Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently discovered my passion for psychology, I love the 16 types MBTI test, I've looked into socionics a bit, but not the enneagram yet. I'm very new to the field, so I'm very lost but excited. So, I mean absolutely no offense to anyone, but could someone tell me:

Is the Enneagram based in science, and only relates to that? Or is this one of the new age sort of thing? (Kinda curious about socionics too, if someone could answer for both I'd really appreciate it)

I haven't heard much about these tests, but I prefer to stay clear of the new age stuff due to my own personal beliefs.

:) any help would be super appreciated!

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
Well...imo it depends on how you approach it.

Don't think the Enneagram is strictly based on science, more of a speculative theory

I'm not sure what the parameters of being New Age are, personally it's something I avoid and Enneagram can veer uncomfortably close but to me it depends...supposedly it is a spiritual system but to me it is more interesting as a personality classification tool, has some useful insights as well and seems accurate, in my experience and is interesting way of looking at things. And actually I know the Vatican at least does consider it new-age and has warned against (using it for spiritual growth), not familiar otherwise.

Socionics I don't think anyone would consider New Age at all and is based on behaviours. Not sure how scientific it is.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Is the Enneagram based in science, and only relates to that? Or is this one of the new age sort of thing?
It's used in many ways. It's based on nine psychological types. The types help you gain insight into yourself and other people. How it's used after that is up to whoever's using it. Some use it for spiritual development. Some use it for psychological development. Some use it in the business world. Some use it for writing fictional characters. Etc., etc. I'd be careful about confusing what it offers with how different people might use it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
It's thousands of years old, going back to the Christian Desert Fathers and mystic branches of Islam. Hardly "New Age".

The famous mystic Franciscan Catholic priest, Fr. Richard Rohr, has written a book and delivered seminars about the Enneagram and advocates for its use as a tool to understand our own and other people's behaviour, and improve our behaviour as a result. This is a page about it from his website: https://cac.org/the-enneagram-an-introduction/

Here he is talking about Enneagram type One, as I see that's what you are.

Reactions: Dangerose

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just recently discovered my passion for psychology, I love the 16 types MBTI test, I've looked into socionics a bit, but not the enneagram yet. I'm very new to the field, so I'm very lost but excited. So, I mean absolutely no offense to anyone, but could someone tell me:

Is the Enneagram based in science, and only relates to that? Or is this one of the new age sort of thing? (Kinda curious about socionics too, if someone could answer for both I'd really appreciate it)

I haven't heard much about these tests, but I prefer to stay clear of the new age stuff due to my own personal beliefs.

:) any help would be super appreciated!
If you want to steer clear of New Age stuff, you should probably avoid the internet in its entirety. Those New Age folks are all over it these days...

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
It is a mix of typology and spiritualness. The "spiritual" bits don't seem to add much to it though. As far as I can tell, that part is just them trying to give you reasons to explore enneagram types. I don't think it's safe to say that it's a science though. It seems to be more of general observations/wise people noticing stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts