Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lying on my couch. A T-shirt is lying on the couch's back. I look at it and I can feel "it". It's something more than a T-shirt.

It is an item, an object, I know this. But it has another dimention to it. Some potential for feeling that can be asociated with it. Not a specific feeling but potential for feeling. It has an existance beyond what we simply see.

The more I have of this, the more pleasure I recieve from the world and the more harmonious I feel. If it extends, it becomes my connection with everything, the cosmos, the universe.

There was a period in my life where I've lost that (and I'm not very high on that right now) and it was very bad period associated with depression.

This is rough description. I'll rework it in the future. Perhaps with a new post. But in the mean time, is this what we call Sensor Introvert? Is this what you feel?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah, that description sounds a bit too object-focused and... cosmos-y. I don't need something physical to spark Si.

If I was going to attach a more visceral experience to Si, I guess it's a rush of emotions (usually negative) whenever I recall certain events. Which every types of course feels or does, but the reason it's a dominant function for us I assume is because of the intensity and the part the feelings plays in our decision making.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hmmm, I'm not sure if I understand your description of your experience. What does "more than a shirt" mean? Does the shirt have sentimental value to you in any way? What you're describing sounds more like an Intuitive experience than a Sensing one...just my first thoughts...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
SimpleSauropod said:
Yeah, that description sounds a bit too object-focused and... cosmos-y. I don't need something physical to spark Si.
"Yeah" as in you identify with this feeling?

You're not object-focused and cosmos-y yourself? That isn't critism, I'm only trying to understand.

For me it's not an object, it's matter. It exists. This fact, that it exists and that it is present causes the feeling.

SimpleSauropod said:
a rush of emotions (usually negative) whenever I recall certain events
Oh, I thik I have that too. I remember past experiences that I held myself back. I repress my anger a lot and when I remember a situation where I stepped back, I get angry again :p Those memories tend to come more often when I'm stressed. I think they come back so that I can resolve the issue. Find out what made me angry. I just recently discovered why I was angry in a situation that took place 3 years ago.

alittleflower said:
Hmmm, I'm not sure if I understand your description of your experience. What does "more than a shirt" mean? Does the shirt have sentimental value to you in any way? What you're describing sounds more like an Intuitive experience than a Sensing one...just my first thoughts...
I don't know if it was an intuitive experience but your suggestion was :D I didn't thought about that - that perhaps the shirt is special to me. The shirt itself is not special to me but I recently wore it in two special cases, so... yeah :D Good call!

I do have an attention to detail. I can start to explore something by following one thing, one detail, and then reveal something completely unrelated. Asociations. Like unraveling a sweater. One emotion is connected to another, and that is connected to another, and then I reach a realization which could be completely irrelevant to the object itself.

I think I get this experience with foreign objects as well. Sometimes I see a car and I like to play games in my imagination as to what kind of a person drives that and what kind of a life they have. What kind of missed oportunities. If they fulfilled their purpose in life - if the car is old. Or perhaps the owner is young and he just bought and old car. So old gives something to new. The circle of death and life. Hmmm... perhaps I'm overthinking things, or I don't know, something might be missing from my life.

Speaking of old, this happens if I visit an abandoned place too. I can imagine it's history, and the people that lived there. Their life, their experiences, their emotions. Their end. And twice as strong if the place had pain in it, like a sanitarium.

Brown93 said:
You sound like an Ni user
It's possible I'm using both at different times. In different situations. Or perhaps one fires the other. You know, like good teamwork :D

I think I listen to my insticts more in technical matters. Engineering for example. But in general, I do tend to tell my hunches to "Shut up! It's not that! You're wrong! Don't come back to me! No! I haven't thought about this! I need to think about this! Think! Think!", and theeeen I'm feeling empty. But I think all Sensors feel that. Insticts are there, we just choose not to listen to them. We prefer to stay with the 'facts'.

It is in my future plans to investigate the effect that a restrictive enviroment (an enviroment that directs the child "do this, do that, this is how things are") and an emotionally dry enviroment can have on those things.

Oh, I became blabby, haven't I? :p

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Well, Jungian Introverted Sensing is about a form of sensing that is highly subjective.

That means that Introverted Sensing follows two paradigms:

1) As a form of sensing, it focuses on tangible reality rather than possibilities.
2) As an introverted function, it detaches from the object (subjection) in order to process the information.

So, Introverted Sensing is focused on gathering the subjective reality of an object - the qualities of which are personally perceived and have personal weight placed on them. That's why a given shirt is, aside from being a shirt, a shirt that you associate with a comfortable feeling for you. While this example is vague and can be part of overall human experience (everyone has comfortable and not-so-comfortable shirts), Introverted Sensing is about having this approach to the majority of perceptions tasked with. The introverted sensing user is guided by these subjective perceptions about the reality of an object rather than the object itself.

Introverted Intuition is similar in the terms of the subjection of the object, but it lies on the realm of possibilities rather than realities.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I see Si in my mother, it usually manifests itself in comparisons to the past. Whenever my sister does something, my mom will go, "If I had done that to my mother, I would've been buried six feet under!" Or she'll come home and reach over to turn the lamp on only to find it's an inch to the right of where it usually is, and will ask, "Who moved the lamp?" She frequently replays memories in her mind, and each time, she finds a new way she could've handled the situation. Sometimes when she's really mad, she'll say, "We could've done this, this, or even this!" and I just stare at her and tell her, "The first two aren't even feasible and you would've never actually done the third thing. Why are you torturing yourself?" I think this is how inferior Ne manifests itself in Si-doms, especially 6s.

Anyway, that's my basic understanding of Si and how it would feel.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So the feelings I describe are the things I do with Si.

Kill Devil Hill, what your mother does sounds familiar.

And Herp, that was the most sound and clear explaination I could have asked. Have you thought about writing a guide? Also, I like your shirt :D

Thanks guys!

jehneefur, sure, it's all yours :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
"Yeah" as in you identify with this feeling?

You're not object-focused and cosmos-y yourself? That isn't critism, I'm only trying to understand.

For me it's not an object, it's matter. It exists. This fact, that it exists and that it is present causes the feeling.
I mean I didn't really relate to the example. Though it's probably more the way it was described, like others mentioned out that explanation might make more sense to N users. :)

Matter is definitely versatile. For me, the trigger most often is situations or events similar to the past.

Oh, I thik I have that too. I remember past experiences that I held myself back. I repress my anger a lot and when I remember a situation where I stepped back, I get angry again :p Those memories tend to come more often when I'm stressed. I think they come back so that I can resolve the issue. Find out what made me angry. I just recently discovered why I was angry in a situation that took place 3 years ago.
Yes, from what I've understood, resolving past issues is very important to Si users.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SimpleSauropod said:
that explanation might make more sense to N users. :)
Good point. I'll ask them ;)

SimpleSauropod said:
Matter is definitely versatile. For me, the trigger most often is situations or events similar to the past.
Oh yeah, that too. Sometimes I just walk on the street, I remember something (our of nowhere!), and an emotional response comes in. It usually ends in me making a realization. It's awesome :D

SimpleSauropod said:
Yes, from what I've understood, resolving past issues is very important to Si users.
Maybe it's our way of improoving ourselves ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I see Si in my mother, it usually manifests itself in comparisons to the past. Whenever my sister does something, my mom will go, "If I had done that to my mother, I would've been buried six feet under!" Or she'll come home and reach over to turn the lamp on only to find it's an inch to the right of where it usually is, and will ask, "Who moved the lamp?" She frequently replays memories in her mind, and each time, she finds a new way she could've handled the situation. Sometimes when she's really mad, she'll say, "We could've done this, this, or even this!" and I just stare at her and tell her, "The first two aren't even feasible and you would've never actually done the third thing. Why are you torturing yourself?" I think this is how inferior Ne manifests itself in Si-doms, especially 6s.

Anyway, that's my basic understanding of Si and how it would feel.
The old "I'm INFJ and my mother is ISFJ" spiel...

This is not Si. Not even remotely (except maybe the perception of multiple solutions).

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I don't know... if I had to describe Si somehow, I'd say it's more about feeling others' presence and being intensely aware of what kind of effect different stimuli have on you. It's all about the feel and the experience as a whole. When I come across situations I associate things to feelings I've had in the past. For example, if I know a place has always been crowded when I've gone there, I get slightly nervous because I anticipate it being the case again. So I make judgments based on experience for the most part. I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The old "I'm INFJ and my mother is ISFJ" spiel...

This is not Si. Not even remotely (except maybe the perception of multiple solutions).
Okay, then what form of perception is it? Because it certainly is some form of perception, as she easily discerns differences between situations that nobody else in my family sees. Or perhaps is it a form of perception that most mothers have to end up assuming regardless of type?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Okay, then what form of perception is it? Because it certainly is some form of perception, as she easily discerns differences between situations that nobody else in my family sees. Or perhaps is it a form of perception that most mothers have to end up assuming regardless of type?
The latter has definitely wrought my mind, in the past. I think parenting in general can turn the most steadfast of types into low-functioning introverted irrationals, both Si and Ni. Was it in them to begin with? I'm not sure.

Si is a lot like Fi. It has a core, an incredible sense of a self, able to very strongly relate its existence as an object to its subjective influence in its environment. Contrast against Ni, who very strongly relates its existence as a subject in its environment. Ni doesn't really have a "core" self, which is why Ni users often report strong Deja Vu, or a detachment from reality. They possess a distinct inability to reconcile their existence as an object in the universe, never truly examining the way reality is manifest or the relationship between the psyche and environment. This task is best done by Si, of the four irrational functions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
NineTypesOfLight said:
I don't know... if I had to describe Si somehow, I'd say it's more about feeling others' presence and being intensely aware of what kind of effect different stimuli have on you. It's all about the feel and the experience as a whole. When I come across situations I associate things to feelings I've had in the past. For example, if I know a place has always been crowded when I've gone there, I get slightly nervous because I anticipate it being the case again. So I make judgments based on experience for the most part. I hope that makes sense.
It does. And I can relate to that. I think :tongue:

Is this reduced when you are anxious/stressed? Perhaps stressed for long (months)? In other words, do you loose connection with the world when stressed?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts