positive note, they are less likely to hesitate when new positive opportunities arise & don't over-think to the point of being inhibited.

Leading with Fi, a rational process, INFPs tend to be more introspective, filtering their intuition in search of what is truly significant & meaningful. This basically makes them less prolific with ideas, or at least in expressing or realizing them. It also adds a level of being inhibited. I definitely would not say INFPs are less open to newness (in some areas, I find myself MORE open than some ENFPs I know because it boils down to a matter of values), but simply more judicious. This can actually make an INFP more responsible & grounded than ENFPs in some ways; the Ne whims are checked by a Fi sifting of importance. As a downside, it may inhibit the INFP to be overly cautious, not because they are not drawn to novelty, but because they see the negatives too easily & have over-thought it.

With Te as tertiary, ENFPs can have a bossy streak, can state opinions more strongly than they even feel, but can also be exceptional at impromptu organization & leadership. INFPs will appear more easy-going. But they have Te as inferior, which leads to a weird critical, perfectionism that pops up under stress or when the INFP has deemed something important.

Inferior Si in ENFPs seems to result in bouts of sappy nostalgia and fear of change when under stress, both of which are atypical of ENFPs since it's not an everyday mentality for them. I see this less often in INFPs. Tertiary Si in INFP results in these great moments of being grounded, which for the "ultimate idealist" is rather priceless. As mentioned above, there is an aspect of caution that anchors Ne to avoid rash decisions. The past lessons come to mind, and the INFP makes better decisions, being both aware of the past trends & future possibilities. Si also works creatively for INFPs, which means there's out-of-character attention to detail, especially in creative projects or the INFPs' "causes". On a negative note, this occasionally makes an INFPs' work seem heavy-handed & overwrought.

@OrangedAppled 's post was interesting as I'm more ENFP on all those notes. I tend to bring up Si (a detailed view of the past) in sappy moments of nostalgia. Due to recently being diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, the sappy moments are frequent, but it's never a positive 'thing that keeps me grounded', it's more of a negative thing that keeps me running toward and from things if anything. I use Te and state, what I wouldn't call opinion, strongly at times and rarely do I appear easy going and under stress, I'm more so easy going and humoring to get out lol

I do see negatives very easily, but then again that's a common (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) trait. And so is perfectionism. The weird thing is, I introspect heavily but it always seems to be on people and concepts surrounding things that have happened recently and socially.

I thought this may be an interesting area of discussion as I'm getting confused about my type all over again. And as someone who is INFP and 'doesn't jump to conclusions'.. damn, do I jump to conclusions a lot. lol

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.