Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I give myself a subject - and understand it's inner mechanics, such as a meme. My mind rapidly sifts through a seemingly infinite database of unrelated images and words, mixing and matching as it goes until I find the perfect one - all seemingly random. The ones in between are usually failures or 'okay' ideas that I either write down or ignore.

Then when I find the right idea that is clever and funny, I settle down with it and refine it until I find the exact wording, so as to convey the message with it's full intent.

I had to define my own process here and see if this is what was happening for sure. I've read up on the cogfuncts for ENTP relentlessly and still am left confused with a bunch of contradicting information.

Also, is it odd for an ENTP to be primarily Ti, or is it possible I may be mistaken?

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I give myself a subject - and understand it's inner mechanics, such as a meme. My mind rapidly sifts through a seemingly infinite database of unrelated images and words, mixing and matching as it goes until I find the perfect one - all seemingly random. The ones in between are usually failures or 'okay' ideas that I either write down or ignore.

Then when I find the right idea that is clever and funny, I settle down with it and refine it until I find the exact wording, so as to convey the message with it's full intent.

I had to define my own process here and see if this is what was happening for sure. I've read up on the cogfuncts for ENTP relentlessly and still am left confused with a bunch of contradicting information.

Also, is it odd for an ENTP to be primarily Ti, or is it possible I may be mistaken?
Yes, but it's almost automatic when I do it; like, lightspeed connections. When my conscious mind starts catching up with my intuition... that's when I start having fun. :wink:

I test slightly higher on Ti than I do on Ne, but I also test much, much higher on Fe than I do on Si. The tests won't give you a 100% perfect description of your functions, but if you take a look at your inferior function, that will tell you a lot more than the dominant/auxiliary (it's easier to get those two mixed up, much less likely you're going to score highly on your inferior).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump, i'd like to hear some other perspectives here. wrote this during low traffic hours.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Pretty much what Dark Romantic is saying. If you see a meme, like let's say "All your base are belong to us", and after the initial chuckle, you start to play with different pictures like basement cat and ceiling cat, go from there to some political idea, to a play on words like "all your bays are belong to us", and end up wiki-ing space invaders, or the source of the meme, that's Ne at work.

As you sort through, a couple ideas seem stronger, and some seem weaker. That's Ti at work, sifting out the promising bits.

As an entp, it can seem like you do a lot of Ti if most of what comes across your lap requires discernment, much as you could get a lot more Fe if you deal with people all the time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
@chittychitty LightNING this is kinda how I see it...

First Ne - allows the ENTP to effortlessly identify complex interrelationships between ideas, people, and things that are often invisible to most other personality types.

Then our.....

Ti - Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. It notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency. In the ENTP, Ti analyzes the constant stream of information that Ne provides. Ti develops structure and reconciles any inconsistencies in the ENTP's belief system

Basically Ti makes sense of our Ne which will guide our decision making process.

You should note that ENTP's preference is to process on the right brain hemisphere. This means.....

Linear vs. Holistic Processing

Left brain: The left side of the brain processes information in a linear manner. It process from part to whole. It takes pieces, lines them up, and arranges them in a logical order; then it draws conclusions.

Right Brain: The right brain, however, processes from whole to part, holistically. It starts with the answer. It sees the big picture first, not the details. Right brain needs to know why you are doing something or the end goal first. A left brain person would do well to use this process as it generally aids a deeper understanding.

If you're learning a subject for example and want to use your Ne Ti to advantage, skim read through the material first so you get the general idea, you don't have to fully understand at this point just the overall big picture then go back and read it section by section. Your Ne / Ti will then work to see how each section fits into the big picture.

I agree with @Dark Romantic its a really fast process all the pieces of the puzzle just fit without even really trying.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Jojo354 ,

I've never given deliberate practice into learning with Ne + Ti. I'd really like to hear more on deliberate use. When I read wiki, if I'm really into the topic I'll read it line-by-line (until it gets boring), otherwise it's usually so boring I have to scan for keywords that will catch my interest. If all this fails, I move on and find something else to do.

So I take it speed reading (Spreeder, etc) is a valuable tool for Ne+Ti'ers? Also I'll take any more information you have on practiced use of the two main functions at work.

@bellisaurius ,

Well, I don't think I cross-reference two different memes - rather I stay within the confines of a particular one and explore the possibilities therein - or adhere to the mechanics of the given meme. Not to say I do not venture outside if I can, it's just not usually my choice where my imagination takes me.

Honestly I'd like to hear more examples of the Ne+Ti process in any given situation. I've read the explanations of all of the cognitive functions, but they all seem ambiguous and contradicting, which makes it hard to accept one or the other.

EDIT: Also apparently I am testing Ni on cogfunct tests, but also Ti. I'm afraid I don't understand - I was under the assumption that Ni Ti were not compatible..

Reactions: LimeDegree

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
@Jojo354 ,

I've never given deliberate practice into learning with Ne + Ti. I'd really like to hear more on deliberate use. When I read wiki, if I'm really into the topic I'll read it line-by-line (until it gets boring), otherwise it's usually so boring I have to scan for keywords that will catch my interest. If all this fails, I move on and find something else to do.

So I take it speed reading (Spreeder, etc) is a valuable tool for Ne+Ti'ers? Also I'll take any more information you have on practiced use of the two main functions at work.
Not speed reading, but skimming. Just kinda get the gist of what the chapter is about, read headings, maybe the first and last paragraph of each section.

Also, I know for me that I have a hard time filling things out in order. I almost always skip around when filling out surveys or tests, I let my Ne guide me to what seems interesting, for when it's interesting I will pay attention!

Ne: Hey, do this!
Ti: No that's retarded
Ne: but do this!
Ti: that's also retarded
Ne: what about this?
Ti: retarded
Si: Get to work
Ti: OK
Ne: nah do this
Ti: Retarded, but just for one second
Fe:You need to talk to your friends
Ti:OK, quickly
Si: You are 2 hours off schedule, get back to work
Ti:OK
Every day of my life. However, sometimes I can get Ti to shut up for a bit... it's Si that likes to creep in and bug me — especially when school is in session.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also, I know for me that I have a hard time filling things out in order. I almost always skip around when filling out surveys or tests, I let my Ne guide me to what seems interesting, for when it's interesting I will pay attention!
I do this all the time, if I have a list of 10 jobs I need to do I will start them all off (not in order) then just flit from one to the other until I lose interest. I end up finishing about 5, with 5 half done.

Even when I start reading a book, I always read the last two pages first. Never really knew why, it was just a habit I've had since being a kid. I think I sussed out early on it helps me figure out the story & characters a lot faster.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Is this Ne-Ti humor; I looked out my window and noticed smoke on the horizon a few miles away and I said "Either Billy Joel started the fire or were under attack by North Korea, either way we need Toto to bless the rains to put it out" What's funny is I am 20 years old, so my friends are my age and didn't get the references, now I sound like a Billy Joel fan, which I am not. My music knowledge comes from Scrubs and that guy down the block who still dresses like its 1985, aka my father.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I mean, when my Ne is at work, I don't see random images or words trying to connect. It kind of just happens, get a cool idea, get a cool idea from my cool idea and then the cool ideas are like BRO U KEWL; then the cool ideas Digimorph into something that's legendary. The Ti defines the cool factor, the Ne has totally random shit running around with cartoon legs. It's not as systemized as the original post may suggest.

Although, my Ne tests a fair bit higher than my Ti, so that could just be me.

Reactions: possiBri

·
Registered
386 Posts
EDIT: Also apparently I am testing Ni on cogfunct tests, but also Ti. I'm afraid I don't understand - I was under the assumption that Ni Ti were not compatible..
Over the years, I've come to rely on what they call Ni quite often. It's like having an additional set of teeth to chew up intellectual food.

My Ne is merely what I rely on for dealing with people. I turn over possible reactions I can get from a variety of situations, and settle on one either randomly, or in an attempt to elicit a particular response. This produces some truly memorable pranks and helps when teasing new acquaintances.

Exploring complex systems is a much larger part of what I do for enjoyment. Typically, I begin with a once-over, exploring as much of the whole as possible, so that an impression of the system is formed with my Ni. Then, some parts of the system will inevitably call my attention, and I'll begin to carefully dissect that part of the system with Ti.

Ni is a drydock that lifts the system out into an isolated environment so that I can observe more efficiently, scouring various parts with my Ti engineers. Ni illuminates various parts of the system, letting the engineers know where the dis-assembly points are.

·
Banned
613 Posts

Never mind analyzing how Ne and Ti work, leave that up to INTXs.

1-Abstraction
2-Synthesis
3-Experimentation
4-If necessary back to step 1
5-Actualization

1 - 16 of 16 Posts